Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaching job rumors
Derrick Newsome needs to be the coach at Betsy Layne and unless something drastic happens he will be. Brad Short is a great man, Derrick Newsome is a great coach. These young guys need his discipline and experience. If they will buy in, not run off because the coach that was easy on them got fired they can have a 2 year run to compete with anyone. The talent is there, what they need is someone to get it out of them. For the people unhappy because a certain other Newsome is pushing this, why? He cares about the program he’s one of the best coaches of all time. I’ll take his opinion over random BGR posters anyday
The guy can coach he knows his x/o's ! We dreaded seeing him come over to the 14th every year... Definitely top tier coach !!Starts guarding when they get off the bus!!.. I went and looked at KHSAA standing last year. BL beat one team that played in the regional tourney. Then that team beat them when it counted!
Has Newsome ever been a boys Head Coach?
You can say what you want. Short could very well be a “lifer” at Betsy Layne if politics didn’t get in the way. Wolfe County was a bounce going one way or the other from winning the 14th and BL beat them. Lost to JC by 4 with their best player hurt for the entire 4th quarter. You can go down the line. Like I said, I’m not against Newsome, he seems like a good guy and a good coach. But let’s stop acting like Betsy Layne would be like Kentucky when they replaced Billy Gillespie with coach Cal. They should have beaten Pburg, but both players and coaches made mistakes.
Milkcrate52 Wrote:You can say what you want. Short could very well be a “lifer” at Betsy Layne if politics didn’t get in the way. Wolfe County was a bounce going one way or the other from winning the 14th and BL beat them. Lost to JC by 4 with their best player hurt for the entire 4th quarter. You can go down the line. Like I said, I’m not against Newsome, he seems like a good guy and a good coach. But let’s stop acting like Betsy Layne would be like Kentucky when they replaced Billy Gillespie with coach Cal. They should have beaten Pburg, but both players and coaches made mistakes.

All the close games in the world don’t matter if you choke against Pburg two years in a row. I’m sure B. Short is a good man but the one who calls the shots is use to winning while being the coach at BL. Going on 7 or 8 years since they’ve made the Region tournament and with the loss last year to Pburg is getting the powers to be upset. Especially BL being way more talented. Higher ups love Newsome and are eager to get back to Region. They believe Newsome gives them a better shot than Short. They also believe Newsome would retire as BL coach 20+ years from now and he is connected with Stumbo since he is from Mud Creek and he’s a Bobcat thru and thru. They believe he will be involved with both feeders and help those programs and make it an easier transition for when those kids get to him. I hate that they are gonna force Short out but it’s now or never and they want Newsome there for a very long time.

On the flip side it may cause some players to transfer (players who are starters). I believe they are willing to risk that to have Newsome in place for the long haul.
Any body know Newsome coaching resume.
4low Wrote:Any body know Newsome coaching resume.

2012-2013 Girls Head Coach at Allen Central. 18-14, District Champions, 15th Region Semi Finalist.

2014-present- Pike Central Girls Head Coach

14-15: 11-17
15-16: 12-18
16-17: 22-12, District Champion 15th Region Semi Finalist
17-18: 26-6, District Champion.
18-19: 20-12, District Runner Up.
19-20: 13-16, District Runner Up.
Does anyone have any updates? Anything with the situation at BL or any news on who Phelps may be interested in?
Milkcrate52 you seem to have an emotional connection to the coach. From everyone’s account he seems like a good guy but just can’t coach
BoyWonder14 Wrote:Does anyone have any updates? Anything with the situation at BL or any news on who Phelps may be interested in?

Hearing Newsome is a sure thing will announce as early as next week. This is coming from someone who is inside the program. With Newsome calling the shots and the talent of Fraizer, Manns, Robinson, Howell, Mims for a starting 5 and the likes of Rainey, Kidd, and a young and up and coming sophmore in Newsome they could very well be the Dark Horse to run wild through the region next year. Derek is going to change the landscape for the Bobcats and take that to the bank...
Heard a Phelps alumna is interested in the Phelps job. Stay tuned.
HORNET POWER Wrote:Heard a Phelps alumna is interested in the Phelps job. Stay tuned.

Thank you for some sort of new regarding Phelps. First news I’ve heard from them since their Coach stepped down. Will be interesting to see who they get.
Has Derrick Newsome been name coach of Betsy Layne.
4low Wrote:Has Derrick Newsome been name coach of Betsy Layne.

Not yet. No name has been announced yet.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Spud6 Wrote:Not yet. No name has been announced yet.

Is it official that Short is out?
It's not official but im close with very close to people on board and in the decision making process. And from what I've been told they're going through the process just because its mandatory but Derek is their guy.
Has anyone heard if Al Hollon is planning on coming back? All year it was rumored that this was it for him. I also heard Shannon was thinking about getting out at Perry but don’t know that to be true.
Mamba Wrote:It's not official but im close with very close to people on board and in the decision making process. And from what I've been told they're going through the process just because its mandatory but Derek is their guy.

So If Newsome is already their guy, are there any rumors of players following Newsome to BL? Since he has ties all in Floyd County and with PCC.
Rumors some may leave to play football at Pike Central some may go else where for basketball.
BoyWonder14 Wrote:So If Newsome is already their guy, are there any rumors of players following Newsome to BL? Since he has ties all in Floyd County and with PCC.

Hearing maybe the Adkins kid from PC will follow. Also hearing Howell returns after he quit last season. With Howell's toughness I can see him taking the starting PG spot away from kidd and hearing 1 or 2 more may come with Newsome. They will have a Top 3 or 4 starting 5 in the region with a deep bench. Could make some big noise come next year
Mamba Wrote:Hearing maybe the Adkins kid from PC will follow. Also hearing Howell returns after he quit last season. With Howell's toughness I can see him taking the starting PG spot away from kidd and hearing 1 or 2 more may come with Newsome. They will have a Top 3 or 4 starting 5 in the region with a deep bench. Could make some big noise come next year

Which Adkins kid? I don’t believe B. Adkins or H. Adkins would since their Dad is the Super of Pike county.

Also how would the team accept Howell since he quit on them last season? If it knocks Kidd out of the starting line up how would that effect the team?
Kidd played a lot better in the later parts of the season. If everything happens that’s rumored to happen, they’ll be relaying on players who didn’t play much last season. But who knows, we’ll have to wait and see.
This will make their senior Jordan Frazier 3 coaches in 4 yrs hard on that kid.
Derek Newsome has went on record and said he loves a tough nose defender and unselfish player. That suits Howell to a T. As far as the team accepting him back I would assume they wouldn’t have a problem if they accepted the one kid back that left the team to go to Dollywood with cheerleaders during the biggest game of the year. Two kids coming with Newsome is a rumor also another kid from Pikeville also. Betsy Layne could be a final four team next year
Eastkyoutlaw Wrote:Derek Newsome has went on record and said he loves a tough nose defender and unselfish player. That suits Howell to a T. As far as the team accepting him back I would assume they wouldn’t have a problem if they accepted the one kid back that left the team to go to Dollywood with cheerleaders during the biggest game of the year. Two kids coming with Newsome is a rumor also another kid from Pikeville also. Betsy Layne could be a final four team next year

You seem like you know some about the situation. Let me ask you this. With Howell coming back what do you think that does with Kidd or other rotation players. Do you think Kidd would be happy if Howell got the starting job back after quitting? Two kids from Pike Central? Also couldn’t imagine a player leaving Pikeville unless it’s a bench player.
If Derek Newsome is a sure thing what's the hold up on the announcement and what was the problem with brad short. He had Betsy Layne best record in several years last year. Why is it Betsy Layne thinks they're better than they actually are I heard all season last year they were top 3 but couldnt even get out of the district..
I can’t tell you what that does to the rotation. Because at this point it’s all speculation. But if what’s being said is true about Newsome being a favorite to land the job then it’s a no brainer. He is a defensive coach and bringing Howell back gives you a tenacious defender that is a true unselfish point guard. I wouldn’t be shocked to see the Rainey kid move into the starting lineup or gain a huge role with the team. He was sadly underused last year. He goes into the game at district and makes three huge plays then gets took out not to see the floor again. If Derek Newsome gets the job he will bring the best out of those kids whether the parents like it or not
Defense and Rebounding is where the Bobcats struggled. It’s hard to believe a team as long and athletic struggled in these areas and this cost them several games this year. Howell will assist on the defensive end of the floor.

If Howell returns and the coach places him in the starting lineup, everyone will have to adjust. Nobody likes losing playing time or their starting spot but if you win it makes it easier.
Blackcatdad Wrote:Defense and Rebounding is where the Bobcats struggled. It’s hard to believe a team as long and athletic struggled in these areas and this cost them several games this year. Howell will assist on the defensive end of the floor.

If Howell returns and the coach places him in the starting lineup, everyone will have to adjust. Nobody likes losing playing time or their starting spot but if you win it makes it easier.

I’ll add to the Defense and Rebounding area and throw in floor leader. Seemed to me that the Bobcats struggled to run an offense against pressure man Defense. I don’t think Howell is that type of player. He just seems to play hard on Defense but how is he when you got say a Worrix, Tharp or Hall in your face as soon as you cross half court. I don’t think BL has that type of guy.

Also I agree ppl need to sacrifice multiple things to win including playing time but the question is are they or their parents willing to let that happen for team success?
If Howell comes back with maturity, he will be a nice addition to Betsy Layne. Hopefully the Bobcats can break through and get to the Region Tournament next season.