Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Raceland at Belfry (Scrimmage)
Football is finally here boys and girls. This Friday, August 9th, the Pirates take on the Rams in the first action of the 2019 football season at 6:30pm on Pond Creek. Who's coming?
Rams by eleventy billion!
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Rams by eleventy billion!

Good luck to you guys. Can't wait. I've always liked and respected the Ram program. Should be fun for both teams. Just pray for an injury free scrimmage!
Anybody know what the format is?
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Anybody know what the format is?

No clue. My guess is they'll probably run 10-20 plays of offense then switch to defense a couple times with a little of special teams mixed in. Just a guess though.
Hopefully controlled scrimmage. We gonna need our guys healthy for our class A season
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Hopefully controlled scrimmage. We gonna need our guys healthy for our class A season

It'll be controlled brother. I think both sides are more focused on health than competition at this point. While they'll be some hitting and competition I dont see it being anything extreme. Lord knows health has been our Achilles Heel the last couple years. Still is!
Coach Haywood does his Scrimmage’s almost like a practice there really boring but it gives both teams somebody new to practice against
Should give us a good gage on our toughness. Belfry’s nova cane wishbone should let us know where we are defensively. I know they run other stuff but the power running game is the bread and butter
If like normal....Haywood usually does some special teams at first...not really live just lining up and giving both sides looks to get things going...Then it is usually varsity on varsity O and D for a couple of series 10 plays each. You run the ten plays and regardless of how many times you score or don't score you keep going. After the 10th play you switch O and D. Usally after 2 series Haywood likes to get some younger guys in then after that maybe another series or 2 starters on starters, sometimes going down markers and regular game situations. That is how he usually like them to go and he may tinker with the format a little bit.

I think these scrimmages will be extra important for both teams with Belfry having 2 major injuries in camp and now some sickness from what I am hearing. Developing some depth will be key.

For Raceland it cannot hurt to go against probably the best tandem of back in the east and an excellent running game.
I have said for years that I would love to see teams like Belfry on our regular season schedule. We dont have the numbers to fill the schedule with teams that have so much quality depth, but with Pikeville being what they've right now, we need test like Belfry and Ashland to show us what we need to work on. Not to say that the Russell's, Greenups, and Paintsvilles of the world cant, but a top 5 or 10 3A or larger school is going to give you an idea of what your pulse is, more so than a rivalry game will. That being said, I hope we can stay healthy and that this controlled scrimmage allows us to grow and see where we are from a physicality stand point. I also hope that all goes well and it leads to us getting some of these upper echelon big schools on the regular season schedule.
bucslover68 Wrote:If like normal....Haywood usually does some special teams at first...not really live just lining up and giving both sides looks to get things going...Then it is usually varsity on varsity O and D for a couple of series 10 plays each. You run the ten plays and regardless of how many times you score or don't score you keep going. After the 10th play you switch O and D. Usally after 2 series Haywood likes to get some younger guys in then after that maybe another series or 2 starters on starters, sometimes going down markers and regular game situations. That is how he usually like them to go and he may tinker with the format a little bit.

I think these scrimmages will be extra important for both teams with Belfry having 2 major injuries in camp and now some sickness from what I am hearing. Developing some depth will be key.

For Raceland it cannot hurt to go against probably the best tandem of back in the east and an excellent running game.

This man knows and is 100% correct.
FWIW, I have heard Bentley may be held out as a precaution. Raceland still should get some Isaac Dixon exposure though which will make them better.
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:Should give us a good gage on our toughness. Belfry’s nova cane wishbone should let us know where we are defensively. I know they run other stuff but the power running game is the bread and butter

FWIW, Belfry hasn't ran the old school wishbone since 2007/2008 with Dustin May and Ivan Lee and Thomas Varney.

Haywood has went to the flexbone and does more mid-line. Generally speaking the philosophy is still the same, grind yards between the guards with the FB, eat clock, force you to play sideline to sideline, and wait for the opportunity to cause a missed assignment and turn it into a big play.

Johnson Central still does a good bit of Wishbone, although Matney mixes formations more than most realize, but Haywood's Offense has evolved to something much more predicated on quickness and big plays. The Fullback is still the hard-nosed heart of his Offense, but you see a lot more jet sweeps, counters, and option looks out of the flexbone.
I’m not sure on Belfrys line this season but they are always strong. Raceland should not get discouraged if Belfry pops a couple 80 and 70 yard runs. Dixon is lightning fast and pretty big kid as well.
Guys, I realize Belfry is Belfry but I promise you that our little bity 1A school is coming to play football. Belfry might beat our brains in but don’t be shocked by our boys attitude heading into Pond Creek. Our boys walk onto any field expecting to play well and win. That being said, I hope this is the beginning of a great relationship between the schools. Playing a quality 3A power will only help us come playoff time.
sidelinedoc Wrote:Guys, I realize Belfry is Belfry but I promise you that our little bity 1A school is coming to play football. Belfry might beat our brains in but don’t be shocked by our boys attitude heading into Pond Creek. Our boys walk onto any field expecting to play well and win. That being said, I hope this is the beginning of a great relationship between the schools. Playing a quality 3A power will only help us come playoff time.

Should be great experience for both teams. Belfry will not be anywhere near 100 pct., but will still put a talented team out there for the scrimmage. Depth building will be a key outcome for the Pirates and hopefully no more injuries or sickness strikes. Good luck and safe travels to the Rams and looking forward to a hard hitting safe scrimmage.
#55PirateFan Wrote:Football is finally here boys and girls. This Friday, August 9th, the Pirates take on the Rams in the first action of the 2019 football season at 6:30pm on Pond Creek. Who's coming?

I’ll be on the field....taping ankles, etc
sidelinedoc Wrote:I’ll be on the field....taping ankles, etc

Hope to see you there my friend. Safe travels.
I expect some good updates!!
EKUAlum05 Wrote:This man knows and is 100% correct.
FWIW, I have heard Bentley may be held out as a precaution. Raceland still should get some Isaac Dixon exposure though which will make them better.

From my understanding Bentley is for at least next couple of weeks. This Belfry Team has been absolutely beset with unfortunate injuries and illness. The scrimmage tomorrow will give our young kids a good rest as to what they need to work on. Raceland will NOT see a true Belfry look tomorrow. The personnel simply isn’t available. However, definitely going to serve as an invaluable learning tool for the QB’s, young lineman and young rb’s. We just gotta come thru these with no stupid injuries.
We will be running a limited play book for sure. Starting QB out and Bentley not to mention other starters as well.
Looks like good news for the Rams
anotherfootballnut Wrote:Looks like good news for the Rams

If it were a regular season game I would say it is, but for a scrimmage I am sure Raceland wishes Belfry was at full strength as much as Belfry does, so they could have more practice reps against them.
I disagree , Raceland wants no part of a full strength Belfry team, it wouldn’t be competitive and getting out of there with no major injuries would be a big concern , I’m sure it still is but not as it would be if they had all their starters playing
EKUAlum05 Wrote:If it were a regular season game I would say it is, but for a scrimmage I am sure Raceland wishes Belfry was at full strength as much as Belfry does, so they could have more practice reps against them.

Being that I am still part of the program and 'nut is not, we would like to see Belfry at full strength. Pikeville gave them a great game last year and didn't lose anyone for the season. Playing superior competition will make us better for when it counts.
How did scrimmage go?
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:How did scrimmage go?

Wasn't much of one. Raceland came to play and smacked Belfry right square in the mouth! The Rams looked great! Season ready! The Pirates have ALOT of work to do because if they dont get healthy and get players on the same page, we need not worry about the playoffs because we'll be lucky to make it out of the District!
Wow! Thought we would be ok. Didn’t think that would happen. 4 new linebackers and replacing several lineman. Didn’t think we would look to awful good that early.
How was our team speed? Thought we looked fast during camp week
RAM-A-DEVIL Wrote:How was our team speed? Thought we looked fast during camp week

Raceland looked excellent in all three phases of the game. Nice speed, good lookin QB and Receivers, and good lookin defense. If I would say an improvement for them, and this is nit picking, I'd say they can improve a little in the run game. Other than that, you guys are ready for the season brother, IMO.