Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th Region Pre-Season Top Teams
With the official start of basketball being pushed back to the 26th of Oct. we're about a month away from basketball season.  What's everyone's take on the top teams in 14th region this year?  What teams make a jump, what teams fall from last year, and who could be a sleeper team to look out for?
Expect the Eagles of Leslie County to make some noise this season. Really started putting it together at the end of the season last year even though they took a big loss in the district tournament. They just have so much experience and with the addition of the two from Buckhorn, and Trenton Day who is the most underrated player in the region without a doubt, they'll definitely be a team to watch.
Wolfe is probably at #1, slightly ahead of Knott Central. Breathitt should be solid. Hazard can never be counted out. Buckhorn has Collins in the paint and Leslie will be improved.
Wolf would get nod at #1 Then you have Knott, Hazard, and Breathitt in any order at 2-3-4 I would put Leslie at #5 and Buckhorn at #6.
Did Hazard end up getting the 6'10 eligible from New York? If they did, they are #1. Wolfe #2, Knott a very close #3, Perry #4, and Leslie #5.
1. Wolfe County
2. Knott Central
3. Hazard
4. Estill County
5. Perry Central
6. Breathitt County
7. Buckhorn
8. Cordia
9. Leslie County
1. Wolfe
2. Knott
3. Breathitt
4. Leslie
5. Hazard
6. Perry
Wolfe County is loaded with 3 of the top players in the region and the 6’8” freshman. Plus they have a very experienced bench.
1) Wolfe County
2) Knott County Central
3) Leslie County
4) Breathitt County
5) Hazard/Perry Co Central (tie)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoop's post:
  • Wolfeman
Will Letcher be able to make any noise this year in the region?
(09-20-2020, 10:50 AM)CriticalThinker Wrote: With the official start of basketball being pushed back to the 26th of Oct. we're about a month away from basketball season.  What's everyone's take on the top teams in 14th region this year?  What teams make a jump, what teams fall from last year, and who could be a sleeper team to look out for?
I heard the Bowling kid went to Leslie from Buckhorn. Who was the other one?
(10-20-2020, 10:18 PM)Bluecat Wrote:
(09-20-2020, 10:50 AM)CriticalThinker Wrote: With the official start of basketball being pushed back to the 26th of Oct. we're about a month away from basketball season.  What's everyone's take on the top teams in 14th region this year?  What teams make a jump, what teams fall from last year, and who could be a sleeper team to look out for?
I heard the Bowling kid went to Leslie from Buckhorn. Who was the other one?
Dalton Baker
Top 5
1, Wolfe- Last years regional tournament was a great learning experience for Wolfe. With Tolson, Johnson, and Thompson Wolfe has 3 guys that van go for 20 any night. Wolfe also has the one thing that's usually missing for Wolfe a big man in the middle. Ritchie has grown and improved and will be a major problem for teams down low. Wolfe also has great role players that have played in a ton of games the last couple of years. If Wolfe plays team ball and has a focus on defense they are going to be really hard to beat. I think this is the year that Coach Creech gets his title he has had a great run at Wolfe and some great players and teams.

2. Knott- Knott has a big 3 also in McGuire, Damron, and Napier that is very strong. I don't think Knott has the supporting cast that Wolfe has in my opinion. I think Knott has to buy into playing team ball and if they do they will be a hard out for the region. BB will have his team ready for post season.

3. Breathitt- Breathitt has a lot of questions but also has a ton of talent. Turner is a game changer and Bryce Hoskins he a strong kid that plays with a ton of energy. Remember the name Austin Sperry this kid has a great skill set and knows how to play for a kid so young. I think how he matures into a all around player will decide how good Breathitt can be.
I think this wil be a hard team for Coach Noble to handle without a true leader. They have a ton of young unproven talent.
4. Buckhorn- Collins is a great player and will shine this year, the last time BUckhorn had a kid leave them for another 54th district team it worked out ok. I think Coach Hoskins will us it to motivate his kids and have a great year.

5. Hazard- Hazard lost a ton from last year and have a ton of questions but 1 thing they do have is a great PG and a great post season coach. Big Al will have them in the hunt by the end of the year.
You sure done a lot of typing Reds Fan. Buckhorn sure isnt the 4th best team in the region. Perry and Leslie beat them 20 all day long. As for Breathitt they are unproven, probably not top 5 either.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DukeBoy's post:
  • MaroonPancakes
1) Wolfe
2) Knott
3) Breathitt
4) Hazard
5) Leslie

Wolfe has the potential to be one of the best teams the 14th region has seen in a while, KCC and Breathitt has the firepower to win as well, Hazard still has Pelfrey and is dangerous and Leslie will be a hard out - should be a great season !
(10-23-2020, 12:52 AM)Reds#1Fan Wrote: Top 5
1, Wolfe- Last years regional tournament was a great learning experience for Wolfe. With Tolson, Johnson, and Thompson Wolfe has 3 guys that van go for 20 any night. Wolfe also has the one thing that's usually missing for Wolfe a big man in the middle.  Ritchie has grown and improved and will be a major problem for teams down low. Wolfe also has great role players that have played in a ton of games the last couple of years. If Wolfe plays team ball and has a focus on defense they are going to be really hard to beat. I think this is the year that Coach Creech gets his title he has had a great run at Wolfe and some great players and teams.

2. Knott- Knott has a big 3 also in McGuire, Damron, and Napier that is very strong. I don't think Knott has the supporting cast that Wolfe has in my opinion. I think Knott has to buy into playing team ball and if they do they will be a hard out for the region. BB will have his team ready for post season.

3. Breathitt- Breathitt has a lot of questions but also has a ton of talent. Turner is a game changer and Bryce Hoskins he a strong kid that plays with a ton of energy. Remember the name Austin Sperry this kid has a great skill set and knows how to play for a kid so young. I think how he matures into a all around player will decide how good Breathitt can be.
I think this wil be a hard team for Coach Noble to handle without a true leader. They have a ton of young  unproven talent.
4. Buckhorn- Collins is a great player and will shine this year, the last time BUckhorn had a kid leave them for another 54th district team it worked out ok. I think Coach Hoskins will us it to motivate his kids and have a great year.

5. Hazard- Hazard lost a ton from last year and have a ton of questions but 1 thing they do have is a great PG and a great post season coach. Big Al will have them in the hunt by the end of the year.
I think you’re right about the Spurry kid from Breathitt. By the time he’s a junior, he will be one of the best players in the state.
Buckhorn and Hazard's obstacle will be finding the cast to step up with their star players.  Collins and Pelfrey will draw a lot more attention than they did last year losing the Bowling kid and 3 balanced scorers for Hazard.  Both have great coaches, I'm certain they'll find someone to step up to the plate.  Also hear that Hazard has a NY transfer. Can't confirm but that's the rumor.  You know how that goes.  Either way Hazard has a talented group that can replace some big shoes from last year.  Buckhorn will need to find another dependable scorer. Wolfe retains a well experienced core, Knott has the pieces to make a great run, and Breathitt will find the cast to produce that hard nosed basketball we're used to seeing.  Leslie has all the pieces, to be a top team.  Will be fun to see how they start out.
Did they quit playing basketball at Perry Central? Nobody mentions them any more. Got about as good of kids as you will find in this area even without the Harlem kids. The ones that are back have been beating everyone in the region all their lives. Got Beverly, Day, Duff and several others that are solid. They didnt lose anyone that couldnt be replaced easily.
1. Wolfe
2. Knott
But with McGuire back who suffered an injury and didn’t compete in region, and only losing 1 starter. 1&2 are neck and neck in my opinion.
3. Breathitt
4. Hazard
5. Leslie/Buckhorn ??
[-] The following 1 user Likes roundballer's post:
  • Wolfeman
Wolfe is the obvious favorite. 

But I really like Breathitt with Noble a great coach and Leslie Co is very interesting with the new additions.
Is the Cats Pause yearbook/preview out in stores yet?
The 14th Region will have several solid teams this year. Probably as strong or stronger that the Region has been in several years.
Twitter: @tc_analytics

How will Perry be?
(11-11-2020, 11:12 PM)HailPikeville72 Wrote: How will Perry be?
They won't be bad by any means. They lose a really good player but they retain some solid experience.
(10-25-2020, 06:42 PM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: Did they quit playing basketball at Perry Central?  Nobody mentions them any more.  Got about as good of kids as you will find in this area even without the Harlem kids.  The ones that are back have been beating everyone in the region all their lives.  Got Beverly, Day, Duff and several others that are solid.  They didnt lose anyone that couldnt be replaced easily.
I think Mclarnis will be a major contributor to this bunch as well. Not the most athletic kid ever but you can’t teach height and strength which is what he brings to the table. I would throw him in there with the “others that are solid”.
Not the most athletic kid ever?  Funny.  6'5-235-5.0 40.  They are all over the place around here that are like that I guess.
[Image: https://i.imgflip.com/4mx3v0.gif]
Bruthas Bruthas! Ole Fatpat drove by Hindmy and Spidey putting on a show like no other baby! Patriot Nation is pumped and the Big A## fans will be wide open at Mortys!  #havemercy  #covidcureistaters  More mash taters please!!!
I look for knott county and maybe even Wolfe count to run through the region like hazard did last year. That’s the only 2 teams that could win the region this year in my eyes hazard won’t even come close they will be lucky to come out of the 54 district I see lesile and buckhorn coming out of it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 14thregionfan2729010's post:
  • Wolfeman
Hard to predict who comes out of the 54th when they seed by blind draw
[-] The following 1 user Likes zaga_fan's post:
  • Poseidon
Second first day of practice! Get excited for these kids and pray we can start on the 4th.
I sure hope this is the last first day of high school basketball practice this season.