Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OBI coach has left
I think Red Bird is closer to 80 and JBS is something like 20.
If and I say if, OBI is going to hire a new Coach they need to get on with it. Looks like a lot of work is being missed out on by the local kids. I know Frost, Estep and Gritton are local and I think Allen is also. All those could benefit by working this Summer.
Gritton and Allen didn't play in any games last year, according to KHSAA stats.
I'm thinking the president of the school could lead workouts if he wants - best player at the school in 30-plus years.
HCS Wrote:Gritton and Allen didn't play in any games last year, according to KHSAA stats.

That's true. Didn't dress Varsity last year as 8th graders for whatever the reason. Did dress Varsity as 7th graders.
HCS Wrote:I'm thinking the president of the school could lead workouts if he wants - best player at the school in 30-plus years.
You’re correct. Gritton was a very good guard in his day. Deadly at the free throw line.

As for the best player in OBI history, in my opinion, one has to go back to the late 1970’s. That would be Ben Franklin, about 6’5 or 6’6 and was a tremendous player. Could tear the rim down with dunks. Unfortunately they never had much guard play to go with him. They also had another 6’6 kid that played front court.
I said the last 30-plus years - early 90s for Gritton. Franklin may have been the best overall.
JustThinking Wrote:That's true. Didn't dress Varsity last year as 8th graders for whatever the reason. Did dress Varsity as 7th graders.

I thought Gritton was a sophomore or junior last year. I don't know the other name.
The one I have on my list was a senior last year. There was an Allen who played in two games in 2019 and another Gritton who played in one.
HCS Wrote:The one I have on my list was a senior last year. There was an Allen who played in two games in 2019 and another Gritton who played in one.

2018-2019 Roster Charles Allen 7th Grader, Alexander Gritton 7th Grader. Gritton is one of the OBI Grittons and Allen is a real common name in Oneida. Maybe Big Mouth can clear this up for us ????
Hearing the Gay name thrown around a lot in Oneida. Daniel more than Clinton. Daniel has been the Assistant 2 different times at Oneida Baptist. Hope he gets the job if that is what he wants. Good luck to them on whomever they hire.
There is a story today by Kentucky Today that says only local students - around 125 - for this school year. If that is also counting grades K-8, I wonder if that leaves only 40-50 for high school. The story said cross country, volleyball and "possibly basketball" would be offered.
HCS Wrote:There is a story today by Kentucky Today that says only local students - around 125 - for this school year. If that is also counting grades K-8, I wonder if that leaves only 40-50 for high school. The story said cross country, volleyball and "possibly basketball" would be offered.

Hearing the same thing. I don't know if they would have enough to fill a roster. Will be a hard year if they even get to play.
Hate that for the School and the Kids involved. They had a couple local kids coming back. Estep and Frost, wonder where or what they are going to do ? Would they be automatically able to play at another school ?
(10-05-2020, 09:09 AM)JustThinking Wrote: Hate that for the School and the Kids involved. They had a couple local kids coming back. Estep and Frost, wonder where or what they are going to do ? Would they be automatically able to play at another school ?
The Estep boy is at North I think and I heard the Frost kid went to Jackson Co
Estep can help N. Laurel, shoots the ball real well. Don't know how much Frost will play at Jackson Co.
is OBI playing this year. Here is the schedule

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/k.../?id=84667

Also i took a look at the state site and they don't have a coach listed

https://khsaa.org/basketball-coaches-boys-htm/
(10-26-2020, 08:18 PM)cadets1988 Wrote: is OBI playing this year.  Here is the schedule

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/k.../?id=84667

Also i took a look at the state site and they don't have a coach listed

https://khsaa.org/basketball-coaches-boys-htm/
I posted the story above.
thank you. I did not see that. I appreciate you sharing and here's to hoping they make a strong come back next year
Tough times, hate to see a storied program go down. Will they recover?