Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell Vs Spring Valley,Wv scrimmage
How did this one go this morning?
Russell was hitting hard, little weak in the secondary but looked decent... Third team ----NOT SO GOOD... needs some work but will see playing time this year. I think that WE will have trouble with the pass this year and stopping it up the middle and we need to work on the ends also...well after listening to myself ramble it seems that our defense needs to get on the ball and do what they need to do. It looked like we were young today and at some positions we are just that young....It will come together and the defense will be better....OFFENSIVELY we need to just work together. It showed today what a team can do and you never knew who was getting the ball or who waqs even in there running. I think we had 16 kids running the ball at least today..... SOme looked really impressive, some need to only mature a little,
Over all, not bad for the first scrimmage but need to improve if we are going to make it out of our region this year....
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Devilolgist your right.. we just looked young today..
the scoreboard meant nothing today though.. i dont even know what it read.. 18-6 maybe..that doesnt matter at all..
they scored 3 TD on our 3rd team..
we had a few fumble recoveries and an interception that was ran all the way to inside the 5..
The score of the game would have been totaly different if it was a down and distance type of scrimmage.. but i guess that is what scrimmages are for.. to get reps in and get used to the contact so you can get ready for the season..
Once we get to studying game films and practice aginst the other teams offence and defence.. we'll do fine..
Over all.. just needed a little work.. pretty good for a first scrimmage
Offense was pretty sloppy. Talent is there but execution was lacking. Typical of a first scrimmage. Still alot of work to do.

Defense looked pretty good. Neither teams starters, or even second team scored. The best thing about the defense was they HIT. Spring Valley was a big physical team and a good first test.

Overall impression is that Russell will be pretty good this year.
Just out of curiosity, for any Russelll fan who watched Belfry/Boyd last night, and Russell/Spring Valley today. At this VERY EARLY point of the season, which team looks more molded?
It was typical of a 1st scrimmage all the way around.

Spring Valley's defense looked pretty good all the way around.
Russell's 1st and 2nd team D looked good against the outside run, a bit weak against the interior run. Pass defense allowed a couple decent plays, but did make a huge play themselves returning an interception inside of the 5.

Both offenses lacked execution. Neither was able to pick up a blitz very well yet, which common at the start of the season.

Valley had a couple fumbles to start the whole scrimmage and also threw a pick. Russell didn't turn the ball over at all which is always a great sign to limit those types of mistakes. Russell did have a few penalties called which could end up causing problems during the season and being drive killers.

In a prolonged game I would have placed the scores somewhere from 7-0 to 14-7 in favor of Russell.
Welcome to BlueGrassRivals

If you ever have any questions, problems, or comments, contact me at [email=tomcat6868@gmail.com]tomcat6868@gmail.com[/email] or via PM by clicking here [Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/finalnewbanner3.png]
how are you gonna say we looked good if the first team didnt score on spring valley. we torch them in that scrimmage every single year
bizmark Wrote:how are you gonna say we looked good if the first team didnt score on spring valley. we torch them in that scrimmage every single year
The 1st team only ran two offensive series. The first one they looked out of sync. The second series the moved the ball pretty consistantly.

This team does not have the big play threat that Russell has had the last several years in Gross and then Clark. They will be more of the 10-12 play drives that can kill the clock. IMO this will be much more of a ball control team that will eat up the clock and depend on defense to win.
FBALL Wrote:The 1st team only ran two offensive series. The first one they looked out of sync. The second series the moved the ball pretty consistantly.

This team does not have the big play threat that Russell has had the last several years in Gross and then Clark. They will be more of the 10-12 play drives that can kill the clock. IMO this will be much more of a ball control team that will eat up the clock and depend on defense to win.

Yeah.. this years team will eat the clock alive.. which is originally but is supposed to happen.. but its kinda hard when we have Clark or Gross breakin the long runs haha..
bizmark Wrote:how are you gonna say we looked good if the first team didnt score on spring valley. we torch them in that scrimmage every single year

Well man if you reallyl think about not really any playmakers, now we get to play as a team. you know work together, and if we dont this season is down the drains thats for sure.
Team
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
I thought Russell's defense was solid, but the offense was a little weak