Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cal or Pearl?
Legit question
Neither
Cal.

Pearl has had our number past two years. But there’s something about relying on shooting 30 thread a game that doesn’t sit well for me. They shot 43 free throws and took almost 30 threes tonight. You aren’t getting 40 free throws come tourney time. They let a lot more stuff go. And relying on hitting threes I’ve never been a fan of.

But now coach Cal is no saint. He doesn’t make any adjustments throughout games and never has. That’s just his style. Cal coaches when he recruits, he gets nba guys that can get a simple screen up top and go make a play. And then about halfway through the year he gets his guys feeling with one another and we make a good run in the tourney until it’s time for Cal to make adjustments and have to coach us to a victory without having one of the superstars carry us.

So many people have said who else would you want at UK. And my answer is nobody. I think Cal is the only person that can deal with the bright lights of Kentucky without it breaking him or being too much pressure on his back. So I take the good with the bad.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Here is another vote for neither but I don't advocate firing Calipari. I would fire the AD for signing Cal to what amounts to a lifetime contract. Now that the bed has been made, UK should not throw good money after bad by buying out his contract. Until UK has a smarter AD in place, the risk of signing another Billy G. is too great to take a chance by hiring a new basketball or football coach.

That being said, given near equal talent, Bruce Pearl will beat Cal's teams more often than not because he is simply a better coach. He coaches players up and he makes better in game adjustments. Recruiting is the only area in which I would give Coach Cal the edge, other than cheating and not getting nailed by the NCAA.
Great question J.P. I have been asking myself the same question. I am far from knowledgeable about U.K. but here is my opinion. I would go with Cal. They are both cheaters, but they are both good coaches. Cal's personality fits U.K.'s high profile program better, IMO. I kid around about firing Cal, but I really don't think they should, yet. He has been one or two plays away from the Final Four on a couple occasions the last few years. He keeps bringing in highly ranked recruiting classes and keeps U.K. in the national championship discussions each year. If he doesn't get U.K. back in at least the Final Four really soon, that should change though. Bruce Pearl is just trash. He is a good coach, but he is just sleazy. U.K. is too good for him.
Neither
Brad Stevens! :worthy:
Westside Wrote:Great question J.P. I have been asking myself the same question. I am far from knowledgeable about U.K. but here is my opinion. I would go with Cal. They are both cheaters, but they are both good coaches. Cal's personality fits U.K.'s high profile program better, IMO. I kid around about firing Cal, but I really don't think they should, yet. He has been one or two plays away from the Final Four on a couple occasions the last few years. He keeps bringing in highly ranked recruiting classes and keeps U.K. in the national championship discussions each year. If he doesn't get U.K. back in at least the Final Four really soon, that should change though. Bruce Pearl is just trash. He is a good coach, but he is just sleazy. U.K. is too good for him.
I am not in favor of replacing Calipari with Bruce Pearl but a school that allowed Billy Gillispie to coach its basketball team for two years while he refused to sign a contract and then paid him millions of dollars to go away after firing him with cause is not too good for Bruce Pearl. Kentucky's athletic department apparently is run by total morons.

Bruce Pearl's teams play loose and they play hard. Calipari recruits talent but Pearl builds talent and his recruits generally exceed expectations. A pattern is emerging where UK is consistently ranked in the top five preseason and Auburn is ranked much lower. As the season begins, Auburn and UK begin moving in opposite directions in the polls.
Hoot Gibson Wrote:I am not in favor of replacing Calipari with Bruce Pearl but a school that allowed Billy Gillispie to coach its basketball team for two years while he refused to sign a contract and then paid him millions of dollars to go away after firing him with cause is not too good for Bruce Pearl. Kentucky's athletic department apparently is run by total morons.

Bruce Pearl's teams play loose and they play hard. Calipari recruits talent but Pearl builds talent and his recruits generally exceed expectations. A pattern is emerging where UK is consistently ranked in the top five preseason and Auburn is ranked much lower. As the season begins, Auburn and UK begin moving in opposite directions in the polls.

I see your point. Let me rephrase my statement. U.K. should be too good for Bruce Pearl.
Legit question: If Cal was yo be fired or when he steps down and Rick Barnes is still head coaching, what would the possibilities be for him to make his way to Lexington?
Strikeout King Wrote:Legit question: If Cal was yo be fired or when he steps down and Rick Barnes is still head coaching, what would the possibilities be for him to make his way to Lexington?

Hopefully slim to none.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Strikeout King Wrote:Legit question: If Cal was yo be fired or when he steps down and Rick Barnes is still head coaching, what would the possibilities be for him to make his way to Lexington?
Why would UK be interested in hiring Rick Barnes? He is 65 years old and has taken one team to a single NCAA Final 4 appearance.

My top pick would be Brad Stevens but he would be a long shot to come to Kentucky.

Billy Donovan would be a much, much better hire than John Calipari was. His salary is less than half what Calipari makes, he is only 54, he is a better coach, and he has won two NCAA championships.
Spud6 Wrote:Cal.

Pearl has had our number past two years. But there’s something about relying on shooting 30 thread a game that doesn’t sit well for me. They shot 43 free throws and took almost 30 threes tonight. You aren’t getting 40 free throws come tourney time. They let a lot more stuff go. And relying on hitting threes I’ve never been a fan of.

But now coach Cal is no saint. He doesn’t make any adjustments throughout games and never has. That’s just his style. Cal coaches when he recruits, he gets nba guys that can get a simple screen up top and go make a play. And then about halfway through the year he gets his guys feeling with one another and we make a good run in the tourney until it’s time for Cal to make adjustments and have to coach us to a victory without having one of the superstars carry us.

So many people have said who else would you want at UK. And my answer is nobody. I think Cal is the only person that can deal with the bright lights of Kentucky without it breaking him or being too much pressure on his back. So I take the good with the bad.

I know it's a long shot Brad Stevens.
There are several coaches I would take instead of Calipari. I never wanted him to come to UK in the first place. That being said coaches I would like at UK besides Brad Stevens are
Jay Wright
Scott Drew
Possibly Chris Beard
To answer the question of the thread I will take Bruce Pearl over Calipari for the reasons Hoot stated.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The more I watch Texas Tech id like to have Chris Baird but Cal isn’t leaving anytime soon and Chris will already have gotten a big job somewhere by then. But Brad Stevens is still who I want to replace Cal. He’s young and a basketball genius it seems.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Spud6 Wrote:The more I watch Texas Tech id like to have Chris Baird but Cal isn’t leaving anytime soon and Chris will already have gotten a big job somewhere by then. But Brad Stevens is still who I want to replace Cal. He’s young and a basketball genius it seems.

Good luck prying him from the Celtics or the NBA.
If Cal left at the end of the season, Chris Beard. I wouldn't mind having Bruce Pearl though and think he could thrive at UK. Don't think there's nearly the kind of separation to run Cal off to hire him though.
I'm a neither with Cal or Pearl myself. I would rather have Chris Mack than either of them.
JokersWild24 Wrote:Good luck prying him from the Celtics or the NBA.

I think Cal makes more money than him though. Which brad Stevens seems like a guy who wouldn’t care about the money
#BBFL
Cal is a better recruiter, while Pearl is the better coach. If I had to chose one, I would chose Cal, all day, everyday.
Cal between those two. After Cal retires I’d like to see Stevens at UK with my second choice being Beard.
jetpilot Wrote:I'm a neither with Cal or Pearl myself. I would rather have Chris Mack than either of them.

NO, NO, No you dont....

signed Xavier fans.
^^^He can get players to Louisville who wouldn't sign with Xavier at gunpoint...