Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Colleges Shutting Down from Covid
Thoughts on UNC or Notre Dame two highly academic schools shutting down. Notre Dame is only shutting down for two weeks. UNC, I believe is shutting down for the semester. This thread is for colleges only. I will start a thread about states in just a few minutes. 

Enjoy!
I have no problem with colleges shutting down but they need to slash tuition costs for the period that they decide to operate virtual campuses. After teleworking for the past few months, I honestly believe that the future of college education in this country should be a mostly virtual experience for most students. Colleges should evolve into centers for technology, lab facilities, and other infrastructure that cannot be duplicated at home. There is no reason that basic courses cannot be made effective through virtual classrooms. It is time to cull the ranks of professors of dead weight and reduce the building and maintenance costs of bricks and mortar - and to pass the savings on to students.
The end is nigh.

Hoot and I agree.

Colleges are putting students in danger (and public health) to generate the dollars needed to pay the glut they have created. It's not about learning; it's about money.
(08-20-2020, 10:32 AM)Cardfan1 Wrote: The end is nigh.

Hoot and I agree. 

Colleges are putting students in danger (and public health) to generate the dollars needed to pay the glut they have created.  It's not about learning; it's about money.

My reasons for supporting colleges moving to virtual learning environments are unrelated to COVID-19. Such moves should lower the ridiculous financial burdens that colleges place on students and parents. It would also make political indoctrination more difficult for the communists who run many of the schools.
(08-20-2020, 12:32 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

Hoot and I agree. 

Colleges are putting students in danger (and public health) to generate the dollars needed to pay the glut they have created.  It's not about learning; it's about money.

My reasons for supporting colleges moving to virtual learning environments are unrelated to COVID-19. Such moves should lower the ridiculous financial burdens that colleges place on students and parents. It would also make political indoctrination more difficult for the communists who run many of the schools.

Horsecrap. Colleges have been an avenue of experimental thought since their inception. This country wouldn’t be here without those opportunities.    Only authoritarians want to quell free thought, but that is the conservative M.O.  

Most of the glut is in administration not professors. Add that to the conservative education cuts over the past 20 years and the financial burden is shoved in the lap of families.  

Then we have obtuse older generations ask why these kids are frustrated and ask for answers elsewhere.
(08-20-2020, 06:40 PM)Cardfan1 Wrote:

Hoot and I agree. 

Horsecrap. Colleges have been an avenue of experimental thought since their inception. This country wouldn’t be here without those opportunities.    Only authoritarians want to quell free thought, but that is the conservative M.O.  

Most of the glut is in administration not professors. Add that to the conservative education cuts over the past 20 years and the financial burden is shoved in the lap of families.  

Then we have obtuse older generations ask why these kids are frustrated and ask for answers elsewhere.
That is an impressive load of disinformation to fit into such a short post. I am not sure whether to assume that you are being dishonest (your dishonesty was demonstrated earlier) or if you are truly ignorant of how our higher education system works and about which side of the political spectrum is most responsible for placing limits on campus free speech (a/k/a the protection of snowflakes' feelings). I think I will just pass on wasting more of my time with a longer response.
(08-20-2020, 07:26 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(08-20-2020, 06:40 PM)Cardfan1 Wrote:

Hoot and I agree. 

That is an impressive load of disinformation to fit into such a short post. I am not sure whether to assume that you are being dishonest (your dishonesty was demonstrated earlier) or if you are truly ignorant of how our higher education system works and about which side of the political spectrum is most responsible for placing limits on campus free speech (a/k/a the protection of snowflakes' feelings). I think I will just pass on wasting more of my time with a longer response.

You impress me all the time.  Cool

Students are the ones who don’t want to hear racists and bigots come to their campus and spew hate, so that’s why they speak out. Free thought and hate are different. Hate has no place in this world much less the United States of America.