Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Derek Newsome makes Betsy Layne High School Coach
It’s official
Great move. Sorry to coach short he’s a good dude and a decent coach but Newsome is a Great coach. Just my opinion. Go Bobcats can’t wait to watch some games
It’s finally official. Good luck to Coach Newsome. Will be interesting to see what he does with the current roster the next two years. Also with the rumors of kids leaving and some kids following him. With a coaching change that seems to happen. Will be interesting to see what their roster looks like by the start of the season. Best of luck.
Gonna have to wait and see what the roster looks like, best of luck with the kids he has left.
Great hire! Brad Short is a great guy but change was needed and the higher ups at Betsy Layne looked farther into the future than one or two years with this hire. Wise choice. Newsome will make some of these kids even better. Think Donnie Hamilton, Byron Tackett, Jacob Rainey. Those kids are going to benefit tremendously because of their grit and hustle. Not to mention Shawn Howells return. Betsy Layne will be just fine
Congratulations to Derrick Newsome. He will be there for the long haul. Great decision Betsy Layne
BoyWonder14 Wrote:It’s finally official. Good luck to Coach Newsome. Will be interesting to see what he does with the current roster the next two years. Also with the rumors of kids leaving and some kids following him. With a coaching change that seems to happen. Will be interesting to see what their roster looks like by the start of the season. Best of luck.
I know you have some insight on a couple players rumored to like coach Newsome. One awesome PG especially. If their current coach ever leaves any chance they pull a Derrick Newsome and “come home”?
SouthEast18 Wrote:I know you have some insight on a couple players rumored to like coach Newsome. One awesome PG especially. If their current coach ever leaves any chance they pull a Derrick Newsome and “come home”?

From my understanding if this hire was made 5 or 6 years ago multiple kids would have never left that program. From what I gather their current coach doesn’t have plans to leave in the near future. I will say a few parents have a relationship with Newsome that goes back to childhood and they wish Newsome all the luck I’m sure.

I do agree for the future of BL this is a really good hire. I just hope they let him do his job and everyone buys him.
I'm really gonna miss Derrick. One of the kindest individuals I've ever had the privilege of working with.

We'll do wonders with Betsy Layne.
Great hire. Newsome is a good coach also a great person
Milkcrate52 Wrote:Gonna have to wait and see what the roster looks like, best of luck with the kids he has left.
It's my understanding they have only lost one player. That isn't much of a change from what they had last year. I look for them to have a great season, especially with the return of Howell and Bentley and the upcoming freshman from the feeder schools.
Isn't this the same Derrick Newsome who played at BL? Is he any relation to the HOF'er, Junior Newsome?
I think thats a great hire !!!
15thregionsportsfan Wrote:It's my understanding they have only lost one player. That isn't much of a change from what they had last year. I look for them to have a great season, especially with the return of Howell and Bentley and the upcoming freshman from the feeder schools.

As of right now, they have only lost one player. May lose more, may not. I don’t know. If you watched any last season, Howell turned his back on the team when he quit and left them high and dry. Bentley is a nice athlete, but not very skilled. The team didn’t graduate a single player, so I highly doubt that those freshman will play a lot this season.
Milkcrate52 Wrote:As of right now, they have only lost one player. May lose more, may not. I don’t know. If you watched any last season, Howell turned his back on the team when he quit and left them high and dry. Bentley is a nice athlete, but not very skilled. The team didn’t graduate a single player, so I highly doubt that those freshman will play a lot this season.
LOL Well, we all have our opinions. I suppose scoring 1 of 9 threes in the final game of the season last year and getting the team beat was more your cup of tea. Howell had his reasons for leaving as did many that were not satisfied with the teams coaching staff last year. Howell just had the guts to move on and not waste his time. I think you will see a very good and a very different team this year..... People need to be ready for the Bobcats...
15thregionsportsfan Wrote:LOL Well, we all have our opinions. I suppose scoring 1 of 9 threes in the final game of the season last year and getting the team beat was more your cup of tea. Howell had his reasons for leaving as did many that were not satisfied with the teams coaching staff last year. Howell just had the guts to move on and not waste his time. I think you will see a very good and a very different team this year..... People need to be ready for the Bobcats...

Who are you referring to as getting the team beat?? So now its okay to quit and take your ball just because you have your reasons. Quitting is quitting and at the end of the day you left your teammates hanging. Im sure he's a great kid and all but with him returning this year i don't think it will make much of a difference. KHSAA has him playing in 13 games last year and his stats are 3.9ppg on 10 for 21 from the field and 8 for 18 from 3pt for the season while going 13 for 19 from the free throw line at 68% and 1 rebound a game thats not something coaches are drawing up game plans for. Newsome is the difference maker on that team because he is a great coach but again with what I've said in the past they need to quit blowing their selves up because last time I checked they can't get past pburg in the district
15thregionsportsfan Wrote:LOL Well, we all have our opinions. I suppose scoring 1 of 9 threes in the final game of the season last year and getting the team beat was more your cup of tea. Howell had his reasons for leaving as did many that were not satisfied with the teams coaching staff last year. Howell just had the guts to move on and not waste his time. I think you will see a very good and a very different team this year..... People need to be ready for the Bobcats...
As did many? That was the only player that got any type of playing time that quit last season. He quit because he couldn’t handle a freshman starting in front of him when he came back from a suspension due to him cussing out an assistant coach and a ref. That’s not an opinion, that’s a FACT.
Milkcrate52 Wrote:As did many? That was the only player that got any type of playing time that quit last season. He quit because he couldn’t handle a freshman starting in front of him when he came back from a suspension due to him cussing out an assistant coach and a ref. That’s not an opinion, that’s a FACT.
I was at the game he pulled his shirt off and went into the locker room. Not sure what happened. He was the point guard and they needed him on the floor, that was obvious. They took a loss they never should have had because Short got out coached AGAIN. They had a team that should have beaten Prestonsburg two years in a roll to go to region. The team is loaded with talent and Short didn't know how to develop it or organize the players. Not to take anything away from Prestonsburg, they play with heart and play to win, but two of their best players had quit, several injuries and a very good Justice played injured, that should have been a win. That was on the coaching staff, Mimms was left on the bench a great deal of the game. Those kids played hard to come up short because of bad coaching decisions.
Nolietotell Wrote:Who are you referring to as getting the team beat?? So now its okay to quit and take your ball just because you have your reasons. Quitting is quitting and at the end of the day you left your teammates hanging. Im sure he's a great kid and all but with him returning this year i don't think it will make much of a difference. KHSAA has him playing in 13 games last year and his stats are 3.9ppg on 10 for 21 from the field and 8 for 18 from 3pt for the season while going 13 for 19 from the free throw line at 68% and 1 rebound a game thats not something coaches are drawing up game plans for. Newsome is the difference maker on that team because he is a great coach but again with what I've said in the past they need to quit blowing their selves up because last time I checked they can't get past pburg in the district
I'm not going to hurt a childs feelings by saying who I think should have played more and who shouldn't have, or why I think a team got beat, that's on the coach. Watch the film.........
15thregionsportsfan Wrote:I was at the game he pulled his shirt off and went into the locker room. Not sure what happened. He was the point guard and they needed him on the floor, that was obvious. They took a loss they never should have had because Short got out coached AGAIN. They had a team that should have beaten Prestonsburg two years in a roll to go to region. The team is loaded with talent and Short didn't know how to develop it or organize the players. Not to take anything away from Prestonsburg, they play with heart and play to win, but two of their best players had quit, several injuries and a very good Justice played injured, that should have been a win. That was on the coaching staff, Mimms was left on the bench a great deal of the game. Those kids played hard to come up short because of bad coaching decisions.
Not sure what happened? I just told you what happened smh. Mimms was on the bench because he was in foul trouble after playing well to start the game. Frasure picked up his 4th foul with almost 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter, had to slow the game down other wise he would have fouled out. They didn’t execute anything that was on their game plan. At some point you have to look at the kids and realize they are the one missing the block outs, slow rotations on help defense along with other things. They got out worked, not out coached.
Milkcrate52 Wrote:Not sure what happened? I just told you what happened smh. Mimms was on the bench because he was in foul trouble after playing well to start the game. Frasure picked up his 4th foul with almost 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter, had to slow the game down other wise he would have fouled out. They didn’t execute anything that was on their game plan. At some point you have to look at the kids and realize they are the one missing the block outs, slow rotations on help defense along with other things. They got out worked, not out coached.
Mimms had two fouls..... Short coached 14 years at AC and couldn't win a district. Beat some good teams along the way, no doubt in that, but still doesn't change the fact he didn't win a district tourney. He had amazing talent in those kids and choked. They started out with a good season. There was no discipline (other than suspending Howell because he cussed at someone, but I assure you he wasn't the only one that cussed on the team he was made an example of), it was coached as who they were, not what they had to offer the team. They had a kid shoot 1 of 9 and stayed on the floor almost the entire game. Of course, you will again have to watch the film because the stats say like 1 of 6 or so, but watch and count, I watched the game and knew that wasn't accurate but you can't post 1 of 9 it hurts the kids status, you know..... Those boys could have made some noise, but, due to coaching decisions, they were stripped of that opportunity. The coach makes the decision as to who is on the floor, not the kids. Do Kids have bad games, of course they do, but so do college players. Newsome will play to win, he will play the rotation that he needs to do to win, not who's name is on the back of the jersey. That's what every good coach should do. I look for things to turn around for these young men and I'm happy for them.
Mimms picked up those two fouls at the start of the 2nd quarter. If you go back and look Mimms had a fouling problem the entire season. A smart coach, sits him in the first half to try and save him for the second. Howell was not the only player who cussed on the team no, but he was the only player who cussed at an assistant coach who happens to be a preacher and at a ref to get a technical in a game. Promise you 1 thing, coach short didn’t play kids because “the name on the back” and if you think that, you just don’t know him and what he’s about. And no discipline? He suspended one of his top 2 players 5 games and made him run over 150 laps on the running track due to missing a district game. You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about, but that’s okay.
Milkcrate52 Wrote:Mimms picked up those two fouls at the start of the 2nd quarter. If you go back and look Mimms had a fouling problem the entire season. A smart coach, sits him in the first half to try and save him for the second. Howell was not the only player who cussed on the team no, but he was the only player who cussed at an assistant coach who happens to be a preacher and at a ref to get a technical in a game. Promise you 1 thing, coach short didn’t play kids because “the name on the back” and if you think that, you just don’t know him and what he’s about. And no discipline? He suspended one of his top 2 players 5 games and made him run over 150 laps on the running track due to missing a district game. You clearly don’t know what you’re talking about, but that’s okay.
I know the player you are talking about that was suspended early in the season, I also KNOW the preacher assist coach as well... I also know he is the one who suggested something be done about the cussing due to his religion or he was going to resign. Yes, the two fouls were in the first half, that don't mean he needed to sit the entire second half as well. He needed to be in the game, last I recall you are allowed 5 fouls, a good coach would have put him in the second half and if he got 3 in the third quarter then take him out, just saying.... I do know Short as well, have know him for years. Nice man, horrible coach, again my opinion...
It wasn’t early in the season? He was suspended 5 of the last 6 games of the season. And I’d like to know where you got 14 years at AC considering he started in 2011 and only had 1 season where he was under .500 with a school with 250 kids. He made the district championship 3 times in a row and if it wasn’t for a buzzer beater would have made it 4 times. Please, if you need educated on the manner, just say so. Don’t try and make stuff up. Mimms didn’t sit the 2nd half at all hardly.
Milkcrate52 Wrote:It wasn’t early in the season? He was suspended 5 of the last 6 games of the season. And I’d like to know where you got 14 years at AC considering he started in 2011 and only had 1 season where he was under .500 with a school with 250 kids. He made the district championship 3 times in a row and if it wasn’t for a buzzer beater would have made it 4 times. Please, if you need educated on the manner, just say so. Don’t try and make stuff up. Mimms didn’t sit the 2nd half at all hardly.
First of all I'm not making things up, honest mistake on the years he coached, I honesty thought it was longer. I looked it up it was 2011 you're right on that point. Regardless of the buzzer beater, it was still a loss. Mimms did sit a lot of the second half he should have been in the game, but that's neither here or their either. I can see you're a Brad Short fan and that is your choice. I was at most of the games his short two years and I saw a lot that should have and could have been done differently. Go watch the film, it's available on facebook Big Blue sports or Bobcat sports live, something like that. See for yourself, nothing will change the score though...... But regardless, the boys will have a good coach this year and they will have a great season. A lot of talent on the team, just like last year. The only one they have lost is Manns who went to an already very good Pikeville team.
I like Brad Short and would love to see him coach somewhere again one day. At the same time upon looking at the KHSAA site, in 8 seasons as a high school coach, 4 of them resulted in losing seasons. This past season though was his best season record wise going 17-12.

He lead Allen Central to a great upset in 2015 when they beat Betsy Layne in the first round of the District and he did get them back to the Region Tournament the last 3 years they were open, so he did better than Mark Martin had done, but the Rebels were still a far cry from the days of Johnny Martin.

This past year was Betsy Layne's first year with winning record since that 2015 season. They beat some quality teams out of region in Wolfe and Knott County but couldnt get it done in the District Tournament. I believe he should have gotten another year but the powers that be wanted Newsome and they got him. I hope Derrick does great at Betsy Layne as I'd love to see them competing for District and Region titles.
I can see Big things coming in the Pipeline... Like the Chemistry of the team.. Saw them play a few times last year, should see some major growth this season. Wishing Newsome and the Team a great season!!
Betsy Layne had some good wins last year and had a lot of young talent, they hit a home run with this hire.