Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lions 27 - Bengals 26 PRESEASON
Can't believe BFritz didn't post this earlier...

From the Cincinnati Enquirer: The Bengals scored on four Graham field goals, a nine-yard touchdown pass from Doug Johnson to Chris Henry and an 81-yard interception return for a touchdown by rookie defensive lineman Matt Toeaina. Johnson was 11-for-20 passing for 150 yards, one touchdown and one interception with a passer rating of 75. Bengals starting quarterback Carson Palmer played the first two series and was 7-for-10 passing for 93 yards and a 99.2 passer rating.

Backup tailback Kenny Irons, the team’s second-round backup, was injured during the second quarter and was on crutches in the locker room after the game. He suffered a left knee injury, the Bengals confirmed. He is scheduled to have an MRI.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...308090054/
jammin' jamey Wrote:Can't believe BFritz didn't post this earlier...

From the Cincinnati Enquirer: The Bengals scored on four Graham field goals, a nine-yard touchdown pass from Doug Johnson to Chris Henry and an 81-yard interception return for a touchdown by rookie defensive lineman Matt Toeaina. Johnson was 11-for-20 passing for 150 yards, one touchdown and one interception with a passer rating of 75. Bengals starting quarterback Carson Palmer played the first two series and was 7-for-10 passing for 93 yards and a 99.2 passer rating.

Backup tailback Kenny Irons, the team’s second-round backup, was injured during the second quarter and was on crutches in the locker room after the game. He suffered a left knee injury, the Bengals confirmed. He is scheduled to have an MRI.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...308090054/

Watched it at my friends' place last night and just got home.

Anyways, the Bengals won this game while the serious part of the game was going on (by serious I mean while the starters were playing). I thought Palmer looked good last year even though he was pulling off on the end of his throws and not following through, but wow, he looked back to pre-injury form. He was following through, not pulling up, and throwing beautiful seeds all over the field- 7-10 for 93 yards (that's not calling anyone out on here, just complimenting Palmer). They looked to utilize Rudi a bit more than they have in the past two years or so, and he produced, so I think the offense will be more balanced and even more dangerous. Pass rush was lacking at times, but, overall, wasn't terrible. DBs need some work, or just played bad. Overall, the defense didn't play great, but they definitely showed some qualities of a defensive unit that can be very good, or at least stop people. Irons is possibly out for the year with a knee injury, which is depressing because he looked promissing. Leon Hall looked athletic and like he could make big plays, but he was just alays a step behind or an inch short. Once he gets used to the NFL, he looks like he could be very good.

I'm even more pumped about the season now.

For a first preseason game, I think they showed a lot of potential, but they still need to fix a few small things. I'm buying my tickets to their Super Bowl appearence next week.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
Irons is done for the season.
I was not worried or anything until my brother relayed the news to me that Irons would be out for the season after last night's game.

To me the pre-season is in no way any prediction of the regular season.
hate to hear the loss of kenny irons
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I was not worried or anything until my brother relayed the news to me that Irons would be out for the season after last night's game.

To me the pre-season is in no way any prediction of the regular season.

To some extent, you're right, but take what I posted about Palmer for example: the situations in the games will be almost identical, if not identical, to the situations that he was facing in the game (pass rushers all around his knees, following through on throws, etc.)

The defense's ability up front in the box also gave a hint to their potential.

But none of that says what teams will come to play and come through in the clutch, for instance, you probly wouldn't be able to tell that Tom Brady is arguably the 2nd or 3rd best late drive, big game clutch quarterback in the history of the NFL.

Basically you can't judge everything, but you can judge some things and make some observations about techniques, forms, styles, etc.
QB Challenge Champion, Just Pitching Champion, Midi Golf Champion- My Greatest Accomplishments in Life
BFritz Wrote:To some extent, you're right, but take what I posted about Palmer for example: the situations in the games will be almost identical, if not identical, to the situations that he was facing in the game (pass rushers all around his knees, following through on throws, etc.)

The defense's ability up front in the box also gave a hint to their potential.

But none of that says what teams will come to play and come through in the clutch, for instance, you probly wouldn't be able to tell that Tom Brady is arguably the 2nd or 3rd best late drive, big game clutch quarterback in the history of the NFL.

Basically you can't judge everything, but you can judge some things and make some observations about techniques, forms, styles, etc.

I agree with you completely you can take certain aspects from the game. Like the ones you said but when it comes to how hard the team is actually playing and aspects like that you can not make an accurate prediction of how their season will go. For instance the Bengals went 4-0 in the preseason last year but failed to produce the record that paraelled with their preseason one.

BFritz do you think that the preseason should at least be shortened?
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I agree with you completely you can take certain aspects from the game. Like the ones you said but when it comes to how hard the team is actually playing and aspects like that you can not make an accurate prediction of how their season will go. For instance the Bengals went 4-0 in the preseason last year but failed to produce the record that paraelled with their preseason one.

BFritz do you think that the preseason should at least be shortened?

You think I'd say yes just because of things like with what happened to Irons, and there's just too much potential for injury, but I don't know just because the younger players need to get a taste of the NFL before the season actually matters.

Then again, the team needs to get meshed together and needs to learn to play together, but there's usually most veterans are already used to the NFL and maybe playing together so it's pointless to make them play pointless games.

However, training camps usually don't start til the last week of July or the first week of June or later. I think that the preseason maybe should be shortened to three games or less because most starters don't play in the last game anyways. I think that shortening it to 3 (or maybe 2) would be ok without damaging the quality of play in the NFL, as long as teams start practicing at the same time in the summer.
i thought the bengals had the game won i started watching Dallas and Indianpolis.
Preseason used to be 6 games and training camp 2 months.
BFritz Wrote:You think I'd say yes just because of things like with what happened to Irons, and there's just too much potential for injury, but I don't know just because the younger players need to get a taste of the NFL before the season actually matters.

Then again, the team needs to get meshed together and needs to learn to play together, but there's usually most veterans are already used to the NFL and maybe playing together so it's pointless to make them play pointless games.

However, training camps usually don't start til the last week of July or the first week of June or later. I think that the preseason maybe should be shortened to three games or less because most starters don't play in the last game anyways. I think that shortening it to 3 (or maybe 2) would be ok without damaging the quality of play in the NFL, as long as teams start practicing at the same time in the summer.

Yes it gives the rookies experience with a game TYPE atmosphere but are the fans really coming out like it is a regular season game? They don't really get the full effect until the season starts. Let them polish their skills in practice.
However, I agree with you that the preseason should be shortened to 2-3 games.
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:Yes it gives the rookies experience with a game TYPE atmosphere but are the fans really coming out like it is a regular season game? They don't really get the full effect until the season starts. Let them polish their skills in practice.
However, I agree with you that the preseason should be shortened to 2-3 games.

You can practice all you want, but you don't get the full effect and learning experience until you actually get in the game and play against the other best players of each team in the NFL.

But, yes, shorten it. Three games seams reasonable since not many starters play in the fourth anyways.
rallo316 Wrote:i thought the bengals had the game won i started watching Dallas and Indianpolis.

The Bengals did win. The Lions scrubs scored a few on our scrubs. Congratulations, Detroit.
BFritz Wrote:You can practice all you want, but you don't get the full effect and learning experience until you actually get in the game and play against the other best players of each team in the NFL.

But, yes, shorten it. Three games seams reasonable since not many starters play in the fourth anyways.

I agree. Thanks for the discussion!
Scotty doesn't know Wrote:I agree. Thanks for the discussion!

Not a problem, thanks to you too:notworthy Always enjoyable for me to have civil conversations:Thumbs:
BFritz Wrote:The Bengals did win. The Lions scrubs scored a few on our scrubs. Congratulations, Detroit.

Exactly. The Bengals won the part of the game that mattered. I really don't care about the final score of preseason games, as long as our starters look good while they're in.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:Exactly. The Bengals won the part of the game that mattered. I really don't care about the final score of preseason games, as long as our starters look good while they're in.

What was the thing that stuck out to you? Other than Irons of course.