Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Classic Game Links
1987 (or Prior) - Paintsville vs. Johnson Central

Undated video of Paintsville and future Kentucky Wildcat and current NCAA head coach John Pelphrey and Paintsville in a home game against Johnson Central. If I'm not mistaken, there was no three point line in the high school game prior to 1988, so I know the video is 1987 or before, but that isn't much help, as I think Pelphrey graduated in 1987. Going to ask for some of the 15th Region poster's help on dating this one.
1990 - Paintsville vs. Johnson Central

Another edition of the cross-town rivalry.
2005 - Warren Central vs. Holmes - Sweet 16 First Round

Holmes was led by Austin Hill (Illinois State), Greg Rice (Central State), and Duran Jefferson; they also had a young Arrez Henderson (Louisiana Tech). Warren Central was coming off a State Championship season, but no one expected them to be back. They were led by Jeremy Anderson (Liberty), and Troy McFarland (Olney Central College [good JUCO program].
1987 - Kentucky vs. Indiana High School All-Star Game

Kentucky is led by Mr. Basketball John Pelfrey and future teammates Deron Feldhaus and Sean Sutton. Indiana is led by future LA Laker Rick Fox, who ironically, was ineligible to play in Indiana that season but wound up in the All-Star game.
2000 - North Laurel vs. South Laurel

London's crosstown rivalry featured three Cardinals who would become head coaches (Richie Riley, Nathan Valentine, and Brad Sizemore). Ironically enough, two of those three would wind up coaching North Laurel (Sizemore and Valentine). Riley played at EKU and has had assistant gigs at Georgetown College, AUB, and Clemson, and was the head coach at Nicholls State before taking his current job at the University of South Alabama.
Instant Classic!! 55th District Championship Wilgus Tolson last second buzzer beater
JokersWild24 Wrote:2000 - North Laurel vs. South Laurel

London's crosstown rivalry featured three Cardinals who would become head coaches (Richie Riley, Nathan Valentine, and Brad Sizemore). Ironically enough, two of those three would wind up coaching North Laurel (Sizemore and Valentine). Riley played at EKU and has had assistant gigs at Georgetown College, AUB, and Clemson, and was the head coach at Nicholls State before taking his current job at the University of South Alabama.

Great Game!
Awesome game! Thanks for the link.
1996 - Ashland Blazer vs. Paducah Tilghman - KHSAA Sweet 16 First Round

Two teams from opposite ends of the State meet in Rupp. Players for each team are covered in other posts in this thread.
1997 - Paintsville vs. Pikeville - 15th Region Tournament Semi-Finals

Players for Paintsville are covered elsewhere. I'll let one of the 15th's posters add in anything they'd like to volunteer on the Pikeville Panthers.
JokersWild24 Wrote:1997 - Paintsville vs. Pikeville - 15th Region Tournament Semi-Finals

Players for Paintsville are covered elsewhere. I'll let one of the 15th's posters add in anything they'd like to volunteer on the Pikeville Panthers.
Why not? Everyone knows of the successes of Paintsville from 96-98. Pikeville would not pose much a threat in 1997, but in 1998, Paintsville’s State runner-up season, Coach Dave Thomas’ Panthers would have the Tigers on the ropes and if not for a (to be fair I have never seen the play) debatable block/charge call on JR Vanhoose the Panthers might have headed to Rupp Arena instead of the Tigers. Then in 1999 Pikeville would capitalize on a successful decade by winning the 15th Region for the first time since 1974. Coach Thomas, who had already claimed regional baseball titles in 1991, 1992, and 1994 at PHS in the early 90’s, would go on to lead PHS Softball to back to back Softball Region Titles in 2017 & 2018.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Why not? Everyone knows of the successes of Paintsville from 96-98. Pikeville would not pose much a threat in 1997, but in 1998, Paintsville’s State runner-up season, Coach Dave Thomas’ Panthers would have the Tigers on the ropes and if not for a (to be fair I have never seen the play) debatable block/charge call on JR Vanhoose the Panthers might have headed to Rupp Arena instead of the Tigers. Then in 1999 Pikeville would capitalize on a successful decade by winning the 15th Region for the first time since 1974. Coach Thomas, who had already claimed regional baseball titles in 1991, 1992, and 1994 at PHS in the early 90’s, would go on to lead PHS Softball to back to back Softball Region Titles in 2017 & 2018.

I was meaning that I'd already listed the players for Paintsville and where they ended up in the thread earlier. I didn't know many of the Pikeville players or where they ended up off the top of my head and was meaning that there was probably someone who could do so if I didn't have the time to look them all up.
2016 - Lexington Catholic vs. Scott County

Michael Moreno leads Billy Hick's Cardinals against Zan Payne (Kentucky) and Luke Johnson (Loyola Maryland) in a regular season contest in the 2016-2017 season.
2004 - Warren Central vs. Mason County - State Finals

Finally found one I was looking for: the force of nature that was Chris Lofton. Lofton (Tennessee), Dustin Grutza (Cincinnati Bearcats QB), Jarrod Litzinger (Pikeville), and an 8th grade Darius Miller (Kentucky) and company went into the tournament looking to defend their State Championship from 2003, but were down a starter from the 10th Region Final.

The Royals faced a Warren Central team that had ran through the field like a buzzsaw up until a somewhat close game against Covington Catholic that morning. Tim Riley's Dragons were led by Lonell Dewalt (Kentucky Football), Matt Maresca (Western Kentucky), and Ryan Anderson.

As an added bonus to anyone who followed a team in the year's tournament, the always great tournament recap starts at 11:38.

Go to the 1:18:00 mark in the video (or to the point that there's roughly 4:25 left in the game) to see Darius Miller drill a three that cuts the Dragon's lead that had been as many as seventeen to four; that's followed up by Lonell DeWalt's insane tip dunk at the 2:08 mark.

New find. Pikeville defeats Paintsville in January of 1989 on 2 free throws by Chris Slater with no time on the clock as the Panthers overcome a double-digit second half deficit to beat the 3-time defending region champs at TW Oliver.
Panther Thunder Wrote:Why not? Everyone knows of the successes of Paintsville from 96-98. Pikeville would not pose much a threat in 1997, but in 1998, Paintsville’s State runner-up season, Coach Dave Thomas’ Panthers would have the Tigers on the ropes and if not for a (to be fair I have never seen the play) debatable block/charge call on JR Vanhoose the Panthers might have headed to Rupp Arena instead of the Tigers. Then in 1999 Pikeville would capitalize on a successful decade by winning the 15th Region for the first time since 1974. Coach Thomas, who had already claimed regional baseball titles in 1991, 1992, and 1994 at PHS in the early 90’s, would go on to lead PHS Softball to back to back Softball Region Titles in 2017 & 2018.

Just re-read this and understood. Sorry if my last reply came off wrong. Thought you were implying that I was purposefully slighting the Panthers-- now realize that was incorrect.
1987 - Clay County vs. Ballard - State Championship

https://youtu.be/RjB_bQdPXTs?fbclid=IwAR...2npzPVlIh4

One of the most memorable games in Sweet 16 history as the Tigers bring home the gold. This is the first of the two meetings between the schools in the finals and is an overtime thriller from Rupp Arena.
1994 - Prestonsburg vs. Raceland - Greenup Co. Invitational

I'll let another poster fill us in on who the key players were for each team.
1993 - Belfry vs. Elkhorn City (January 4)

Intra-county match-up between two 15th hopefuls.
JokersWild24 Wrote:1993 - Belfry vs. Elkhorn City (January 4)

Intra-county match-up between two 15th hopefuls.

In that game, Heaf didn't see a shot he didn't like, lol
2019 - University Heights vs. Lexington Christian Academy - All A State Final

Kyky Tandy (Xavier) and the Blazers meet Kyle Rode (Liberty) and the Eagles.
2016 - Dunbar vs. Bowling Green - KHSAA Sweet 16 Quarterfinals

Bowling Green is led by Terry Taylor (Austin Peay), Perry Ayers (Centre), Kyran Jones (Georgetown College), and DeAngelo Wilson (Austin Peay football). Dunbar is led by Tavieon Hollingsworth (WKU), Jordan Lewis, Dontell Brown, and Darius Williams.
1998 - Muhlenburg North vs. Hancock County

See a young Patrick Sparks (WKU, Kentucky) put in work against the Hornets.
2006 - South Laurel vs. Corbin - 50th District Final

Coach Wright's club is covered on the first page of the thread, and he leads his Cardinals into the lair on Toga Night as they look to slay the defending 50th District and 13th Region Champion.
1998 - Christian County vs. Hopkinsville - 8th District Championship

Coach Hayes' Tigers square off against Christian County and Brad Fraser. The Colonels are led by Adam Pepper and the Tigers are led by JR Holland.
1994 - Pikeville vs. Shelby Valley - 56th District Semi-Finals

Pikeville upsets Shelby Valley, sending the Wildcats home for the season.
Audio only of the 1987 state championship game between Clay County and Ballard. Here's legendary announcer Jay Lasslo with the call on Hazard's WSGS radio. Plenty of mountain pride at the end of this one as the state title comes back to the hills for the first time since 1956. https://soundcloud.com/user-242399102-49...n-mcintyre
WSGS radio audio from the 1971 14th Region championship game with Ernest Sparkman and Jay Lasslo calling rivals M.C. Napier and Hazard playing for a trip to Louisville and the Sweet 16. https://soundcloud.com/user-242399102-49...ier-hazard
WSGS radio audio of the 1987 14th Region championship game between Hazard and Lee County. https://soundcloud.com/user-242399102-49...ip-on-wsgs
1986 Sweet 16 Hazard vs. Highlands with WSGS radio's Ernest Sparkman and Jay Lasslo on the call. https://soundcloud.com/user-242399102-49...ay-on-wsgs