Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaching job rumors
Howell quit on the team around Christmas time because when he came back from a team suspension he couldn’t handle Kidd starting simply because he was a freshman. Doesn’t sound like a “mature and unselfish player to me.”
Eastkyoutlaw Wrote:Milkcrate52 you seem to have an emotional connection to the coach. From everyone’s account he seems like a good guy but just can’t coach
I have no “emotional connection to the coach”. If you, or anybody else don’t think the man cant coach then you haven’t watched any of his games in the past 10 years. How about beating Peyton Cases Betsy Layne team in 2015 I believe? Allen Central was over 20 point underdogs in that game if I recall correctly. His teams have beat multiple teams they shouldn’t have beat. Yes, Betsy Layne lost to a Prestonsburg team they shouldn’t have. It happens, when you have a group of kids that’s never played in a game that truly mattered against a team that had several players play in the county championship the season before, and you’re on their home court. You better come ready to play, but Betsy Layne didn’t and we all know what happened. Like I said in an earlier post, we gotta wait and see how it all plans out and if players leave or stay if they hire Newsome before we say they could be a final 4 team.
They played Pburg two years in a row Milkcrate in first round of district tournament. Some of the most mind boggling coaching I have ever seen in my life. Parents always threaten to take their kids elsewhere when they should be thankful to be where they are. Newsome will bring major changes and the players won’t be able to run over him like they have coaches in the past
Can we just make a Derek Newsome thread I mean dang..
Eastkyoutlaw Wrote:They played Pburg two years in a row Milkcrate in first round of district tournament. Some of the most mind boggling coaching I have ever seen in my life. Parents always threaten to take their kids elsewhere when they should be thankful to be where they are. Newsome will bring major changes and the players won’t be able to run over him like they have coaches in the past

At some point you got to quit blaming coaches for everything. The players have to go out and play the game. At the end of the day they are the ones that have to execute.. did you ever think that maybe the smoke wasnt all there. Imo brad did a good good he led them to their best record in years. Maybe at some point people will realize that the hype isnt what it's all put out to be
Not sure about the comment to should have never lost to Prestonsburg, before the end of the year Prestonsburg had one of the top teams in the Region. Due to injuries and other reasons it didn't pan out for them but they were still a very competitive team.
Any updates on who Phelps is looking at for their coaching position?
I know but won’t say.
Guys, 58th district basketball is in trouble because of political minded people. Coaching really doesn't play a very big part, just if you can scratch my back, and I can scratch yours. Politics will never change... Very sad.
I certainly have loved watching the BL bobcats play the last couple of season under Coach Short. In my opinion Short has done an excellent job and the kids respect him. I have been following the bobcats for years. In my opinion, it would be SHAME to replace him now, especially with someone like Newsome. If he's going to be replaced it should at least be with someone who has some experience as a boys coach and not just a girls coach, two different leagues. Certainly would be a step backwards for the bobcats. The real loss would be for the kids! Hope politics don't mess a good thing up for the bobcats. This young team they will be good next couple of seasons and possible district and regional champs. We will all be watching to see how this unfolds.
Milkcrate52 Wrote:I have no “emotional connection to the coach”. If you, or anybody else don’t think the man cant coach then you haven’t watched any of his games in the past 10 years. How about beating Peyton Cases Betsy Layne team in 2015 I believe? Allen Central was over 20 point underdogs in that game if I recall correctly. His teams have beat multiple teams they shouldn’t have beat. Yes, Betsy Layne lost to a Prestonsburg team they shouldn’t have. It happens, when you have a group of kids that’s never played in a game that truly mattered against a team that had several players play in the county championship the season before, and you’re on their home court. You better come ready to play, but Betsy Layne didn’t and we all know what happened. Like I said in an earlier post, we gotta wait and see how it all plans out and if players leave or stay if they hire Newsome before we say they could be a final 4 team.

Betsy laynes lucky to be a final 4 team in the district and that's only bc theres just 4 teams in the 58th. All I heard last year was how good they were but yet they never seemed to win against a relevant team. Yea you can say how good you are when you're beating buckhorn or a down pike central team or a down floyd central but when they played anyone with a small amount of talent they were exposed. The Betsy Layne faithful is so high on the kool aid they're wanting to get rid of a coach who has led them to 2 winning season in a row and best record since Junior Newsome retired. Yea Derek Newsome is a great coach and let's be honest hes better than short but why do they blame all their problems on the coaching. If I remember correctly they had a player chose to go to flordia to watch his gf in a cheerleading competition rather than play in big time game. I also recall a player quitting when the tough got going I also recall players arguing with each other at the end of the game district game. A team can only win when they function as one and it looks and sounds like they're a bunch if athletes who only look out for themselves and parents want to blame the coach for it.
Nolietotell Wrote:Betsy laynes lucky to be a final 4 team in the district and that's only bc theres just 4 teams in the 58th. All I heard last year was how good they were but yet they never seemed to win against a relevant team. Yea you can say how good you are when you're beating buckhorn or a down pike central team or a down floyd central but when they played anyone with a small amount of talent they were exposed. The Betsy Layne faithful is so high on the kool aid they're wanting to get rid of a coach who has led them to 2 winning season in a row and best record since Junior Newsome retired. Yea Derek Newsome is a great coach and let's be honest hes better than short but why do they blame all their problems on the coaching. If I remember correctly they had a player chose to go to flordia to watch his gf in a cheerleading competition rather than play in big time game. I also recall a player quitting when the tough got going I also recall players arguing with each other at the end of the game district game. A team can only win when they function as one and it looks and sounds like they're a bunch if athletes who only look out for themselves and parents want to blame the coach for it.

You said it brother!! BL has lots of talent, and lots of parents that think little Johnny is going to play for UK. It'll be tough for any new coach sorting this out. Short has a start on it and anyone new will have to deal with the same BS all over. Parents would rather little Johnny score 25 points and lose the game than see anyone else have success. Kids are pitted against each other from the house not to be outdone. You got a couple sets of these parents, be hard to change them. I don't see this team ever having any major success without stern leadership from the bench. Kevin Spurlock would have been the best choice to line this group out IMO. I also don't see a Howell being on the team next year. Be crazy to take them back regardless of who coaches.
Jacob Rainey and Shawn Howel will both see a major amount of
Minutes under a Derrek Newsome administration because of Defense and Grit. To say you wouldn’t have him back is laughable considering the team had the Robinson boy back after he left them for dead against the bulldogs on the biggest game of the year. Newsome has went on record and said his team either plays defense or they sit. It will be a change for sure as seeing the Bobcats didn’t hardly play defense. This could be a great year for the team if they buy in. Some kids are going to have to step up and be tough or they could find themselves in a different spot than last year. Interest from the hall kid from pikeville also. Runout has it his dad is a big Derek
Newsome fan
So, Newsome is the new coach at Betsy Layne
Eastkyoutlaw Wrote:Jacob Rainey and Shawn Howel will both see a major amount of
Minutes under a Derrek Newsome administration because of Defense and Grit. To say you wouldn’t have him back is laughable considering the team had the Robinson boy back after he left them for dead against the bulldogs on the biggest game of the year. Newsome has went on record and said his team either plays defense or they sit. It will be a change for sure as seeing the Bobcats didn’t hardly play defense. This could be a great year for the team if they buy in. Some kids are going to have to step up and be tough or they could find themselves in a different spot than last year. Interest from the hall kid from pikeville also. Runout has it his dad is a big Derek
Newsome fan

I'll start with this. Defense and grit go a long ways but if you have 0 skill under pressure on offense it's going to hurt you and from the games I saw howell struggled under pressure big time And the only grit and defense I saw last year from the entire bl team was when they took a cheap shot being down by 20 against valley and broke a kids arm.. 2nd I agree Newsome coaches for defense but hes not going to be able to sit the entire team. They're a bunch of offensive minded kids and as far as them buying in. If they wouldve bought in to short they wouldve won region is all heard last year so again is it getting the kids to buy in or is it a coaching problem and last and final I dont know Halls dad but if he is smart why on earth would he even think about leaving Pikeville for Bl. You have the best coach in the region the best returning team as far as most pieces returning and hes paired with the best player in the region. Why would he leave all that behind for? So he can become a Betsy Layne legend. What people need to realize is you can say it's our year and we're top 3 or 4 all you want but BL hasn't won a regional championship since the late 70s. Yea I know they won All a state in 2011 and that's a big deal but as far as the main regional goes Theyve never played at rupp and they wont for a very long time as long as politics are involved.
Could you imagine if the kids that suppose to play at Betsy Layne over the years stayed and didn’t bolt to Pikeville? You would literally have Riley Simmons there! Kyle Watkins would have been there! If they would have gotten this right from the start there would have been multiple titles to won! You have to get the right leader though. To many parents live vicariously through their children now and bolt when the going gets tough. Imagine Robinson and Samson’s together. That’s a scary duo to put on the floor together. Could have happend
Eastkyoutlaw Wrote:Could you imagine if the kids that suppose to play at Betsy Layne over the years stayed and didn’t bolt to Pikeville? You would literally have Riley Simmons there! Kyle Watkins would have been there! If they would have gotten this right from the start there would have been multiple titles to won! You have to get the right leader though. To many parents live vicariously through their children now and bolt when the going gets tough. Imagine Robinson and Samson’s together. That’s a scary duo to put on the floor together. Could have happend

I’ll take the bait. Here we go again. Someone else complaining that kids supposedly leave BL for Pikeville. Yes you can say Watkins did it (pretty smart move on his part). But dang Sammons and Hall haven’t been at BL since they were in 5th grade. Get over it. Heck if Rainey and Hopkins stayed at Pburg, Manns stayed at Floyd Central (where he played at DACE with Sammons) and Mims stayed at Pikeville where he went up until 5th grade BL wouldn’t even have a squad. I’ll give you Watkins but that’s it. Quit complaining about a few kids who haven’t even been at BL since Elementary school. BL has more kids in their rotation that didn’t begin at BL or a feeder than just about anyone in the Region. The whole problem at BL has been parents and politics. We all know that and we all know who wants to control everything. Stop with the transfers. Someone just needs to focus on fixing the issues. Short was doing a decent job but may get pulled before he can finish it.
Eastkyoutlaw Wrote:Could you imagine if the kids that suppose to play at Betsy Layne over the years stayed and didn’t bolt to Pikeville? You would literally have Riley Simmons there! Kyle Watkins would have been there! If they would have gotten this right from the start there would have been multiple titles to won! You have to get the right leader though. To many parents live vicariously through their children now and bolt when the going gets tough. Imagine Robinson and Samson’s together. That’s a scary duo to put on the floor together. Could have happend

So for. This statement you're saying the kids that left BL and went to Pikeville bc the parents and left bc the tough got going. Hmmm not buying that 1. The ones that left that I know of would have been the stars of the team. And isnt Riley from the floyd central school district. I mean he did play middle school ball at DACE.. and while you're bringing up people leaving for pikeville how about the kids that Betsy Layne brought in from different schools. Or do you not count that. Or how about you saying kids leaving when the tough got going. Isnt that what the Howell kid did when he lost his starting spot to Kidd last year after his suspension he couldnt start over a freshman anymore so he he took his ball and went home..

Also are you insinuating that Sammons, Hall and Watkins left cause they going got tough and their parents live vicariously through them? You live in a sad world. Don’t speak on a parents decision on what they do with their kid. It’s their life. Especially circumstances that happen when they where in Elementary school that you have no right to speak on.

Like I said I’ll give you Watkins. The other two haven’t been there since Elementary school. Give it a rest.
All I’m saying is just imagine if Watkins and Sammons had came to betsy layne with the talent they have now! They played grade school basketball there! Watkins was a tremendous player also. Get the right coach and keep the kids that belong there! To much talent bred from those parts to not stick around. Mommy and daddy want them in the big city with the bright lights and marroon
Eastkyoutlaw Wrote:All I’m saying is just imagine if Watkins and Sammons had came to betsy layne with the talent they have now! They played grade school basketball there! Watkins was a tremendous player also. Get the right coach and keep the kids that belong there! To much talent bred from those parts to not stick around. Mommy and daddy want them in the big city with the bright lights and marroon

Samons played grade school ball at Dace and Hall played grade school Ball at Pikeville. Neither one played past 5th grade at BL. Don’t speak on things you know nothing about. Maybe BL should look in the mirror and ask themselves why those parents decided to take those kids elsewhere. Jealousy from other parents who wanted their baby to be the best? Bad decisions from the top down hiring pointless coach after pointless coach? BL administration, coaches and parents have been getting in their own way for a very long time. You run off Watkins whose family done everything they could for that school and their athletics programs but stupid decisions from the top couldn’t see that. So stop with these kids want to play for the Big City School. These kids wants to feel appreciated for their talents and hard work then and their parents hard work to help build a certain program. Parents couldn’t handle the coaching style of Mike Howard in middle school cause he yelled at their baby but won multiple County championship. A few bad apples in the higher ups and in the stands that dislike the success of others have ruined that school athletics program. Again don’t speculate on something you know nothing about.
No speculation. Just facts.
Appreciated for their talents? Please tell me you didn’t just say that! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂. So you mean to tell me the kids that left for pikeville are better than the ones on the hill? You act like this is Lebron James to Miami. None of these kids are going on to the nba. Truth be told Robinson is the best sophomore in the 15th why wouldn’t parents want their kids playing with equal or greater talent?? As far as parents in the stands I will truly agree with you on that 😉
Eastkyoutlaw Wrote:Appreciated for their talents? Please tell me you didn’t just say that! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂. So you mean to tell me the kids that left for pikeville are better than the ones on the hill? You act like this is Lebron James to Miami. None of these kids are going on to the nba. Truth be told Robinson is the best sophomore in the 15th why wouldn’t parents want their kids playing with equal or greater talent?? As far as parents in the stands I will truly agree with you on that 😉

You mean to tell me the same kid who left his team in middle of the season to go to Florida is the best sophomore in the region. Yeah that who I would want to play with. If those parents wanted their kid to play with other good kids they wouldn’t have been big a big explosion between parents at the end of the district tournament game they lost yet again.

I’ll leave it at this. Next two years regardless of who BL gets as coach. Hall and Sammons at Pikeville will win more district and regions then the great talent BL has. BL better worry about getting to the Region Tournament before claiming any of their players are the best in any class. BL needs to worry about keeping those players together with a possible coaching change and their parents dislike for one another.

Also with the LeBron to Miami quote. If those players leaving to play elsewhere isn’t a big deal why in the heck do you and other posters keep bringing it up? Yes they better than the ones on the hill. You know it as well as everyone else that why you keeps bringing it up. Your comment alone explains why those kids aren’t there. Ppl think they don’t need their talent when they are there but complain day after day and say what
If this and what if that when they excel elsewhere.
Anyways enough back and fourth for the day. Has anyone actually heard if BL has told Short that he wouldn’t be back? Or if they even started interviews for the job? Also someone has to know something about Phelps?
I don’t have a dog in this fight but to say Betsy Layne isn’t ate up with talent is crazy. If they get Newsome in as coach and the upcoming 7th grade class don’t leave and stay loyal they will be a contender for years. Parsons Brown and Lafferty will make a dangerous trio. With Newsome leading them and bringing the best out of them it could lead to some dangerous teams. You can’t blame some parents for taking their kids elsewhere if they aren’t getting much playing time so I do agree with leaving if it benefits your kid
Eastkyoutlaw Wrote:Appreciated for their talents? Please tell me you didn’t just say that! 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂. So you mean to tell me the kids that left for pikeville are better than the ones on the hill? You act like this is Lebron James to Miami. None of these kids are going on to the nba. Truth be told Robinson is the best sophomore in the 15th why wouldn’t parents want their kids playing with equal or greater talent?? As far as parents in the stands I will truly agree with you on that 😉

I'm here to tell you the ones at PIKEVILLE are 10x better than the ones on THE HILL you know it I know it everyone at BL knows it that's y after 5 years they still talk about "man if sammons and hall stayed we'd be dominating" you know why they day that it's because the ones one THE HILL haven't one anything since those 2 boys left a bunch of social media publicity and a bunch of participation trophies. And if you think other wise go to the facts. Like I said in a previous post they haven't won a regional since the late 70s and it's not going to happen anytime soon. If you think the kids on the HILL are that much better have your new coach your AD or whoever makes the schedule and call Pikeville and get on the schedule I'm sure they will accept the game..
I'm here to tell you the ones at PIKEVILLE are 10x better than the ones on THE HILL you know it I know it everyone at BL knows it that's y after 5 years they still talk about "man if sammons and hall stayed we'd be dominating" you know why they say that it's because the ones one THE HILL haven't won anything since those 2 boys left except a bunch of social media publicity and a bunch of participation trophies. And if you think other wise go to the facts. Like I said in a previous post they haven't won a regional since the late 70s and it's not going to happen anytime soon. If you think the kids on the HILL are that much better have your new coach your AD or whoever makes the schedule and call Pikeville and get on the schedule I'm sure they will accept the game..[/QUOTE]
Say what you will you have to appreciate the boys that stuck it out and didn’t go up and down the river when their parents got upset. I’ll never blame a kid though. Some of the kids that leave schools would rather stay but it’s their parents or guardians that try to live their dream through them. From what I know of Riley Sammins hes a great player and ambassador of the game. The kid is special
Eastkyoutlaw Wrote:Say what you will you have to appreciate the boys that stuck it out and didn’t go up and down the river when their parents got upset. I’ll never blame a kid though. Some of the kids that leave schools would rather stay but it’s their parents or guardians that try to live their dream through them. From what I know of Riley Sammins hes a great player and ambassador of the game. The kid is special

Listen it seems you don’t know anything about anything. These kids have been asked numerous times to come back but they don’t want any part of that toxic situation. When parents of your teammates are yelling at you from the stands at a young age it isn’t really fun. Seems like that still goes on at BL. If Newsome gets the job I hope he can control it. That situation may run more kids off because it isn’t a good environment to be in. So stop with the parents taking kids up and down the river. Why would you want your child in a toxic environment. You can ask any of those kids past or present if they regret not going to BL and they will tell you it’s the best decision they have ever made academically and athletically. If you have any issues with these parents. I can help you get in contact with them instead of hiding behind a keyboard. With social media that won’t be a problem.

I’m sick of all of these posters on here always complaining about Pikeville. Give it a rest. Dingess went to MC, Paintsville and back to MC in a 3 year span. Nothing is said. Sykes leaves ER for Valley once again nothing is said. BL has several transfers of their own and it’s fine as long as their coming in. Idc where a kid goes. As long as they get eligible from KHSAA.

BL fans just need to worry about BL and the kids they have and what ever coach they bring in. They haven’t been to a Regional tournament in 8 years I think. And I don’t know if they even have a win in the All A tournament. How about their fans wait to they start winning something before they claim their team and players are great. They better fix the internal issues they have between their current players and quit worrying about everyone else. End of discussion.