Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music icons who died too soon
Ok, enough politics, time for something more interesting (and important)—music!  This discussion got started at work this morning, and I found it thought-provoking. Of all the great musicians and musical acts that left us way too soon, if you had the power to erase one of those and give them a full career, who would it be?

My knee jerk reaction was Jimi Hendrix, just to see what he would have eventually accomplished as a guitarist.  But after I thought about it for a while, I think my answer is the members of Skynyrd that died in the plane crash. I feel like they were just hitting their stride as a band, and it’s untelling how many more timeless songs Ronnie Van Zant still had in him.

Who would it be for you?
Buddy Holly came to mind first for me. He died at 22 years old.

Also Eddie Cochran. Read a book about him. Died at 21.

Stray Cats paid tribute to him and Gene Vincent in this awesome video. Eddie Cochran was cool before Elvis.

also Eddie Cochran
You all probably don't listen to rap but I would definitely put Mac Miller on this list.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
^^You can put Notorious BIG and Tupac on there too but that idiot Puff Daddy will probably live to be 100.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Van Hagar
(11-24-2020, 10:08 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^You can put Notorious BIG and Tupac on there too but that idiot Puff Daddy will probably live to be 100.
Before my time but I’d definitely put them on there
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
On the country side, I would go with Kentucky’s own Keith Whitley. Fantastic voice, would have been a huge star I think if he hadn’t passed so early.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • jetpilot
Keith Whitley was fantastic. Patsy Cline was another tragic early death.
The King was only 42 when he left us. It would have been interesting to see what more he would have accomplished or how many grilled PB & Banana sandwiches he could have downed with another 30 years.

Dan Fogelberg was a singer/songwriter extraordinaire who died at just 56. I would have liked to have heard another decade or two of his work.

Warren Zevon ( "Werewolves of London," "Lawyers, Guns,& Money" ) was a creative genius with his writing and musicianship . I would like to have seen what else he would have come up with.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Van Hagar
Warren Zevon is a great one, Old School Hound. Vastly underappreciated.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Hoot Gibson
Jimmie Rodgers, widely regarded as the Father of Country Music, died at age 35 of tuberculosis.
(12-09-2020, 08:29 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: Warren Zevon is a great one, Old School Hound.  Vastly underappreciated.

Should be considered for the Rock n Roll HOF, imo .  How he put good music to some of those lyrics was amazing . I wore out the  "Excitable Boy"  LP when I was in college.   lol
(12-09-2020, 09:31 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: Jimmie Rodgers, widely regarded as the Father of Country Music, died at age 35 of tuberculosis.

Didn’t realize he died so young until going to Country Music Hall of Fame last year. By the way, I’ve been to a number of the ‘big’ hall of fames (football, rock and roll, etc.) and to me the country music one blows them all away. Anyone who has any interest in music should go.
Musician Age at Death

Hendrix 27
Layne Staley 34
Jim Morrison 27
Otis Redding 26
Buddy Holly 22
Hank Williams 29
Van Zant 29
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi