Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tim Hayes commits to Louisville
Dawg@heart Wrote:The great news here is that Timmy IS, and I repeat, IS, going to U of L to play baseball, regardless of how some of us want to argue about the reasons he is going. Figure the truth is something only he, his parents, and the U of L staff know for sure-not we as a group of "posters" on a forum.

The even better news is that Timmy is doing something with himself rather than spending his adult time sitting on a sports forum griping about everything.

Sorry if that offends some of you but this has gotten ridiculous the amount of folks that know everything there is to know about the world and how it works and try to bring eberyone else down with them. This used to be a fair, fun thing to do to pass the time.....

Pot, meet kettle.Smile
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Pot, meet kettle.Smile

This is what I meant when I said you seemed to be the provoking one....
I think Hayes should consider EKU, MSU, or WKU. He would play pretty early there.
He's got a great chance to play at UofL his second year there. Timmy is a first class kid and I am proud that he is a Lawrence Co boy! I'm even more proud of him and the way he handles himself!
Congrats Tim!
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Collett broke his thumb playing football and did not play his sophomore year the best I remember, and your right did split time with Justin Arms behind the plate his junior year. Paintsville had two very good strong armed catchers that year. But I dont mean to correct you but I have seen him pick runners off from his knees both while in high school and while in Cleveland when I went to see him play college summer ball.

Collett broke his thumb playing football his sophomore year, but did get to play in around 12 games before reinjuring it in the JC game and Arms became the full time replacement. They did split time his junior year. Back on topic though, Hayes is a good sized catcher that is very good defensively....I can't remember much about his contributions at the plate though. However, the best arm that has came through the 15th region or the mountains the past 4-5 years has been Adams from Pikeville....he's dominating at the college level here at PC and has for 2yrs now.

Congrats though to Hayes, always great to see a mountain kid get an oppertuinity to play major D-1 athletics.
IRISH4 Wrote:Collett broke his thumb playing football his sophomore year, but did get to play in around 12 games before reinjuring it in the JC game and Arms became the full time replacement. They did split time his junior year. Back on topic though, Hayes is a good sized catcher that is very good defensively....I can't remember much about his contributions at the plate though. However, the best arm that has came through the 15th region or the mountains the past 4-5 years has been Adams from Pikeville....he's dominating at the college level here at PC and has for 2yrs now.

Congrats though to Hayes, always great to see a mountain kid get an oppertuinity to play major D-1 athletics.

I wouldn't say Adams is dominating. Playing well yes.
1911 Wrote:I wouldn't say Adams is dominating. Playing well yes.

Dominating was a bad word, but I should've said playing very well....he hit over .300 for the season, he either lead the team or came close to leading the team in RBI's, and only allowed maybe 5 stolen bases all year if that which helped him rack up all conference honors.
IRISH4 Wrote:Collett broke his thumb playing football his sophomore year, but did get to play in around 12 games before reinjuring it in the JC game and Arms became the full time replacement. They did split time his junior year. Back on topic though, Hayes is a good sized catcher that is very good defensively....I can't remember much about his contributions at the plate though. However, the best arm that has came through the 15th region or the mountains the past 4-5 years has been Adams from Pikeville....he's dominating at the college level here at PC and has for 2yrs now.

i think hayes is definetely better the adams...even now not just in high school...i was talking to a couple of the coaches this summer and they told me at a showcase in louisville he was clocked at a 1.8, and defensively he is better as well...he has extremely quick hands at the plate and will be a huge contribution at louisville...comparing a kid playing naia division 1 and ncaa division 1 are way too different.
OMG Wrote:i think hayes is definetely better the adams...even now not just in high school...i was talking to a couple of the coaches this summer and they told me at a showcase in louisville he was clocked at a 1.8, and defensively he is better as well...he has extremely quick hands at the plate and will be a huge contribution at louisville...comparing a kid playing naia division 1 and ncaa division 1 are way too different.
It sounds like you just dont personally like Adams. Hey that happens . Josh can be at times irritating.

Nobody is taking anything away from Hayes but Adams did make it to round three of a personal workout with the Reds where they got him at 1.6. He also made it to round two in a workout with the Astros. Hayes is a much better hitter than Adams was in high school, but Adams to this day has a much better arm and has turned out to be a pretty decent hitter. Pro scouts cant teach you an arm, they can teach you to hit however.

Yeah your right you cant compare the two just yet, because Adams did not have the advantage of people helping to shop him around to major D1 guys, Hayes had a ton of help. But before you get to cocky remember this Hayes is a walk-on, not a scholarship player. So the comparison gets a lot closer. Adams could walk on as well at a hundred D1 schools.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:It sounds like you just dont personally like Adams. Hey that happens . Josh can be at times irritating.

Nobody is taking anything away from Hayes but Adams did make it to round three of a personal workout with the Reds where they got him at 1.6. He also made it to round two in a workout with the Astros. Hayes is a much better hitter than Adams was in high school, but Adams to this day has a much better arm and has turned out to be a pretty decent hitter. Pro scouts cant teach you an arm, they can teach you to hit however.

Yeah your right you cant compare the two just yet, because Adams did not have the advantage of people helping to shop him around to major D1 guys, Hayes had a ton of help. But before you get to cocky remember this Hayes is a walk-on, not a scholarship player. So the comparison gets a lot closer. Adams could walk on as well at a hundred D1 schools.

1.6? thats a little hard to believe, he must have jumped up alot since i seen him play, because he would have the state record if he was throwing a 1.6, but adams is a good players i wont deny that at all, but i just think that hayes is fundamentally and offensively better than him...i think there are quite a few who would agree with that...
1.6 is a stretch, he would have been highly recruited at the d-1 level if he were throwing that, but of course he could have gotten alot stronger in college who knows
bigE Wrote:1.6 is a stretch, he would have been highly recruited at the d-1 level if he were throwing that, but of course he could have gotten alot stronger in college who knows

Adams was like countless numbers of other kids from eastern Kentucky that never got the exposure that he deserved by venue of his high school coach. His high school coach just would not, for some unknown reason actively promote his players. His pop time is why he was called back for the third time by the Reds on a progressive elimination process and twice by the Astros. Wonder how many D1 catchers in Kentucky can brag of that fact? I would venture to say it's real close to the number nil. Also, if anyone should know, you should, that a kid cannot be drafted until after his junior year of college at a 4 year institution.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:Adams was like countless numbers of other kids from eastern Kentucky that never got the exposure that he deserved by venue of his high school coach. His high school coach just would not, for some unknown reason actively promote his players. His pop time is why he was called back for the third time by the Reds on a progressive elimination process and twice by the Astros. Wonder how many D1 catchers in Kentucky can brag of that fact? I would venture to say it's real close to the number nil. Also, if anyone should know, you should, that a kid cannot be drafted until after his junior year of college at a 4 year institution.

i am aware of that, where did adams play high school at?
OMG Wrote:1.6? thats a little hard to believe, he must have jumped up alot since i seen him play, because he would have the state record if he was throwing a 1.6, but adams is a good players i wont deny that at all, but i just think that hayes is fundamentally and offensively better than him...i think there are quite a few who would agree with that...
I didn't know they kept State records for "Pop-times".
The Guru Wrote:I didn't know they kept State records for "Pop-times".

just a figure of speech dont get your panties all bunched up
OMG Wrote:just a figure of speech dont get your panties all bunched up
:thatsfunn
Smile

Can I nominate that for "Post of the Year!" That was funny.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ring'Em Up Wrote::thatsfunn
Smile

thanks ill be here all week...just kiddin
OMG Wrote:thanks ill be here all week...just kiddin
dude, did you get that from "A knight's Tale"? jus watched it the other nite
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OMG Wrote:just a figure of speech dont get your panties all bunched up
LMAO....I don't wear panties!!!
I knew what you meant by it, I was just hoping to lighten up the discussion!
Ring'Em Up Wrote::thatsfunn
Smile

Now REU....It wurnt that funny!!!
The Guru Wrote:LMAO....I don't wear panties!!!
I knew what you meant by it, I was just hoping to lighten up the discussion!
We may need a reliable source on that, cause I am still a little skeptical.
Haha, we better end this talk, it's gettin a lil weird.....:o
Not to mention off topic.

Hahaha
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
bigE Wrote:i am aware of that, where did adams play high school at?

Why go through this whole charade?
?? i really dont know where he played...
Congrats on a wonderful chance to play at the next level. Good luck in the future!!!
Louisvilles current catcher is Derrick Alfonse . He played at Warren Central and will be a senior this year. Hayes could have a shot to play early on especially if he has a good bat. I haven't seen him play but Louisville doesn't give away free rides to kids that aren't pretty darn good. Congrats.
1.8 time is noted as exceptional for any pro/collegiate prospect at catcher.
I'm doubting that any eastern Kentucky player in recent history has a 1.6 pop time... seriously doubting.
I can assure you I have seen MANY D-1 and MLB catchers throw at a high school age and Hayes will have NO trouble physically at the D-1 level as a defensive guy. He will have to adjust to the better breaking stuff as a hitter and see how he develops.
Bottom line is it really doesn't matter what we think -- U of L thinks he's worth the time and scholarship even with an arm that doesn't "measure up" to the standards at Green Acres.
dbcooper Wrote:1.8 time is noted as exceptional for any pro/collegiate prospect at catcher.
I'm doubting that any eastern Kentucky player in recent history has a 1.6 pop time... seriously doubting.
I can assure you I have seen MANY D-1 and MLB catchers throw at a high school age and Hayes will have NO trouble physically at the D-1 level as a defensive guy. He will have to adjust to the better breaking stuff as a hitter and see how he develops.
Bottom line is it really doesn't matter what we think -- U of L thinks he's worth the time and scholarship even with an arm that doesn't "measure up" to the standards at Green Acres.
The director of scouting with the Cincinnati Reds says he did. Perhaps you can call him up and chew him out. Actually what I was told was 1.66.
Mr.Kimball Wrote:The director of scouting with the Cincinnati Reds says he did. Perhaps you can call him up and chew him out. Actually what I was told was 1.66.

Well, after a pretty exhaustive search (baseball prospect databases are on the web) the fastest recorded time I can find documented by a legitimate source is Taylor Hightower of Cartersville GA, whose pop time of 1.73 has landed him a rating as the top Division I prospect at catcher in the nation by at least one service.
Sooooo, I am supposed to believe that this kid you're talking about logged a 1.66? A full .13 faster than the top prospect in the country?
Who was it that told you this? Scott Nethery or Chris Buckley? Anyway, I'll be looking for this name at the very top of the upcoming amateur draft in June because that 1.66 is faster than the highest reputed MLB pop time of Pudge Rodriguez (1.67).
I hope this kid as a whale of an agent because defense is first and foremost among pro catchers and if you can cut down runners by the dozens they don't care if you only hit .220 -- and with a time like that, he's gonna be a gazillionaire.
dbcooper Wrote:Well, after a pretty exhaustive search (baseball prospect databases are on the web) the fastest recorded time I can find documented by a legitimate source is Taylor Hightower of Cartersville GA, whose pop time of 1.73 has landed him a rating as the top Division I prospect at catcher in the nation by at least one service.
Sooooo, I am supposed to believe that this kid you're talking about logged a 1.66? A full .13 faster than the top prospect in the country?
Who was it that told you this? Scott Nethery or Chris Buckley? Anyway, I'll be looking for this name at the very top of the upcoming amateur draft in June because that 1.66 is faster than the highest reputed MLB pop time of Pudge Rodriguez (1.67).
I hope this kid as a whale of an agent because defense is first and foremost among pro catchers and if you can cut down runners by the dozens they don't care if you only hit .220 -- and with a time like that, he's gonna be a gazillionaire.
Big difference in game poptimes when you are having to visually check on a runner going down. You generally have a delay in that time. As you well know a pop time recorded at a showcase generally involves nothing more than a catcher receiving a ball and then throwing on down to second. Yeah, there would be a huge difference in recording one vs. the other. Didn't say it was game pop time. Just as Hayes was not either, I'm sure.