Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems with younger fans
I was talking to someone to see if they were going to go to a scrimmage this friday because I'm trying to go and they said "No. None of my friends will be there."
This may not offend others but it really gets to me. If that is the only reason you go to the games on Friday nights why waste your money when you could sit at home with them? I love to watch any sport and just go to watch. But now it is more of a social event than it is a sporting event. I'm sure everyone knows people like this but I was just wandering what yuor views on this are.
Panther Thunder Wrote:I was talking to someone to see if they were going to go to a scrimmage this friday because I'm trying to go and they said "No. None of my friends will be there."
This may not offend others but it really gets to me. If that is the only reason you go to the games on Friday nights why waste your money when you could sit at home with them? I love to watch any sport and just go to watch. But now it is more of a social event than it is a sporting event. I'm sure everyone knows people like this but I was just wandering what yuor views on this are.
I had that problem many times in high school whether is be Away girls basketball games or baseball games or away boys basketball games. Just go and have fun and enjoy yourself. True fans don't miss games because they don't have any friends going. :Thumbs:
Kids are kids, did you go to the game in high school to just watch the game. I didn't, not in high school. Once I got out of high school I went to the games to actually watch the games. I am not saying this is true for all teenagers, but I would say it is so for the majority.
JFLDAD Wrote:Kids are kids, did you go to the game in high school to just watch the game. I didn't, not in high school. Once I got out of high school I went to the games to actually watch the games. I am not saying this is true for all teenagers, but I would say it is so for the majority.
no im still in high school.. im saying it is a problem with kids my age that are more concrened about who is dating who than the outcome of the game.
JFLDAD Wrote:Kids are kids, did you go to the game in high school to just watch the game. I didn't, not in high school. Once I got out of high school I went to the games to actually watch the games. I am not saying this is true for all teenagers, but I would say it is so for the majority.
Well, I actually went to watch. Didn't leave my seat before halftime and was back in it before the game started back up. Only time I was ever late for a game was when others would make me late. I was there to support the players, not to socialize with all my friends. I had 8 hours during school to do that.
I went to watch and to cheer my team on. My senior year I played one sport so when it came time for the others I never missed. Most of the time I was either painted or decked out in full Panther garb. Today more kids go for the hot dogs rather than for the actual game. Absolutely pathetic that these kids don't care more about their teams.
My take on it all, is that I think EVERY boy should be PLAYING football and not attending and leave that up to family, girls, alumni and whoever else OUTSIDE of the school wants to come to watch the game! But that's just me!
Would it be legal for an AD to require boys to play sports?
Im pretty sure that about half or most of the high school kids at Pikeville go to the games to watch the games, but there will always be some - usually girls - that go just because everyone else is there. Jr high kids usually go to socialize and peak at the game every now and then and elementary kids go to play football behind the stands.

Playboy5, i dont think anyone should play a sport unless they love it, and to get thru Pikeville's practices you have to love it.
bigpun Wrote:Would it be legal for an AD to require boys to play sports?
be nice to have an AD firstSmile
I've had problems like this before and if I can go I'll go. I really don't mind going to a sporting events alone, but when my friends usally go, its always just to be seen, and not to just watch the game. I don't hate them for it but, I don't like them doing it for a social purpose.
bigpun Wrote:I went to watch and to cheer my team on. My senior year I played one sport so when it came time for the others I never missed. Most of the time I was either painted or decked out in full Panther garb. Today more kids go for the hot dogs rather than for the actual game. Absolutely pathetic that these kids don't care more about their teams.
It is hard to blame the kids. Unless you love the game of football, which 75% of students don't, then it can be very boring here in Eastern Ky. 90% or more of all plays are running plays. If you want people to come watch....THROW THE DANG BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bball fan Wrote:It is hard to blame the kids. Unless you love the game of football, which 75% of students don't, then it can be very boring here in Eastern Ky. 90% or more of all plays are running plays. If you want people to come watch....THROW THE DANG BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to disagree with that. Being a Russell fan there is nothing more interesting that watching the wing T executed to perfection. I would much rather watch that that all of that passing. If I want that I will watch the NFL.Wink
EASports12 Wrote:Im pretty sure that about half or most of the high school kids at Pikeville go to the games to watch the games, but there will always be some - usually girls - that go just because everyone else is there. Jr high kids usually go to socialize and peak at the game every now and then and elementary kids go to play football behind the stands.

Playboy5, i dont think anyone should play a sport unless they love it, and to get thru Pikeville's practices you have to love it.
And my point is, as a boy/guy/man..HOW DO YOU NOT LOVE FOOTBALL? I might be a little biased, but, just don't see how guys could not be interested in sports period!
Panther Thunder Wrote:I was talking to someone to see if they were going to go to a scrimmage this friday because I'm trying to go and they said "No. None of my friends will be there."
You started a great thread .Some kids go to a game and the next day we can say at school if you can tell me the score of the game last night i will give everyone with the right answer 5 or 10 etc. extra points .I do this to try to encourage more of them to go. I have even purchased game tickets as rewards .We have some really great potential athletes sitting in the stands goofing off that could be on the field helping the team.I have asked several guys why they do not play some do have ligit reasons like both parents work late and they do not have a ride to and frotjis is at middle and freshman age they do not drive. Itold my son to always look around and see if any one needed a ride as he was always the last to leave kinda his way .He said it always brought him good luck,and many times he took someone home.Your young guys won t ask for a ride.Another reason GRADES again you can do everything to help here too but if they don t want to help themselves //////I got off topic but you are right they go to the games and never stay in their seat long enought to watch 1 play. I have taken up money for ticket sales before and if we could charge for every time the go in and out all schools could afford turf.I do think it gets some what better as they get older but not a lot.YOU can not make yourself be a DIE HARD sports fan if you really are not .I have been as a female since I was old enough to watch then play then have children play
Clay County High School has a sign on the ticket booth, NO RE-ENTRY. IF YOU LEAVE THE GYM YOU MUST PAY TO RE-ENTER.

I actually saw a referee and the lady collecting tickets get into an argument. He came early to watch another game and left his clothes and whistle in his car. She wanted him to pay to get back in.

A little off topic, but after the prior remark- I had to share it.

I always watched the games that I went to in high school. Even if I was sitting with friends or a girlfriend, I still watched the game and yelled my lungs out. I just can't imagine going to a game and not even knowing who won, but I do remember a lot of others who did just that.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I think that true fans of the game (any game) are playing in the sport (if it is their gender). When it comes to the case of football (there are many exceptions to this) but most girls don't understand it and get bored easily. I like watching the games with friends that were watching the game as well so we could discuss the game. Have a few side convos here and there but we were there to watch the game.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:And my point is, as a boy/guy/man..HOW DO YOU NOT LOVE FOOTBALL? I might be a little biased, but, just don't see how guys could not be interested in sports period!
I love watching high school and college football but never really felt the urge to play. Plus I played golf which was also a fall sport so I couldn't do both. I also don't see how someone could get bored watching their best friends and classmates out there working their butts off to give the school pride. Without their hard work, your school would be nothing like it is. Sad, but true (for the most part), schools are known more for their athletic achievements than their academic achievements. I think I at least once (usually many many times) supported every team that competed at my school from football, basketball (B&G), baseball, softball, volleyball, Track (B&G), Cross-Country (B&G), Tennis (B&G), Soccer (B&G), and Golf (G -- I played B). Heck, I even went to watch cheerleading competitions and even an Academic Team tournament once. Were all these things the most thrilling events to watch? No, but it was more about school pride and supporting my friends.

For those wondering, it is possible to get kicked out of each of the events listed above. It either happened to me or I was at least threatened at all of them Smile
bball fan Wrote:It is hard to blame the kids. Unless you love the game of football, which 75% of students don't, then it can be very boring here in Eastern Ky. 90% or more of all plays are running plays. If you want people to come watch....THROW THE DANG BALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When you are the head coach then and only then can YOU call the plays. The coaches at Pikeville will decide what to run based on what they consider to be the best plays to run to obtain a win. Right now Pikeville has 5-6 RB that could start for any team around. So why pass more? Because you want them to? I don't see the coaching staff going out into the community and asking fans what to run. But on a brighter note, you will see the ball in the air more so than in the past. BTW for the people that love the game, every play whether run or pass is important to the game. Stick to basketball and leave this game to the people who know. If you could do better than the coaches at Pikeville then go out and prove it hot shot!
bigpun Wrote:When you are the head coach then and only then can YOU call the plays. The coaches at Pikeville will decide what to run based on what they consider to be the best plays to run to obtain a win. Right now Pikeville has 5-6 RB that could start for any team around. So why pass more? Because you want them to? I don't see the coaching staff going out into the community and asking fans what to run. But on a brighter note, you will see the ball in the air more so than in the past. BTW for the people that love the game, every play whether run or pass is important to the game. Stick to basketball and leave this game to the people who know. If you could do better than the coaches at Pikeville then go out and prove it hot shot!

Relax...you were the one complaining that students aren't coming to the games...so I was just giving you one of the reasons as to maybe why they aren't!!! I am sorry that it hurt your feelings but I am just giving you the community perspective!!! If you don't want the truth...then don't ask for it!!! Here is a little advice...throw it and they will come!!

By the way, bball stands for baseball not basketball!!! Go Yankees!!!
well... i am still in high school.. and play sports.. but my middle school days and some of my freshmen year i went to the games to play football and try to hook up with girls Big Grin ..
but with that said.. it doesnt mean i dont love the game.. i play football at Russell and love it more than anything..
but if you are a non player and love to watch the game.. who cares what ur friends are doing.. just watch.. but if you love to go and socialize.. its a good place to socialize to..
if i had kids i would rather them go to the football field to play then go to a club or soemthing haha
bigpun Wrote:When you are the head coach then and only then can YOU call the plays. The coaches at Pikeville will decide what to run based on what they consider to be the best plays to run to obtain a win. Right now Pikeville has 5-6 RB that could start for any team around. So why pass more? Because you want them to? I don't see the coaching staff going out into the community and asking fans what to run. But on a brighter note, you will see the ball in the air more so than in the past. BTW for the people that love the game, every play whether run or pass is important to the game. Stick to basketball and leave this game to the people who know. If you could do better than the coaches at Pikeville then go out and prove it hot shot!

I totally agree that the COACH calls the shots but if you continue to run on the ground and are not grtting any where then you may want to seriously change it up. I have listened to many fans yell at the coaches to put it in the AIR but they continue to RUN IT and I have seen that lead to a LOSE where as a couple of passes could have changed the game .In these cases I think the coach takes the L not the players.I keep my mouth closed at games because as a former coach myself I always knew what I could have done differently.
Panther Thunder Wrote:no im still in high school.. im saying it is a problem with kids my age that are more concrened about who is dating who than the outcome of the game.

Yes, you are definatley right, i was like that until i was a sophomore and now that would be the only reason i would go to a game. eventhough im on the field on friday nights. i still like to go to other schools games and scout. And JFLDAD is completely right kids are kids.
EASports12 Wrote:Im pretty sure that about half or most of the high school kids at Pikeville go to the games to watch the games, but there will always be some - usually girls - that go just because everyone else is there. Jr high kids usually go to socialize and peak at the game every now and then and elementary kids go to play football behind the stands.

Now Now...I'm A Girl And I Went To Every Game To Watch...Because I Love Football... And Technically If These People Go Just To Socialize Would They Be Classified As "Fans" Anyway???
ill agree with beef
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:And my point is, as a boy/guy/man..HOW DO YOU NOT LOVE FOOTBALL? I might be a little biased, but, just don't see how guys could not be interested in sports period!
thats right how can you not love the game of football. i kno its possible but i dont see how u can have the "mentality" to not wanna play.
Estillfootballgirl Wrote:Now Now...I'm A Girl And I Went To Every Game To Watch...Because I Love Football... And Technically If These People Go Just To Socialize Would They Be Classified As "Fans" Anyway???

agreed
Playboy5, I do love football but i also know people at Pikeville who are really good athletes that are basketball or baseball or (it kind of pains me to say it) soccer lovers. I wish these boys loved football to but they would much rather play their respective sports.
Estillfootballgirl Wrote:Now Now...I'm A Girl And I Went To Every Game To Watch...Because I Love Football... And Technically If These People Go Just To Socialize Would They Be Classified As "Fans" Anyway???
Im sorry if i was offensive, but i meant that it is usually the girls that go to a game to be social. I do know about 5-6 girls that really do watch the games but the number of girls that go to be social is a lot higher.