Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coaches pink-slipped
Saw an article saying all Laurel Co. coaches had been pink-slipped. Heard the same in Montgomery Co. Any more?
It was evidently recommended by KDE, but Laurel County was all I heard until now.
Recommended, but not required. Wonder who in Frankfort came up with that recommendation? Probably somebody who got cut first day of tryouts when they were in school.
Now Laurel Co has rescinded the pink slips because of public backlash.
I think the thought is if there's a chance of no sports then districts shouldn't pay coaches until they know for sure.

I understand the logic. Don't agree with it, but I understand.
School systems have figured out they can save the payroll expense, and the people laid off can draw more unemployment than their wages were. ($600 a week from Feds + state unemployment)
Should do this statewide
jetpilot Wrote:School systems have figured out they can save the payroll expense, and the people laid off can draw more unemployment than their wages were. ($600 a week from Feds + state unemployment)

I don’t think you can even draw unemployment from losing a coaching job.
Cannot draw unemployment from losing a coaching job. That is not the coaches main source of income. 99% of coaches are school teachers or administrators. Come on now.
On top of that, most school employees (unless they have duties over the summer) have money deducted from their check every pay period so they can be paid over the summer. If I were pink slipped from my teaching job, I could draw unemployment AND still get my check from the school system because it’s money that was already earned. The district gains nothing by laying me off, they’re already on the hook for that money.
Can't draw unemployment from a Coaching position. Many School Systems in the past sent out pink slips on Coaching and AD positions. It's a protection to the system in case they want to get rid of a Coach after the May 15 date for pink slips. In our present situation not even knowing if we are going back to school, much less play sports it's the smart thing to do. Would save quite a bit of money if no school and no kids to Coach.