Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eddie Van Halen passes away
How high do you rank him on your all time rock guitarist list? He wasn't my absolute favorite, but I did love his guitar playing, and I would probably rank him #1, at least on uniqueness as a rock guitarist.  You could always immediately identify his playing, and no one has ever really sounded the same.
Rock just lost one of its all-time greats. I always loved Van Halen no matter who was behind the microphone, and Eddie was the main reason why. Amazing talent, I always had him as a Top 5 guitarist.
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[-] The following 1 user Likes More Cowbell's post:
  • Van Hagar
You can tell an Eddie Van Halen sound and solo apart from others for sure. He is on my Mt. Rushmore of guitarist. I am one of the few that liked the Sammy Hagar era just as much as David Lee Roth, but Eddie Van Halen was always a constant force.
[-] The following 2 users Like Big Blue 4 Life's post:
  • Van Hagar, Westside
I’m right there with you on everything you said. I actually liked most of the songs from the Hagar era better, I just felt like even though Diamond Dave was a ton of fun, he was almost amateurish as a vocalist. But it was always Eddie that mattered most.
More Cowbell nailed it in my book. Definitely top 5, maybe 3 ! Damn tobacco ...

Found a couple good vids on youtube this week , ENJOY -

and

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
He was an amazing guitarist. I like a lot of you all preferred Hagar over Roth.
We hadn’t really discussed this enough. What were some of your all’s favorite Eddie songs? I’m taking about the guitar work, which even though I generally liked the songs better with Sammy, it seemed he did his best guitar work when David Lee was singing. My all-time favorite is ‘Little Guitars’, it’s not played on classic rock radio, so if you’re not familiar with it, take a listen. Others where I always loved his guitar parts included ‘Panama’, ‘Ain’t Talking Bout Love’, ‘Beautiful Girls’, ‘Hot for Teacher’, ‘Dance the Night Away,’ and probably about 100 more.
Not their standard fare, but always loved this

Yeah, love that stripped down sound on that song. You ever heard Sammy explain what this song means? Supposedly Eddie called him up and insisted he come over to work on a song while Sammy’s lady was right in the middle of, uh, let’s say helping him relieve some stress. So Sammy came up with these lyrics. Sounds logical to me.