Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Your Favorite YouTube Channels?
(02-16-2021, 12:15 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(02-15-2021, 11:37 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(02-15-2021, 10:46 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(10-17-2019, 11:46 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: Most of the Youtube channels to which I subscribe are related to ham radio, 3D printing, or computer technology.

Cowboy Kent Rollins (mostly Tex-Mex cooking in cast iron skillets and Dutch ovens done by a very entertaining former chuck wagon cowboy cook)

Adam Celadin (If as a kid, you ever tried your hand at throwing a knife and sticking it into a tree, then you will learn on this channel why your knife clanged to the ground.)

JoergSprave - The Slingshot Channel - this is my go to channel for entertaining projectile launching - everything from BBs to arrows and bowling balls get launched from all sorts of inventive contraptions.

Sous Vide Everything - If you own a sous vide circulator or if you are curious about what sous vide cooking is, then you may enjoy this channel.

Dr. Becky - My favorite astronomy channel.

Anton Petrov - My second favorite astronomy channel.

TinHatRanch - My favorite prepper channel. It's too bad that this guy does not post more often.

Sargon of Akkad - I'm not sure how to describe this channel. Great political and societal commentary from a British libertarian. He describes himself as a liberal, but as a conservative, I find myself agreeing with him far more often than not. American liberals despise him.

Hoot,   check out  David Butler's  channel. Some of the best astronomy stuff on the net , in my opinion. I think you will love it.
Thanks. I have subscribed to David Butler's channel. Below are three other astronomy channels that you may enjoy:

Paul M. Sutter

Isaac Arthur (This guy sounds like the Barry Kripke character on the Big Bang Theory.)

Arvin Ash (Not strictly astronomy but the theoretical physics overlaps with astronomy.)
Thanks. I can't get enough astronomy- my favorite subject. As much as I love sports, astronomy is first. Been captivated by the universe since I was a five-year old.
I have also been interested in astronomy for a very long time. Light pollution is so bad where I live now that I no longer have a telescope. When I lived in Kentucky, I had a fairly large, cheap Dobsonian (10 inch diameter) telescope but at some point I would like to get a good Schmidt-Cassegrain scope and move to a less populated area. Ham radio is another hobby of mine, which would be more enjoyable with more elbow room.
I do find myself tuning to gmm lately cool content, also I watch binging with babish also caseyneistat, I like how he recreates foods from movies and tv shows, damn I didn't knew that the pandemic would leave me binge watching youtube, usually I actually bet and keep myself updated with international football over at betx
For some reason, the YouTube algorithm suggested a Russian travel channel to me one day, which got me interested in life in the former Soviet republics and led me to the bald and bankrupt channel. I have found that our media does as poor a job presenting how people live in other countries as it does showing us how average people live in the Appalachian mountains and in other parts of our own country.

The bald and bankrupt channel shows the good and the bad of living not just in the major cities of countries of the former USSR, India, Myanamar (Burma), Cuba, etc., but also how people live in small cities, towns, and villages around the world. Sadly, the guy who produces the channel, who is a native of England but speaks fluent Russian and some Hindi, comments in one video that the scariest places that he has been have been downtown Atlanta and Nashville. After watching quite a few of his videos, I believe him. It is amazing how much safer some of the poorest parts of the world are compared to the inner cities of this country.

Below is a sample video from the channel:

[Video: ]
While binge watching the bald and bankrupt YouTube channel, which is produced by Ben Rich, I found a similar channel belonging to Ben's Norwegian friend, Harald Baldr, who has a very successful travel channel of his own. These two guys have opened my eyes to the basic goodness of most human beings on this planet, regardless of where they live and regardless of whether they live in poverty or not. According to Ben Rich, the scariest areas that he has visited have been downtown Atlanta and Nashville - and he has traveled through many areas with reputations for being very dangerous. Some of their best videos feature the two of them traveling together.

If you want a shot of optimism, try watching a few videos on these two channels. Be forewarned that a few of the videos, especially on the bald and bankrupt channel feature some illegal or immoral content but don't let that stop you from enjoying the overall positive messages that these two guys deliver. For example, in a few videos that Ben Rich made in Bolivia, he bought small bags of coca leaves to try to break the ice with local villagers. Apparently, chewing coca leaves is legal and popular in Bolivia, but the country was one of the scariest place that he visited, and the coca leaves did not make the villagers any friendlier.

Harald is a genuinely nice guy who often gives generous sums of money to struggling entrepreneurs. In one video, the gave a 26 year old owner of a small tea shop in Thailand $1.000 to cover his rent for a month. In another video, he gave a free lance tour guide more than $1,000 after she described her business and gave him a tour of Florence. Harald has an interest in history and often features abandoned forts, museums, ancient churches and temples, etc. in his videos.

Below are some example videos.

I know I mentioned this guy before but it's worth another mention. If you like astronomy, this guy does some of the best astronomy stuff on the web.  Sometimes I will watch his videos when I lay down at night and will fall asleep to the sound of his voice. He is retired from a 40-year career in software development and has been doing astronomy videos on youtube for several years  Seems like he may have been a math and physics guy in college. He doesn't shy away from math and physics in his videos but he make it very understandable . He did a 16-part series called "How Far Away Is It" that was incredibly well done. Here's a more recent video where he is reviewing some things that happened in astronomy in 2020.

Townsends - Cooking and living in the 18th century.

Food Wishes - This is a very popular cooking channel. Chef John has a very unusual speech pattern but I have become used to it.

Tasting History with Max Miller - This a cooking channel that features recipes and food from throughout history. If you have ever wondered what a Roman legionnaire ate before marching into battle, then this channel is for you.

RussiaPlus - Russia through the eyes of an upper middle class Russian citizen who has lived in the U.S., loves this country and Russia, and speaks perfect English. He and his wife are currently in the U.S. on vacation and had dinner yesterday in nearby Alexandria, Virginia. Watching the couple drive through a very rough Philadelphia neighborhood was embarrassing as an American. Garbage everywhere, drugs, etc. In most of the world, inner cities are clean, safe and affluent, while their worst neighborhoods are on the outskirts of town. Americans, as well as tourists, should be able to visit historic attractions in American cities without fearing for their lives.
I love the RussiaPlus channel. Slava and Lena do a great job showing how average Russians live in various parts of Russia. They are also doing an outstanding job of portraying how Americans live from the perspective of Russian tourists as they spend a long vacation in this country. Today I watched videos about their visits with families in southern Georgia and on an Indiana farm. 

In Georgia, Slava drove an 18 wheeler around a training course when the couple visited a family that owns a trucking company. 

Slava also met the country sheriff and rode with him on patrol. Then he met with a Georgia state Senator who explained the legislative process in Georgia. The sheriff gave Slava a Trump bumper sticker but warned him not to place it on his vehicle if he was going to Chicago.

Slava's command of the English language and his knack for chronicling the lives of some very interesting Americans from diverse backgrounds. Watching how friendly Americans are to a couple of Russian tourists reminds me of what a great country we have.

The visit to an Indiana farm was equally inspiring. Slava and Lena visited a couple who live about 30 minutes from Purdue University. The wife had suffered a serious brain injury and bought a Tennessee Walker 20 years ago to help with her recovery. Now, she shares her experience with horses with others who have suffered serious brain injuries. Her husband is a blacksmith who makes knives.

Slava's videos of this country are filled with optimism compared with our own media's portrayal of this country. His videos of average Russian citizens are also outstanding. His video on Moscow is excellent and presents the city much differently than it is portrayed in our media. Russia's inner cities are very clean compared to ours. Russia's worst neighborhoods are on the outskirts of its cities but they seem to focus on keeping the centers of their cities presentable.
Athiest Experience is a program which features members of the Athiest Community of Austin(usually Matt Dillahunty & one more) taking calls from, and usually destroying, theists' weak, non-evidence-based claims. Very enlightening discussions.
(08-21-2021, 04:41 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Athiest Experience is a program which features members of the  Athiest Community of Austin(usually Matt Dillahunty & one more) taking calls from, and usually destroying, theists' weak, non-evidence-based claims.  Very enlightening  discussions.
Hopefully they discuss how awesome Hell will be.
I'm not a big music fan but I stumbled across the following YouTube channel a few weeks ago. If you grew up listening to classic rock during the 60s through the 90s, as I did, I think that you will enjoy the Professor of Rock channel too. Here is sample. This guy does some great interviews and he is a walking encyclopedia of music of the Rock Era.