Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your Thoughts On The Coronavirus?
What are your thoughts on the Coronavirus? I usually take what the media says with a grain of salt. I feel that the media loves to find the latest big story and then they play it up as much as possible. Is this the case with the Coronaravirus? After reading the story at the link below maybe I'm wrong. What are your thoughts? Granny Bear, I would love to read your thoughts for sure.

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavir...k2lkUdGT4U
Fox News is also reporting a U.S. soldier stationed in South Korea has comedown with the virus. That isn't good. The virus is also having a negative affect on the stock market.
Getting objective information about anything is difficult to do, IMO. News media tends to bend facts to promote their agenda.

CDC in Atlanta have issued reports about coronavirus that are informative, while the news media is focused primarily on the correct "name" for it.

According to CDC, this virus is much like the typical flu. The main differences are 1) coronavirus is much easier to spread and highly contagious 2) coronavirus is spreading quicker in old people and folks with chronic diseases, i.e. diabetes and heart disease 3) Conversely, children are not as susceptible as they are with typical flu. Since this is a "touch" contamination, I found that last observation very surprising.

I would love to have reliable information on the mortality rate. I have found information that supports 2% - 70%. My GUESS is that the mortality rate is quite high; much higher than the typical flu.

I would suggest to stay home if you can, wash your hands religiously and consider masks if you go to Walmart. Wait this out until they can come up with a vaccine, which should be by next winter.
My guess is we would be scared to death if we knew the reality. I expect few facts to come out of the countries that are infested, and I don't really know what to expect from our own with a fear of starting a panic.

Some of the warnings that came out from the CDC yesterday were extremely alarming along San Francisco declaring a state of emergency.

About 71 people are being monitored in KY right now although none are confirmed cases. Sadly this may be a WHEN instead of IF situation.
Cardfan1 Wrote:My guess is we would be scared to death if we knew the reality. I expect few facts to come out of the countries that are infested, and I don't really know what to expect from our own with a fear of starting a panic.

Some of the warnings that came out from the CDC yesterday were extremely alarming along San Francisco declaring a state of emergency.

About 71 people are being monitored in KY right now although none are confirmed cases. Sadly this may be a WHEN instead of IF situation.

That's not good.
You have a better chance of simultaneously winning the lottery, being struck by lightning and getting run over by a bus than of dying from this virus.
jetpilot Wrote:You have a better chance of simultaneously winning the lottery, being struck by lightning and getting run over by a bus than of dying from this virus.

LOL!!! This post made me feel better.
Not concerned at all. My wife, who is a nurse, said 80% of the people who get the virus survive. The people who are affected the most are the ones with weak immune systems. There has been more deaths from the flu worldwide. IMO this fear is media driven.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jarons stole my thunder ... I'm hearing the same thing from practical, well informed, medical professionals.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Jarons Wrote:Not concerned at all. My wife, who is a nurse, said 80% of the people who get the virus survive. The people who are affected the most are the ones with weak immune systems. There has been more deaths from the flu worldwide. IMO this fear is media driven.

I saw a state that if you take away elderly folks. The survival rate rises to like 98.7 percent or something crazy like that. I’m still going to do my sue diligence and wash my hands religiously. But I feel like the media as they always need to are pushing this to hide something else which is a trend they seem to do quite often.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
jetpilot Wrote:You have a better chance of simultaneously winning the lottery, being struck by lightning and getting run over by a bus than of dying from this virus.

Not for folks my age. Mortality rate for those of us over 65 is now at 15% and greater if you have chronic illnesses, as most of us do.
Granny Bear Wrote:Not for folks my age. Mortality rate for those of us over 65 is now at 15% and greater if you have chronic illnesses, as most of us do.

I totally get being cautious, but 9 deaths in the USA out of 330 million people.
I'm supposed to go to Europe for two weeks in the fall, but won't chance it until a vaccine is introduced and or/summer heat kills the virus.
The city of Columbus has cancelled the Arnold Schwarzenegger Classic Expo. The athletes are still competing but that will be a huge economic hit to the city and many businesses and individuals.
Granny Bear Wrote:Not for folks my age. Mortality rate for those of us over 65 is now at 15% and greater if you have chronic illnesses, as most of us do.

With 50 million Americans over 65 there is reason to be concerned.

The WHO revised the mortality rate to 3.4% for all ages, so now it is 34 times deadlier than the flu which is .1%.
Cardfan1 Wrote:With 50 million Americans over 65 there is reason to be concerned.

The WHO revised the mortality rate to 3.4% for all ages, so now it is 34 times deadlier than the flu which is .1%.

WHO is a hopelessly corrupt and incompetent organization but if you are going to be fooled into believing them you somehow overlooked this from their same press release:

Here we have a disease for which we have no vaccine, no treatment, we don’t fully understand transmission, we don’t fully understand case mortality, but what we have been genuinely heartened by is that unlike influenza, where countries have fought back, where they’ve put in place strong measures, we’ve remarkably seen that the virus is suppressed,” Ryan said.
jetpilot Wrote:WHO is a hopelessly corrupt and incompetent organization but if you are going to be fooled into believing them you somehow overlooked this from their same press release:

Here we have a disease for which we have no vaccine, no treatment, we don’t fully understand transmission, we don’t fully understand case mortality, but what we have been genuinely heartened by is that unlike influenza, where countries have fought back, where they’ve put in place strong measures, we’ve remarkably seen that the virus is suppressed,” Ryan said.

Which organization Health Experts should we refer to?

We haven't approached the same universe of measures that China, South Korea, or Italy have put in place yet. I hope it doesn't get that bad.
Cardfan1 Wrote:Which organization Health Experts should we refer to?

We haven't approached the same universe of measures that China, South Korea, or Italy have put in place yet. I hope it doesn't get that bad.

To your question, use your head and your own eyes and ears like Jarons and Spirit did instead of letting some talking-head bureaucrat on your TV screen tell you what to think. As to your statement maybe you would like to share with the group what you think those other countries are doing to control the virus that we should be doing here in the USA.
jetpilot Wrote:To your question, use your head and your own eyes and ears like Jarons and Spirit did instead of letting some talking-head bureaucrat on your TV screen tell you what to think. As to your statement maybe you would like to share with the group what you think those other countries are doing to control the virus that we should be doing here in the USA.

Since I’m not in China, South Korea, Washington etc...I have to count on a talking heads or a journalists to tell me what is happening. Also I am not a doctor, so when the experts talk I try to listen.

If you have seen and heard these things with your eyes and ears maybe you should go into self-quarantine.

The good thing is we can model our response from those who have massive outbreaks. I’m just glad that we are no longer calling it a hoax.
Cardfan1 Wrote:Since I’m not in China, South Korea, Washington etc...I have to count on a talking heads or a journalists to tell me what is happening. Also I am not a doctor, so when the experts talk I try to listen.

If you have seen and heard these things with your eyes and ears maybe you should go into self-quarantine.

The good thing is we can model our response from those who have massive outbreaks. I’m just glad that we are no longer calling it a hoax.

Nobody called the virus a hoax, just another liberal lie. Our president called liberal coverage of the virus a hoax. A hoax like your posts here.

As to your statement maybe you would like to share with the group what you think those other countries are doing to control the virus that we should be doing here in the USA.

You didn't attempt to answer that.
I don't trust ANY of the talking heads; especially now since the coronavirus has been included in even the political agendas! smh

The CDC in Atlanta provides updates, and even though their information changes almost daily, I do believe that their's is the most objective information available. The doctor that's heading the virus' updates appeared on TV the other day. She was quite informative and not chaotic.

Everybody needs to stay calm and use common sense. This may turn into a pandemic but wringing your hands and throwing blame to a political party does no one any good!!!

JP apparently doesn't care about the elderly, BUT you SHOULD care about me!!
:moon:
Granny Bear Wrote:I don't trust ANY of the talking heads; especially now since the coronavirus has been included in even the political agendas! smh

The CDC in Atlanta provides updates, and even though their information changes almost daily, I do believe that their's is the most objective information available. The doctor that's heading the virus' updates appeared on TV the other day. She was quite informative and not chaotic.

Everybody needs to stay calm and use common sense. This may turn into a pandemic but wringing your hands and throwing blame to a political party does no one any good!!!

JP apparently doesn't care about the elderly, BUT you SHOULD care about me!!
:moon:

OMG really? You know better! I'm actually kin to lots of elderly people lol. I just hate the politicization of it! And I'm not going to start worrying until I know someone who knows someone who knows someone who has the virus. Right now I don't know anyone who knows anyone who knows anyone who knows anyone who knows anyone who knows anyone who knows anyone who knows anyone who has the virus.
jetpilot Wrote:Nobody called the virus a hoax, just another liberal lie. Our president called liberal coverage of the virus a hoax. A hoax like your posts here.

As to your statement maybe you would like to share with the group what you think those other countries are doing to control the virus that we should be doing here in the USA.

You didn't attempt to answer that.

Some people were confused and discounted the severity whatever the intention. Clarity is important in a potential national health crisis.

This is what I said. Those govts have restricted travel and locked down cities. Notice I said we haven't come close to that, and I hope that doesn't happen.

For now available testing, materials, and effective communication may be where we are behind. I hope we catch up and head this off.
Cardfan1 Wrote:Some people were confused and discounted the severity whatever the intention. Clarity is important in a potential national health crisis.

This is what I said. Those govts have restricted travel and locked down cities. Notice I said we haven't come close to that, and I hope that doesn't happen.

For now available testing, materials, and effective communication [B]may be where we are behind. I hope we catch up and head this off.[/B]

President Trump restricted travel from China into the USA weeks ago. That has surely helped limit the spread of the virus here in a big way. So you are wrong there.

Your last statement is pure liberal BS, which is all your posts contain. There is no area where we have to "catch up". You even said "may" be behind. Which indicates you have no idea.

You would have more credibility if you just said Orange Man Bad rather than spewing fake liberal propaganda. I'm done here, have a good one.
jetpilot Wrote:President Trump restricted travel from China into the USA weeks ago. That has surely helped limit the spread of the virus here in a big way. So you are wrong there.

Your last statement is pure liberal BS, which is all your posts contain. There is no area where we have to "catch up". You even said "may" be behind. Which indicates you have no idea.

You would have more credibility if you just said Orange Man Bad rather than spewing fake liberal propaganda. I'm done here, have a good one.

I was referring to the restricted travel inside their borders. Those extreme measures shouldn't have been done yet; no one expects that.

We were behind on tests for sure. The few we had didn't work because the CDC chose to use their own rather the WHO recommended ones, so ill prepared out of the gate.

The President has to clear up his messages. I realize no one wants panic incited, but we can't nominalize the seriousness either.
EducatëdHillbilly™
@RobProvince
Not a single medical professional I work with is in a panic. It’s startling to see the difference in one of the biggest ERs in America and the news.
I try not to take this stuff too seriously, but things keep getting crazier and crazier. Berea College is closing for the semester after today , March 10. They will NOT finish classes on the internet. Students have to be moved out by Saturday. Are they over reacting? Full story is at the link below.

https://wbontv.com/2020/03/10/berea-coll...YFNRJaoj-s
Westside Wrote:I try not to take this stuff too seriously, but things keep getting crazier and crazier. Berea College is closing for the semester after today , March 10. They will NOT finish classes on the internet. Students have to be moved out by Saturday. Are they over reacting? Full story is at the link below.

https://wbontv.com/2020/03/10/berea-coll...YFNRJaoj-s

Centre will as well. Moving the rest of the semester to digitally be competed.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
This Coronavirus stuff is getting out of hand. Colleges closing for the semester, the Ivy League cancelling their post season tournament. My son's soccer league sent us a memo today asking the players and coaches not to shake hands or give high fives. The media is creating all this paranoia by sensationalizing and giving misinformation.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jarons Wrote:This Coronavirus stuff is getting out of hand. Colleges closing for the semester, the Ivy League cancelling their post season tournament. My son's soccer league sent us a memo today asking the players and coaches not to shake hands or give high fives. The media is creating all this paranoia by sensationalizing and giving misinformation.

This is what I’m hoping and leaning towards as well. But I don’t understand how it’s legal to give out this misinformation to scare people into a frenzy to where Walmart, world largest retailer, can not get supplies to delivered and provide for their customers.
#BBFL
This is extremely alarming.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cZFhjMQrVt...rgNlFl_TFk