Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Popular" bands that suck
I’m basing mine on, you know, who I like. So it’s:
AC/DC
Bob Seger & Silver Bullet Band
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Guns ‘n’ Roses
Van Halen (with Sammy for the songs, with Diamond Dave for Eddie’s guitar playing)
Bad Company and any band where Paul Rodgers is the singer
Aerosmith, the early years
ZZ Top, before they sold out for MTV

And two bonus picks
Ted Nugent
Blackberry Smoke

I only have two acts that aren’t from the U.S. You guys have a lot of English bands. Who do you consider the greatest American band ever? I’m torn on that.
Some of the band's I really like to listen to are:

Metallic
Guns N Roses
Motley Crue
AC\DC
ZZ Top
Led Zapplin
Van Halen
Dooby Brothers
Panthers
Slip Knot
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Alabama
Wayland Jennings
Billy Joel
Journey
David Bowie
Chicago
Def Leopard
Hall and Oats
Huey Lewis and the News
Tina Turner
Tom Petty
Pink Floyd
Phil Collins
Creed
Van Hagar Wrote:I’m basing mine on, you know, who I like. So it’s:
AC/DC
Bob Seger & Silver Bullet Band
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Guns ‘n’ Roses
Van Halen (with Sammy for the songs, with Diamond Dave for Eddie’s guitar playing)
Bad Company and any band where Paul Rodgers is the singer
Aerosmith, the early years
ZZ Top, before they sold out for MTV

And two bonus picks
Ted Nugent
Blackberry Smoke

I only have two acts that aren’t from the U.S. You guys have a lot of English bands. Who do you consider the greatest American band ever? I’m torn on that.

American Bands

+++ Allman Bros ( I enjoy jam bands ) I consider these guys the original!!!
+ CCR
+ The Beach Boys
+ Aerosmith

Have to give a thumbs up to Van Halen.

I've been listening to a lot of Chris Stapleton and Sturgill Simpson over the last 5 years. And really enjoy when they collaborate! If you enjoy slide guitarists check out Justin Johnson if you enjoy the blues. The guy is extraordinary!!!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
And the little bit of Blackberry Smoke I've heard - I've enjoyed!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
I would say the top American band would have to come out of this group.

Allman Brothers
The Eagles
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Aerosmith
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band
Van Halen
Grateful Dead
Creedence
The Beach Boys
Metallica
Fleetwood Mac
Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

Seger, Petty and Springsteen might be disqualified just because most people just think of them and not the band as a whole. If you made me pick I guess I would go with either the Eagles (I know, I know, I said earlier they were overrated, but I just meant as rockers, no doubt they are a great band) or Fleetwood Mac. All have longevity and at least one iconic album plus several more very good ones on their side, plus each group had hits with at least three different members singing lead, so versatility is on their side too.
Westside Wrote:Some of the band's I really like to listen to are:

Metallic
Guns N Roses
Motley Crue
AC\DC
ZZ Top
Led Zapplin
Van Halen
Dooby Brothers
Panthers
Slip Knot
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Alabama
Wayland Jennings
Billy Joel
Journey
David Bowie
Chicago
Def Leopard
Hall and Oats
Huey Lewis and the News
Tina Turner
Tom Petty
Pink Floyd
Phil Collins
Creed

I left Pearl Jam and Neil Young off my list.
Of course Fleetwood Mac is actually 3/5 English, so that may disqualify them too. But their two most notable members (Stevie Nicks and Lindsay Buckingham) are American.

And on one other related music question, when you are in the mood for a certain kind of music, would you rather hear Elton John or Billy Joel? For me it’s Billy Joel, all-day, everyday.
jetpilot Wrote:+Beatles
+Rolling Stones
+Led Zeppelin
+The Who
Eagles
Fleetwood Mac
Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band
Yes
Aerosmith
AC/DC
Doobie Brothers
Steve Miller Band
Pretenders
Dire Straits
Queen
ELO

I left Chicago off of this list.

Also, the best American band ever is............

Elvis

No lie, he is bigger than everyone except God.
Well I sure agree that Elvis is the top American act ever, but I was going for band here.
I've never liked Elvis.

First time I've admitted to this publicly. Confusednicker:
The greatest band of all time is The Beatles. They started out as the Quarrymen in the late 50’s then dropped their drummer and added Ringo Starr. From then on they were trend setters in rock music, not only in music itself but also in dress and style. They were the band all other up and coming bands copied. They started their career with simple love songs and a few years later changed again. And they wrote nearly every song they played. They had the benefit of having three great song writers in the group. John Lennon wrote 72 of their album songs, Paul McCartney wrote 70 and George Harrison wrote 24. I think Ringo wrote 1 song but he has self admitted that he wasn’t gifted at writing songs.
The Beatles are at the top and every time there’s a poll among rockers as who’s the best ever The Beatles always come out on top.
I don’t disagree with this at all. And I do like the Beatles, especially after they graduated from the simple songs they first started with. I’m just wondering who people think the best American band is.
jetpilot Wrote:https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-ar...-film-espn

Eagles concert from 2018 on ESPN right now. Same lineup and seems to be identical playlist from Rupp concert. GREAT concert and if it isn't rock I don't know what is lol...:rockon:

I watched this last night. I’ll give props, I thought it was great. I didn’t expect Deacon Frey to be such a solid a replacement for his dad. And Vince Gill’s voice was just made for some of those Eagles songs. Two thumbs up.👍👍
Van Hagar Wrote:I watched this last night. I’ll give props, I thought it was great. I didn’t expect Deacon Frey to be such a solid a replacement for his dad. And Vince Gill’s voice was just made for some of those Eagles songs. Two thumbs up.����

Pretty much identical to the concert at Rupp. Agree with you 100% on V Gill and D Frey.
Spirit100 Wrote:American Bands

+++ Allman Bros ( I enjoy jam bands ) I consider these guys the original!!!
+ CCR
+ The Beach Boys
+ Aerosmith

Have to give a thumbs up to Van Halen.

I've been listening to a lot of Chris Stapleton and Sturgill Simpson over the last 5 years. And really enjoy when they collaborate! If you enjoy slide guitarists check out Justin Johnson if you enjoy the blues. The guy is extraordinary!!!

Thanks for the tip on this Justin Johnson guy, he really is great. If you like steel guitar, but definitely not the style of an old country song, check out Robert Reynolds, he is unbelievable also.
Been on the road and heard another "popular" band that sucks: REM. Ugh...

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/473f5d17-8d...6695e6efc9
There’s a few posts on here dissing The Rolling Stones but I love nearly all their songs. They’re classic. A lot of their music, particularly early on, has a lot of Blues sound. One of the greatest rock bands of all time, right behind The Beatles, who are number 1 of all time in my opinion and every poll of the Rock industry that’s ever been taken.

As far as overrated I can think of a few. Although when discussing rock there are many different kinds so that has to be taken into consideration. But a few I will mention are Metallica, Nirvana, AC/DC (I agree...all their songs sound too similar). And I agree with the comment about the studio enhanced boy and girl harmony bands. Definitely in the overrated category.
(08-30-2020, 03:17 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: There’s a few posts on here dissing The Rolling Stones but I love nearly all their songs. They’re classic. A lot of their music, particularly early on, has a lot of Blues sound.  One of the greatest rock bands of all time, right behind The Beatles, who are number 1 of all time in my opinion and every poll of the Rock industry that’s ever been taken.

As far as overrated I can think of a few. Although when discussing rock there are many different kinds so that has to be taken into consideration. But a few I will mention are Metallica, Nirvana, AC/DC (I agree...all their songs sound too similar). And I agree with the comment about the studio enhanced boy and girl harmony bands. Definitely in the overrated category.

Wow, you and I do not have similar tastes at all.  I had the Rolling Stones on my overrated list.  They have a few songs I like (Paint it Black), but overall I just don't feel they deserve to be mentioned among the all-time greats.

Then, you have Metallica listed as overrated?  Blasphemy!!   I consider Metallica to be the greatest rock band of all time!!
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]