Poll: How bad is Racism in EKY?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Non-Existint
8.11%
Mild
51.35%
Bad
35.14%
Terrible
5.41%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Racism in Eastern Kentucky
Just would to hear your thoughts on this issue. I think it is pretty bad the way people treat others around this area because of their skin color. I know it occurs in all parts of the country but I think it is pretty bad here. Mostly every day I hear a racist comment from someone in the community (county and city). So, do you guys think it is bad or not so bad or could be worse?
I ain't racist, there are black people I don't like the same as there are white people I don't like. I played at Pikeville College and you know how many blacks there are up there. I had alot of black friends and still do, but there are some I wouldn't piss on if they caught on fire. I know the racism could be ALOT worse. I'm suprised there aint been any beatins durin Hillbilly Days or somethin, but most people are all talk anyways.
Touchy subject...Let's keep our comments out of the gutters. That includes using words like "colored."
The way I see it is that there are racists in this area, but like Redneck said, most people are all talk. They talk alot of crap behind closed doors, but I bet if it came down to them confronting an african american, they would duck and run. Personally I dont have a problem with them, except for the comedians that say they have had a hard life and all that, well white people have to and for the same reasons they have. Thats all that kills me, I know they got a bad deal throughout history, the thing is, most of it was in the days of slavery and into the 70's. It hasnt been as bad since then. I think white people have had it worse since then, we have a sh*tty government that screws everybody over no matter what ethnicity they are. I just dont get the rebel flag thing, whats with that? Why is it so racist and also why do white people get so into it, like it makes them look so big and bad like they arent to be messed with. Oh well, I could care less either way, like I said before, most racists are all bark and no bite.
Yeah racism exists. But the blacks downing the whites is as bad or worse than the whites downing the blacks. I think there are five hundred million things the government AND our society needs to concentrate on rather than this so called race issue. To me, its barely existent.
I don't think Racism is right, but I agree with TideHoss32, racism goes both ways.
It's borderline Bad-Terrible in Eastern Kentucky, and borderline bad everywhere in Kentucky maybe with the exception of Louisville. I know from experience it's a lot worse in Pike County than here in Lexington.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:It's borderline Bad-Terrible in Eastern Kentucky, and borderline bad everywhere in Kentucky maybe with the exception of Louisville. I know from experience it's a lot worse in Pike County than here in Lexington.

Up here in Northern Kentucky, it's not really bad at all. Yeah, sometimes a comment or two will be said and then people will be all up in arms about it. At my college though we hear more than the rest of the area just because it's people from all over, but even that's not horrible.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is a lot of racism going on in this area. A lot of people still have racist views but choose to keep quiet. But that doesn't matter, if you're a "covert" (Hidden, do not publicly speak about your racism. This typically happens while applying to for a job.) racist or an "Overt" (Outspoken, intending to cause harm) racist, all forms of racism are bad.
Racism has always been around in the US and the world. Examples in the US range from the Japs during world war 2, to the blacks and now to middle eastern people.

I know a lot of people that are Covert racist. You would never know it unless you were close friends with them.

I myself could care less what race you are, they are good and bad people of every color and religion.
Coach_Owens87 Wrote:There is a lot of racism going on in this area. A lot of people still have racist views but choose to keep quite. But that doesnt matter, if youre a "covert" (Hidden, do not publicly speak about your racism. This typically happens while applying to for a job.) racist or a "Overt" (Outspoken, intending to cause harm) racist, all forms of racism are bad.
Racism has always been around in the US and the world. Examples in the US range from the Japs during world war 2, to the blacks and now to middle eastern people.

I know a lot of people that are Covert racist. You would never know it unless you were close friends with them.

I myself could care less what race you are, they are good and bad people of every color and religion.

Agree with all of your post, but with the last part, I add that there is bad people in every race, color, and religion, and often times a lot or some of them play into the stereotypes, and that's the only part that the public sees or hears about, which makes the racism and/or stereotypes stronger.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
I think there is some racism, but I think it is more prevalent in some of the older generations and less so in younger age groups.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I think there is some racism, but I think it is more prevalent in some of the older generations and less so in younger age groups.

That's because people's worlds today are much bigger than the worlds of the people in older generations. Today, kids and people are exposed to more and it's commonly thought of as more of a wrong to be racist than it was in older generations.
BFritz Wrote:That's because people's worlds today are much bigger than the worlds of the people in older generations. Today, kids and people are exposed to more and it's commonly thought of as more of a wrong to be racist than it was in older generations.
I don't think many people would care if it makes them wrong i just think younger generations are more accepting of different ethnicities and don't think as much where they come from as older folks do.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I don't think many people would care if it makes them wrong i just think younger generations are more accepting of different ethnicities and don't think as much where they come from as older folks do.

It's just the times they grew up in. Some of the older folks grew up before the civil rights movement, when it was accepted to treat people different because of their skin color. However, these days schools are desegregated and people of different races can intermingle just about anywhere.

Side note, I've heard it mentioned before that churches are still the most segregated part of our present society, and it certainly seems that people tend to go to church with others of the same race. Any thoughts from anybody about this?
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:It's just the times they grew up in. Some of the older folks grew up before the civil rights movement, when it was accepted to treat people different because of their skin color. However, these days schools are desegregated and people of different races can intermingle just about anywhere.

Side note, I've heard it mentioned before that churches are still the most segregated part of our present society, and it certainly seems that people tend to go to church with others of the same race. Any thoughts from anybody about this?
I don't kow much but just speculating maybe they grew up going to different churches and even though other things became where both would go they just kept going to the church that their past generations did. Like most children go to the church that they were raiised in. I think that eventually it will become less like that but it will take time not because of race but because of tradition.
Everyone please be mindful that BluegrassRival’s is a multi-race community and you may be communicating with many different ethnicities. What is considered acceptable by some may not be acceptable by another. Often misunderstandings can occur because of the way something has been written, and other people can take offense.

I believe racism portrays ignorance. Judging someone because of their race is narrow-minded. Alexander the Great once stated, “I do not separate people, as do the narrow-minded, into Greeks and barbarians. I am not interested in the origin or race of citizens. I only distinguish them on the basis of their virtue. For me each good foreigner is a Greek and each bad Greek is worse than a barbarian. “Essentially, what Alexander is saying here is that there are good and bad people in every race. Judge the individual, not the race. The world is full of ignorant and evil people from all different ethnicities. At the same time the world is full of peaceful, understanding, and educated people from all different ethnicities. In the end we are all human beings, all part of the same human race. Audrey Smedley (2007) points out that the very idea of 'race' implies inequality and hierarchy. It has also been claimed that biologically there are no scientific classifications that delineate human groups into 'races' (Graves 2004).

To me this thread is bias because it generalizes only one specific area of Kentucky and only specific race, and doesn’t offer any other comparisons. For instances, Why not ask, “Is racism any more wide spread/prevalent in Eastern Kentucky than it is in Western Kentucky, Central Kentucky, Northern Kentucky or an entirely different state for that matter?” Now, I assume you are implying that only white people are racists in Eastern Kentucky. (Even more bias) Why point out one specific race? Are races outside of white people incapable of being racists?

The thread should have been titled, “Is the state of Kentucky racist?” or even “Are you racists?” If a random sampling was conducted throughout the state I guarantee results/statistics would be similar across the board.

I am from Eastern Kentucky and I don’t know any racists people. I have never heard of any racist organizations or cults, no hate crimes based on race, no racial discrimination in the workplace, has ever occurred that I am aware of, at least not in my lifetime, and I’m 30 years old. There were/are multi-cultured people all around me (from school, to sports, to work, to church.) and everyone interacts and coexists without any problems whatsoever. Where, exactly, are people that assume Eastern Kentucky is racist gathering facts? Am, I implying that racism doesn't exist in Eastern Kentucky? No, I am not, I just never experienced it. Ignorant and narrow-minded people are abundant throughout our world. Not just Kentucky or Eastern Kentucky. Just turn on the news.
calQlate Wrote:Everyone please be mindful that BluegrassRival’s is a multi-race community and you may be communicating with many different ethnicities. What is considered acceptable by some may not be acceptable by another. Often misunderstandings can occur because of the way something has been written, and other people can take offense.

I believe racism portrays ignorance. Judging someone because of their race is narrow-minded. Alexander the Great once stated, “I do not separate people, as do the narrow-minded, into Greeks and barbarians. I am not interested in the origin or race of citizens. I only distinguish them on the basis of their virtue. For me each good foreigner is a Greek and each bad Greek is worse than a barbarian. “Essentially, what Alexander is saying here is that there are good and bad people in every race. Judge the individual, not the race. The world is full of ignorant and evil people from all different ethnicities. At the same time the world is full of peaceful, understanding, and educated people from all different ethnicities. In the end we are all human beings, all part of the same human race. Audrey Smedley (2007) points out that the very idea of 'race' implies inequality and hierarchy. It has also been claimed that biologically there are no scientific classifications that delineate human groups into 'races' (Graves 2004).

To me this thread is bias because it generalizes only one specific area of Kentucky and only specific race, and doesn’t offer any other comparisons. For instances, Why not ask, “Is racism any more wide spread/prevalent in Eastern Kentucky than it is in Western Kentucky, Central Kentucky, Northern Kentucky or an entirely different state for that matter?” Now, I assume you are implying that only white people are racists in Eastern Kentucky. (Even more bias) Why point out one specific race? Are races outside of white people incapable of being racists?

The thread should have been titled, “Is the state of Kentucky racist?” or even “Are you racists?” If a random sampling was conducted throughout the state I guarantee you would be similar results across the board.

I am from Eastern Kentucky and I don’t know any racists people. I have never heard of any racist organizations or cults, no hate crimes based on race, no racial discrimination in the workplace, has ever occurred that I am aware of, at least not in my lifetime, and I’m 30 years old. There were/are multi-cultured people all around me (from school, to sports, to work, to church.) and everyone interacts and coexists without any problems whatsoever. Where, exactly, are people that assume Eastern Kentucky is racist gathering facts? Am, I implying that racism doesn't exist in Eastern Kentucky? No, I am not, I just never experienced it. Ignorant and narrow-minded people are abundant throughout our world. Not just Kentucky or Eastern Kentucky. Just turn on the news.
Well first I'm sorry if this topic was offensive to anyone and second I have just been tired of hearing poeple in the community make racial slurs and comments not neccessarily being full-blown racist but still the comments out of hand. And it was intended that the majority of EKY is caucasian and the topic of being raicst was not intended to one specific group but at all races and groups. Such as African Americans, Asians, or any type of religion that may be subjected to prejudice hate or iggnorant comments. But, if by any means if I have crossed any lines I am very sorry and it was not intended to put down or hurt anyone. Just a topic to talk about and see how others feel about this subject.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Just would to hear your thoughts on this issue. I think it is pretty bad the way people treat others around this area because of their skin color. I know it occurs in all parts of the country but I think it is pretty bad here. Mostly every day I hear a racist comment from someone in the community (county and city). So, do you guys think it is bad or not so bad or could be worse?

Panther Thunder, Where exactly, and what age group, is this kind of racists behavior occurring? Not that I don't believe you, because I do. It deeply saddens me that this day and time that racism is even a discussion.
calQlate Wrote:Panther Thunder, Where exactly, and what age group, is this kind of racists behavior occurring? Not that I don't believe you, because I do. It deeply saddens me that this day and time that racism is even a discussion.
It is with teenagers. I know for a fact that most of the people I hear the comments from are not racist, but they still are making stpid remarks that belittle another person because of his race or religion. And occasionally you will hear comments like that from adults but I dont talk to them as much lol. But like i sadi most of it is not full out racisim or hate but just dumb comments that aren't needed. But there was an instance that I heard about at Shelby Valley that I'm not sure is true or not, but it involvea a group of kids downing a kid because he was african-american.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Well first I'm sorry if this topic was offensive to anyone and second I have just been tired of hearing poeple in the community make racial slurs and comments not neccessarily being full-blown racist but still the comments out of hand. And it was intended that the majority of EKY is caucasian and the topic of being raicst was not intended to one specific group but at all races and groups. Such as African Americans, Asians, or any type of religion that may be subjected to prejudice hate or iggnorant comments. But, if by any means if I have crossed any lines I am very sorry and it was not intended to put down or hurt anyone. Just a topic to talk about and see how others feel about this subject.

I wasn't singling you out as an individual panther thunder. I am on your side here. Sorry, if I come across wrong. Your question is a legitimate concern for any geographical location. I am thankful you are concerned about the perception and the actions of people in Eastern Kentucky.
But in fact, my reply was intended to the generalization or stereotyping that is often made towards Eastern Kentucky, in regards to racism, and not towards you as an individual. The question you ask is a fairly common one. You see, I am from Eastern Kentucky and I am not racist. I am educated and happy to be from Eastern Kentucky. I just don't want anyone to assume just because I'm from Eastern Kentucky that I'm racist and uneducated. I was just reiterating this in my post is all.
I don't even think this needs to be discussed...we should all be over this racist crap by now. It's 2007 not 1967.
calQlate Wrote:I am from Eastern Kentucky and I don’t know any racists people. I have never heard of any racist organizations or cults, no hate crimes based on race, no racial discrimination in the workplace, has ever occurred that I am aware of, at least not in my lifetime, and I’m 30 years old.

Q, there have been a couple of race/hate crimes in Pike County in the past 5 years.
One was a fire started on the porch of african american residents.
Another was a burning cross in a yard.

I also do know of racist discrimination in the workplace in Pikeville in the past 6 months.

It still happens.
Black Entertainment Television (or, BET), all black colleges (Southern U, Grambling, etc), United ***** College Fund, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), Black History Month, ......is this not racism towards the whites? I definitely believe it is. Is this STILL some kind of an attempt to segregate themselves from the whites? I defnitely believe it is. However if there was All White Television, all white colleges, United Caucasion College Fund, National Association for the Advancement of White People, and White History month, THAT could be considered racism. Truth is, there is just as much racism from the blacks towards whites as whites towards blacks. I remember Charles Barkley once said, while frustrated in an interview "Jeez, thats why I hate white people"..And not a thing was done about it. When he should have been fined severely and suspended half a season or more. John Rocker basically lost his career over it. Is that not right? Im not trying to start a race war on here, but the racism goes both ways.
Very good points TH32! You took the the line about how would it look if there were all white colleges and such! What kind of label would that get? And say there were a United Caucasion Fund? Exactly, it would get bashed and would never be allowed in the first place! I don't see a problem with it. Like Redneck, I have some black friends and would def. be right there with them if they needed me, but I just don't see a problem whatsoever!
It's always disappointed me that any folks from Eastern KY were racist. I have always been very upset when our region is stereotyped & it never made sense to me that we would do the same to others.
Sadly every place has some racists. I have lived in Louisville for over 4 years now & have heard some very racist comments.
Also, I owned a small business for a while in Lexington at the turn of the century. Customers would walk in off the street not knowing anything about me other than what they saw, I am a pale white guy who had blond hair at the time, and say the most racist things about every different group of people. It never ceased to amaze me.
I do believe it exist here in eastern kentucky but the BIGGESTS PREJUDICE is between the rich and the poor, or in the words of george w bush "the haves and the have nots".
More Cowbell Wrote:It's just the times they grew up in. Some of the older folks grew up before the civil rights movement, when it was accepted to treat people different because of their skin color. However, these days schools are desegregated and people of different races can intermingle just about anywhere.

I cant speak for anyone else. But I go to a Baptist church where there are alot of people of color that are members of that church. Im just as proud to call them my brothers and sisters in Christ as I am anyone else. Were all the same in GODs eyes IMO. Could race relations be better in this area? Yes they could. But, with that being said. How many cross burnings do we hear of or church bombings around here? hardly any although if it happens once its bad enough. So my point is that even though race relations arent good around here, they could be alot worse.
Panther Thunder Wrote:It is with teenagers. I know for a fact that most of the people I hear the comments from are not racist, but they still are making stpid remarks that belittle another person because of his race or religion. And occasionally you will hear comments like that from adults but I dont talk to them as much lol. But like i sadi most of it is not full out racisim or hate but just dumb comments that aren't needed. But there was an instance that I heard about at Shelby Valley that I'm not sure is true or not, but it involvea a group of kids downing a kid because he was african-american.

I agree with you that it is a problem that seems to exist in younger (as well as the older generation) people. I did hear about that incident from a very close friend that goes to Valley. I think it just proves that racism will exist as long as kids and teens grow up in an environment where it is in common slag and and common behavior to be condescending toward a different race. When a kid grows up in a family that makes jokes or talks about other races in a negative manner, it WILL have a lasting effect on the child. Futhermore, it is ludacris to think that it is not brought from the home to school. These kids may not have a hatred or a true racism towards another ethnic group but the fact is that kids pick it up from the parents and once it becomes normal in their minds, it is there for society to shape and misconscrew their ideas of other groups.
TidesHoss32 Wrote:Black Entertainment Television (or, BET), all black colleges (Southern U, Grambling, etc), United ***** College Fund, National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), Black History Month, ......is this not racism towards the whites? I definitely believe it is. Is this STILL some kind of an attempt to segregate themselves from the whites? I defnitely believe it is. However if there was All White Television, all white colleges, United Caucasion College Fund, National Association for the Advancement of White People, and White History month, THAT could be considered racism. Truth is, there is just as much racism from the blacks towards whites as whites towards blacks. I remember Charles Barkley once said, while frustrated in an interview "Jeez, thats why I hate white people"..And not a thing was done about it. When he should have been fined severely and suspended half a season or more. John Rocker basically lost his career over it. Is that not right? I'm not trying to start a race war on here, but the racism goes both ways.

The only reason those schools where set up was to give blacks a place to get an education. Grambling was founded in 1901 and Southern was founded in 1880. So those schools where around when blacks had no rights, it was basically their only way to get an education.

Maybe you don't, but it seems to me that you hold some anger against black people. You seem to me like you're a Covert Racist.

To say that blacks somehow have special rights over whites is absurd. Whites still dominate the media and corporate world.

You're remarks are absolutely absurd, you really need to study things more before you make crazy remarks.

It's crazy when people think racism only goes two ways, racism covers all races, not just blacks and whites, and as long as people hold ideals like yours, it will continue.