Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Monroe Jones Wheelwright 1980 Jeremy Jones 03
On January 25 at Williamsburg High School Monroe scored 31 points. Then on January 26 at Lynn Camp Monroe scored 18 points in a 13th region weekend on the road. On February 9, 1980 in short bus ride to McDowell he scored 12 points. March 5, 1980 in first round of district he scored 26 points. Jeremy Jones on March 7,2003 scored 18 points in district final against Owsley County in Booneville. Jeremy in region final scored 12 points and 15 points in State Tournament. Jeremy was Honorable Mention in 2003.
If I am not mistaken, Monroe was on the Georgia team that made the 1983 Final Four.

Jeremy signed with Alice Lloyd but I think he quit the team after a semester or so.
The Georgia media guide has picture with Monroe wearing number 14. A Kentucky road game to Athens on January 28 the paper only shows the starters linescores. February 26 game in Lexington with no linescores. On the same night UK played in Athens, Mia Jones for Wheelwright scored 27 points in district game with Betsy Layne. At the Carrier Dome Monroe saw Chris Mullins from St. Johns play. Two days later he saw Michael Jordan play for Carolina. At the final four in Albuquerque he would have saw Louisville, Houston and the North Carolina State play in the Pit.
Who are some of the other father/son player or coaching duos from the mountains ?
Hoop Wrote:Who are some of the other father/son player or coaching duos from the mountains ?

Richard Farmer about 1964 and Richie Farmer, well you know that story. Clay County folks could give you some dates and scores. But these two were real players.
Monroe has a Final Four ring for 1984 when he played for Georgia with Terry Fair and several other future NBAers. I think Dominique Wilkins left for the NBA the previous year.
Hoop Wrote:Who are some of the other father/son player or coaching duos from the mountains ?

Joe, Clark and Clint Stepp.

Brian and Shannon Turner.

Joe and Brandon Marson.
I have heard of the Stepps - did one of them coach at Alice Lloyd too ?
I am not familiar with the others mentioned
JustThinking Wrote:Richard Farmer about 1964 and Richie Farmer, well you know that story. Clay County folks could give you some dates and scores. But these two were real players.

Ritchie's son was part of a Clay County state tourney team too - thats quite a legacy for that family !
Hoop Wrote:I have heard of the Stepps - did one of them coach at Alice Lloyd too ?

Joe coached at Alice Lloyd with his brother Jim. Their brothers Ervin and Gary both played for Alice Lloyd under them, if I have my facts straight. Joe and Jim are President/Vice President at Alice Lloyd now. Gary teaches there I believe and is an assistant coach for the men's basketball team under Scott Cornett.
I believe Earvin let the nation in scoring as a high school senior ? What a great basketball family -