Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mercer Co. finds a 10th game - vs. a 2nd "colorful" Tenn. team
(I know MCHS isn't exactly in the coverage area, but this is the only Ky. board I post on.)

In addition to their Sept. 28th game with the Purple Tigers in Watertown (where Garth Brooks once filmed a Dr. Pepper commercial), the Titans have added a home game on [SIZE=2]Aug. 31st against the Greene Devils of Greeneville (make SURE you add that extra"e").

[/SIZE]
Well if they are DEVILS they will have trouble with them............
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
DEVILOLOGIST Wrote:Well if they are DEVILS they will have trouble with them............
Not if they have the same refs they had in the Finals against Russell last year. With those guys calling the game Mercer is unbeatable.
Tubby Hater Wrote:Not if they have the same refs they had in the Finals against Russell last year. With those guys calling the game Mercer is unbeatable.

thats true. those refs made me so mad.
I dont want to even get started on that game again. Our boys played hard thats all that mattered. Well winning would have been better but they were there.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
VHSL-helper Wrote:(I know MCHS isn't exactly in the coverage area, but this is the only Ky. board I post on.)

In addition to their Sept. 28th game with the Purple Tigers in Watertown (where Garth Brooks once filmed a Dr. Pepper commercial), the Titans have added a home game on [SIZE=2]Aug. 31st against the Greene Devils of Greeneville (make SURE you add that extra"e").

[/SIZE]
Anywhere in Kentucky is in the coverage area.

Will Mercer have to travel to both of the Tennesse schools next season in return for home games this year?
They go to Watertown this year
Tubby Hater Wrote:Not if they have the same refs they had in the Finals against Russell last year. With those guys calling the game Mercer is unbeatable.
Oh boo-hoo, Russell got beaten. Losers always try to blame the refs.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Oh boo-hoo, Russell got beaten. Losers always try to blame the refs.

Please do not group everyone into the same nutshell. Russell did get beaten but the way I see it at least they were there and had the opportunity to play in the state championship game 2 years in a row. Missed it by one game of going 3 years.

There were a couple of questionable calls. But The wind and lack of special teams play with the missed extra points seemed to be the death of my Devils. But with the way Mercer slaughtered everyone they played I was quite proud of my Devils keeping the score very respectable at 15-12. Hitting the carpet back to back is a special feat and my son has the honor of being one that was able to walk away with a ring in his high school career. How many out there have had that opportunity?
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:Oh boo-hoo, Russell got beaten. Losers always try to blame the refs.
I don't think Tubby Hater is even from Russell. As for losers. Coming up short in a state final game that could have gone either way is a pretty good accomplishment IMO.
Yeah come on fellas lets stop crying. We all know that Russell was beaten by the best AAAAA school ever to compete in AA............
FBALL Wrote:Anywhere in Kentucky is in the coverage area.
All I ever read are the "border" posts - Ashland down to M'boro. Never really paid attention to how much posting's done outside that area.
VHSL-helper Wrote:All I ever read are the "border" posts - Ashland down to M'boro. Never really paid attention to how much posting's done outside that area.

Please pass the word to anyone you know in the state. We would love to have more posters from the Western side of the state.

Help get the word out.
Midee1 Wrote:Please do not group everyone into the same nutshell. Russell did get beaten but the way I see it at least they were there and had the opportunity to play in the state championship game 2 years in a row. Missed it by one game of going 3 years.

There were a couple of questionable calls. But The wind and lack of special teams play with the missed extra points seemed to be the death of my Devils. But with the way Mercer slaughtered everyone they played I was quite proud of my Devils keeping the score very respectable at 15-12. Hitting the carpet back to back is a special feat and my son has the honor of being one that was able to walk away with a ring in his high school career. How many out there have had that opportunity?
I understand that I should not "...group everyone into the same nutshell...'" I am just saying that in close games the losing side almost always blames the refs or makes excuses instead of giving the winning team the respect they earned. Most, but not all of the posts from Eastern Kentucky are all about how Russell "Should" have won that game. Well I look it like Russell played a great game just to compete against Mercer last season. We all have our opinions and are entitled to express them, and I will agree to disagree on Russell getting the short end of the scoreboard because of the refs.

Matney's Prodigey Wrote:Yeah come on fellas lets stop crying. We all know that Russell was beaten by the best AAAAA school ever to compete in AA............
If Russell was in the same situation as Mercer County they would be treated the same way, so why complain about it? The rules put Mercer in 2A, and their title is legit.

TheBrahmaBull Wrote:We all have our opinions and are entitled to express them, and I will agree to disagree on Russell getting the short end of the scoreboard because of the refs.

I never said you could not express your opinion. I just asked you not to lump all of us into the same group as far as blaming the refs. I went as far as to give my opinion as to why they lost. I agree that Russell played a great game to keep it as close as they did and I am proud of that group of boys.
FBALL Wrote:I don't think Tubby Hater is even from Russell. As for losers. Coming up short in a state final game that could have gone either way is a pretty good accomplishment IMO.
Your right I am not from Russell, and I didnt really care who won the game. I was just there watching some great high school football. I was just saying that it seemed to me as if Mercer got every break and every questionable call went there way. I know that is part of football, but I just hate to see the refs play that big of a part in the outcome of the game. Both were great and I would say if the teams played ten times Mercer would probably win 9 of them because they had better athletes, but on that particular day it was a couple questionable calls that helped them win the crown. But that is just my opinion.
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:If Russell was in the same situation as Mercer County they would be treated the same way, so why complain about it? The rules put Mercer in 2A, and their title is legit.

I don't think anybody said your title wasn't legit. I would venture to say that you bringing it up is simply a reflection of the circumstances in which your team won the title. IMO, it was suspect at best. HOWEVER, the boys from Mercer and Russell played hard. Both deserve a lot of credit. I thought Russell overall out played Mercer. Mercer had more team speed and big play ability. They did what they had to do. Even though the refs played too large a role in the game & made some bone headed calls, Mercer won. I would personally say that I thought Russell lost the game do to some of the worst play calling I have ever seen. Why you would throw the ball in that kind of wind when your team is made to cram the ball down a teams throat, I'll NEVER understand. That's my opinion. Nothing else needs to be said.
RedDevilStXIUFan Wrote:I don't think anybody said your title wasn't legit. I would venture to say that you bringing it up is simply a reflection of the circumstances in which your team won the title. IMO, it was suspect at best. HOWEVER, the boys from Mercer and Russell played hard. Both deserve a lot of credit. I thought Russell overall out played Mercer. Mercer had more team speed and big play ability. They did what they had to do. Even though the refs played too large a role in the game & made some bone headed calls, Mercer won. I would personally say that I thought Russell lost the game do to some of the worst play calling I have ever seen. Why you would throw the ball in that kind of wind when your team is made to cram the ball down a teams throat, I'll NEVER understand. That's my opinion. Nothing else needs to be said.

yeah i totally agree with that......
im pretty sure that we ran that one pass play with sizemore throwing it in the maroon and white game as a joke
i didnt understand...
TheBrahmaBull Wrote:If Russell was in the same situation as Mercer County they would be treated the same way, so why complain about it? The rules put Mercer in 2A, and their title is legit.
I'm not even gonna pretend that the 2006 AA State title is Legit. It isn't, and never will be IMO.
I'm not gonna debate this with anyone either!!!!!

Secondly Mercer didn't beat Russell on the field.
They executed 1 play to perfection and that made the difference. When Jackson got loose outside and scrambled towards the goal line. Take away that play and Russell wins.

With that said, I think the problems MC is having this year is just a little Karma left over from 2006.
DevilsWin Wrote:I'm not even gonna pretend that the 2006 AA State title is Legit. It isn't, and never will be IMO.
I'm not gonna debate this with anyone either!!!!!

The title is legit. Look at the record books it will state the Mercer is the AA state champs. They played by the rules the KHSAA set forth and won. There is nothing to debate because you are dead wrong.

Quote:Secondly Mercer didn't beat Russell on the field.
They executed 1 play to perfection and that made the difference. When Jackson got loose outside and scrambled towards the goal line. Take away that play and Russell wins.

Mercer beat Russell both on the field and on the scoreboard. Please do not continue to try to give all of the Russell fan base a black eye with your view of the game. We do not all agree.

You say that take away that one play and Russell wins. Then if you take away both of Russells scores they get shut out. If you take away both of Mercers scores then Russell shut them out. We can look at any sport out there and find a reason the other team should have won. Take away 15 strokes from Tiger and he wouldn't have one last week. Take away 100 of Bond's home-runs and he wouldn't be anywhere near Aaron's record. Get my drift? Rolleyes Mercer did what they had to do on the field to win the game. Sure there were some questionable calls but show me a game out there that we think calls are not questionable. Mercer will be in the record books as the AA state champs and there is nothing anyone can do about it.
Now this this needs to get back on topic and that is Mercer finding a tenth game for this year. This thread has noting to do with last years team or the state championship game.
Midee1 Wrote:The title is legit. Look at the record books it will state the Mercer is the AA state champs. They played by the rules the KHSAA set forth and won. There is nothing to debate because you are dead wrong.

Mercer beat Russell both on the field and on the scoreboard. Please do not continue to try to give all of the Russell fan base a black eye with your view of the game. We do not all agree.

You say that take away that one play and Russell wins. Then if you take away both of Russells scores they get shut out. If you take away both of Mercers scores then Russell shut them out. We can look at any sport out there and find a reason the other team should have won. Take away 15 strokes from Tiger and he wouldn't have one last week. Take away 100 of Bond's home-runs and he wouldn't be anywhere near Aaron's record. Get my drift? Rolleyes Mercer did what they had to do on the field to win the game. Sure there were some questionable calls but show me a game out there that we think calls are not questionable. Mercer will be in the record books as the AA state champs and there is nothing anyone can do about it.
I've saw the Insight sports broadcast and I attended the game. It is what it is, nothing more nothing less. There were NO bad calls! The referee's did a marvelous job. Mercer County played a great game as did the Devils. Mercer County earned the win. They outplayed Russell on 1 play. The entire rest of the game Russell controlled the LOS and the tempo.
And to say that I would be giving the Russell fan base a black-eye is waaaaayyyyy outta line Midee 1. This is an opinion based board and all I'm doing is stating my opinion. You don't have to agree and you don't have to support. But if this board is gonna have any credibility you need to respect my opinion of the game as much as the next persons. Right is Right and Wrong is Wrong. BTW have you seen the shirts that the Russell Fan Base is buying?
They say:
Forget the Titans, Remember the Devils!
We play by the rules- All of them!
The Real AA Champs!

Got one?
DevilsWin Wrote:I've saw the Insight sports broadcast and I attended the game. It is what it is, nothing more nothing less. There were NO bad calls! The referee's did a marvelous job. Mercer County played a great game as did the Devils. Mercer County earned the win. They outplayed Russell on 1 play. The entire rest of the game Russell controlled the LOS and the tempo.
And to say that I would be giving the Russell fan base a black-eye is waaaaayyyyy outta line Midee 1. This is an opinion based board and all I'm doing is stating my opinion. You don't have to agree and you don't have to support. But if this board is gonna have any credibility you need to respect my opinion of the game as much as the next persons. Right is Right and Wrong is Wrong. BTW have you seen the shirts that the Russell Fan Base is buying?
They say:
Forget the Titans, Remember the Devils!
We play by the rules- All of them!
The Real AA Champs!

Got one?

Yes they outplayed Russell on that one play. That is what it takes to win games. Be just a bit better than the other team. Which Mercer happened to be that day. Like I said earlier I am proud of Russell and the way that they played. They held the highest scoring team in the state to just 15 points.

What I am sick of is the fact that Mercer played the hand they were dealt and won a championship pure and simple. It gives the Russell fan base a black eye because some out there consider them whiners because they cannot move on into the present.

As for the shirt I would absolutely not purchase one because it shows very poor sportsmanship in my opinion. Show me where Mercer did not play by the rules set forth by the KHSAA. The whole merger may have been pushed through very fast but no one has been able to give me any hard fast evidence that they cheated. Until then I think this poor horse has been beaten to death. Time to concentrate on this year and not dwell on things we cannot change.
DevilsWin Wrote:This is an opinion based board and all I'm doing is stating my opinion. You don't have to agree and you don't have to support. But if this board is gonna have any credibility you need to respect my opinion of the game as much as the next persons.

You speak of keeping the site credible. How credible with the site be viewed if people keep logging in to see the same old argument being rehashed 8 months later. If you notice most of the Russell faithful on here have moved on and are discussing the new team and season. That is how we keep the site credible. I am in no way saying you cannot have an opinion but times change and so do the topics of discussion. It is time to talk about this years Devils.
This thread has been taken to far off track. If someone would like to start a new thread to discuss Mercer Counties upcoming schedule feel free to do so.

Closed.