Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clay County 79 OBI 57
Final
Game started out something like 18-2 Clay and OBI made a nice run to cut the score down to 9 in 3rd quarter. Then the :ref1: a technical foul against OBI game over.
Just got home from this one. OBI can be a real good team by end of the season. Hall is a players (All Region type).This was a 9 point game late in 3rd. I have no dog in this fight but the game was a bad called game. Clay Shoots triple foul shots OBI does. One call was a 6 pt. swing when it was a 9 point game. Oneida got behind like 14-0 to start game, looked real nervous early. 3rd QT played better. Don't think anyone can over look them. Fun game to watch.
64SUR Wrote:Game started out something like 18-2 Clay and OBI made a nice run to cut the score down to 9 in 3rd quarter. Then the :ref1: a technical foul against OBI game over.

Don't know if you noticed but the block call before the Technical Foul was only the 6th personal foul and a bonus should not have been shot, the T Foul made it 7th foul. I thought ref's were a little bias.TongueirateShoTongueirateSho
JustThinking Wrote:Don't know if you noticed but the block call before the Technical Foul was only the 6th personal foul and a bonus should not have been shot, the T Foul made it 7th foul. I thought ref's were a little bias.TongueirateShoTongueirateSho

I noticed that also, I also noticed the OBI coach and assistant Coach arguing on the bench after a bench warning against OBI. What was up with that. :yikes:
64SUR Wrote:Game started out something like 18-2 Clay and OBI made a nice run to cut the score down to 9 in 3rd quarter. Then the :ref1: a technical foul against OBI game over.

Yeap that completely turned the game around, OBI is real deal
64SUR Wrote:I noticed that also, I also noticed the OBI coach and assistant Coach arguing on the bench after a bench warning against OBI. What was up with that. :yikes:

The coach was upset bad over that call and the ref warned him and he was still flipping out. I believe the assistant was trying to calm him down I think because I also seen woods player telling him to be quiet also...jmo
Not.a top five team yet, but not many teams in the region could beat Clay.
I will be curious to see how they do against W-burg - a win there would make them a top 10 team.
They are a top 10 team already. When someone shoots nearly 20 more free throws then a team it’s hard to overcome. They are good and could get scary. That’s first game they played together. Clay has played together for years
I'm not poking n picking bit . 🤔🤔 But I was looking all night and I still never seen one kid new besides the Hall kid and Simpson kid that was on the team from last yr. But I did see one major major lost to OBI and that was the point guard Preston kid and you could really tell his appearance was a major lost to the team in my opinion. Never really had a kid that could run point guard tonight n that was a defect on the game for woods where he couldn't get his motor running because what I've seen of woods he's a major impact with playing off the ball play like a 2 or 3 guard. But he couldn't develop his game because he was having to be the man to get the ball up the court so they could even process a half court game. But the main key I saw OBI was the same defect from last yr. No defense n no off ball talking on the screens. But I will promise you and yes I said it . If OBI gets another guard to play n help woods n Hall out they will be dangerous. Hall is a beast and I see no big containing Hall all yr in the 13th. Clay had to double and triple team Hall and he still scored 21 pts and that's a statement I don't care who likes it or not. Way to PLAY HALL I tip my hat to you (Hall) you was on 🔥. Can't teach smartness n footwork.
Bigmouth1953 Wrote:They are a top 10 team already. When someone shoots nearly 20 more free throws then a team it’s hard to overcome. They are good and could get scary. That’s first game they played together. Clay has played together for years

Not until they actually beat a top 10 team...Williamsburg is the next one on the schedule.
I thought the onoha kid had 20 points. Defense didn’t look bad. An extra 20 free throws matter. But your right if they had a true point guard they would be dangerous. A lot of people didn’t know the kid on crutches was there pg torn acl
HCS Wrote:Not until they actually beat a top 10 team...Williamsburg is the next one on the schedule.
By who’s rankings. Jackson is rated tenth in some places.
Who was hurt?
The Cats Pause list is the one I see every year - but that is a preseason list.
I haven't seen Jackson on a top 10 list except by a fan. OBI was better than them this past summer.
It looks like on OBI schedule they play Jackson County #10 and North Laurel #2 both before they play Williamsburg. Unless I'm missing something or I'm looking on the wrong schedule. And looks like Jackson County is getting their first test in a hard one also at South Laurel tomorrow night.
I’m not sure his name. But he was was starting in practice and get hurt in first scrimmage in 2nd quarter. Want be back this year. Sucks for the kid
Who has Jackson 10th?
Yes, North is just before W-burg. My mistake. I think W-burg is a more winnable game though. I think OBI should win some games before then if they are anywhere close to the top 10.
13th region has them.
Bigmouth1953 Wrote:They are a top 10 team already. When someone shoots nearly 20 more free throws then a team it’s hard to overcome. They are good and could get scary. That’s first game they played together. Clay has played together for years

Oh, the Facebook site. They do a great job, but I don't agree with that one. Baldwin isn't playing and Rose is hurt the last I heard. Parrett makes them competitive, but I doubt they are better than last year.
JayTiger Wrote:I'm not poking n picking bit . 🤔🤔 But I was looking all night and I still never seen one kid new besides the Hall kid and Simpson kid that was on the team from last yr. But I did see one major major lost to OBI and that was the point guard Preston kid and you could really tell his appearance was a major lost to the team in my opinion. Never really had a kid that could run point guard tonight n that was a defect on the game for woods where he couldn't get his motor running because what I've seen of woods he's a major impact with playing off the ball play like a 2 or 3 guard. But he couldn't develop his game because he was having to be the man to get the ball up the court so they could even process a half court game. But the main key I saw OBI was the same defect from last yr. No defense n no off ball talking on the screens. But I will promise you and yes I said it . If OBI gets another guard to play n help woods n Hall out they will be dangerous. Hall is a beast and I see no big containing Hall all yr in the 13th. Clay had to double and triple team Hall and he still scored 21 pts and that's a statement I don't care who likes it or not. Way to PLAY HALL I tip my hat to you (Hall) you was on 🔥. Can't teach smartness n footwork.

I agree with most you have said. The loss of Preston and Goodwin from last year are big losses. Still they can be good, only if they learn to play Def. it was pretty bad at times. Clay scored 8 pts off inbounds plays, Someone tell that young Coach to get out of M to M on inbounds plays. lol Another observation I had Oneida had no clue as to how to beat a press. Need a lot of work.
OBI got off to a slow start because they were slowing it down and trying to run everything in the paint through Hall. This is something that the OBI guards have never had to do. They will get better and I would not want to play them in the 1st game of the District. Clay looked really good at the start but then looked like the same old Clay the rest of the game. The technical foul took all the momentum from OBI and after that they quit. The refs were very inconsistent. They were letting the kids play one minute then calling crazy stuff the next. In years past I would understand the free throw differential being what it was because OBI relied on outside shooting but not last night. There is no reason for such a gap in the free throws. At the end of the 3rd quarter Clay was already in the double bonus and only had like 3 fouls called on them.
64SUR Wrote:I noticed that also, I also noticed the OBI coach and assistant Coach arguing on the bench after a bench warning against OBI. What was up with that. :yikes:

Don't know what that was all about. Oneida has always been a class act and to see that out of Coach and Assistant Coach is quite disturbing.
One coach was trying to calm the other down. The one coach didn’t understand the ref gave warning and didn’t tell him he had to sit. I’m good friends with both coaches. People get caught up in the game. It happens. As far as that young coach not getting them to play defense, I thought they played pretty good defense, they gave up a few points on out bounds, but when you give the other team 27 points off of turnovers and the discrepancy on the free throw line defense want matter. Coach said they will get better. First time ever playing together an on that stage. Had it to 9 with the ball twice, pretty good for a team that has never played together.
JustThinking Wrote:Don't know what that was all about. Oneida has always been a class act and to see that out of Coach and Assistant Coach is quite disturbing.

I understand what you mean but if you know them coaches you know they are best friends and love each other. The want to win, shoot who has argued with a teammate, or coaches had disagreements. Shoot it happens. I’m proud of what they have accomplished. Oneida is better now than anytime last year and will do nothing but get better. People better be scared about February.
I do agree that the foul difference was a little much but not enough to have put this game at less than a 10 point final. The main argument is the block/charges because virtually all of the blocked shots were clean. Robinson’s game is taking people to the rim as well, of course he’s going to shoot free throws. It’s not like the Tigers shot well from the line either. As an OBI fan, I would be more frustrated with only getting 15 points out of Estep, Simpson, and Woods combined on 5 of 19 shooting for 26%. I’m not trying to be disrespectful but that stuff just seems clear to me. You had 3 starters that basically weren’t there.
It was a ten point game most of night until the technical, so I’ll disagree with you. Yea those three did combine for that shooting but if you hade 8 free throws to us and take 8 from them which makes it close to even. At the percentages both teams shoot, then the game is a lot closer.
Bigmouth1953 Wrote:It was a ten point game most of night until the technical, so I’ll disagree with you. Yea those three did combine for that shooting but if you hade 8 free throws to us and take 8 from them which makes it close to even. At the percentages both teams shoot, then the game is a lot closer.

Like I said, I’m not one to put teams down or anything; I’m a big fan of OBI when they aren’t playing Clay. I just feel like everyone came into that game wanting to beat Clay so bad and thought about it for months so now there’s overreaction (2 starters played for Clay at one point). The technical foul did change things but the Tigers had a 10+ point lead all night. Jacob Hall is the one kid that would either start or be Top 6 for Clay County, the talent discrepancy is apparent. Can the Mountaineers beat the Tigers? Yes, but it would take a bad night by Clay and a really good night my OBI. That’s hoping for a lot for 3-4 months even if it’s possible. I know OBI wants to have a great year, I want them to. But the fans have to start being realistic, strive to be a Top 9-10 team before talking about being Top 5.
UKCC Wrote:But the fans have to start being realistic, strive to be a Top 9-10 team before talking about being Top 5.

That's what I've tried to say since the summer.
JayTiger Wrote:I'm not poking n picking bit . 🤔🤔 But I was looking all night and I still never seen one kid new besides the Hall kid and Simpson kid that was on the team from last yr. But I did see one major major lost to OBI and that was the point guard Preston kid and you could really tell his appearance was a major lost to the team in my opinion. Never really had a kid that could run point guard tonight n that was a defect on the game for woods where he couldn't get his motor running because what I've seen of woods he's a major impact with playing off the ball play like a 2 or 3 guard. But he couldn't develop his game because he was having to be the man to get the ball up the court so they could even process a half court game. But the main key I saw OBI was the same defect from last yr. No defense n no off ball talking on the screens. But I will promise you and yes I said it . If OBI gets another guard to play n help woods n Hall out they will be dangerous. Hall is a beast and I see no big containing Hall all yr in the 13th. Clay had to double and triple team Hall and he still scored 21 pts and that's a statement I don't care who likes it or not. Way to PLAY HALL I tip my hat to you (Hall) you was on 🔥. Can't teach smartness n footwork.

I may be totally wrong here but when I was reading the OBI thread that has now been removed I remember you talking about the Hall kid playing at some other school and being out of 13th region for so long is a whole new world and how the Langdon kid was going to show him how a big plays. Not sure the exact wording that was used. Your right on this one...you can't teach foot work 👍👍 that kid can shake and bake 😯😯
If you don’t want your opponent to shoot freethrows, DON’T FOUL! Play defense with your feet and get position, quit reaching and moving under people that are driving. I like OBIs team this year, they’re going to be a hard out come tournament time, but quit making excuses for losing last night! Give Clay County some credit for playing well! For what it’s worth, Hall could start for any team in the 13th region, he is a player!