Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Playoff Questions
Let's not turn this into a COVID debate or discussion of how it is being handled, there are plenty of threads for that.  This thread is just about how we are going to deal with the hand we are dealt.  Thanks.

Does anyone know how the playoff's will be adjusted given all the COVID cancellations this season?  I don't think this has been addressed, and so nobody really knows the answer, but it is worth the discussion as we have reached the point in the season where it is now relevant.

There are lots of teams who have not, and will not get all their district games in.  Many teams have missed games due to COVID cancellations during the season.

Take DeSales for example.  They cannot play this week because of quarantine restrictions.   So after this week they have only played 1 district game.  They are in a 5 team district, so that means they have 3 district games remaining, and only 2 weeks left in the regular season after this Friday.  How will the first two rounds of the playoffs look for that district?  Only 4 of the 5 teams will get in, how will they determine which 4?  

How SHOULD the KHSAA deal with that and similar situations?

What happens if a team who qualifies for the playoffs is unable to compete in any week due to COVID restrictions?  It has to be a forfeit, right?

What other questions / issues should we be discussing?
I've been saying this for weeks. Round robin winners and losers bracket
As far as the playoffs if you are quarantined then you forfeit. For the regular season the KHSAA has outlined how missing district games or other games factors into the RPI including assigning an out of state contest value to any missed dates so that all teams have 9 contests to calculate.
This all hurts my brain to try and comprehend it.

The easiest path is this:
- As bad as i dont like having to play your own District all over again to start the playoffs, for the sake of this year it is a possible help.
- If teams have played enough games to determine seeding and COVID cancellations do not come into play, they resume playoffs as intended with the seeding the regular season produced.
- In the case like above with DeSales, that last week of the regular season should be reserved ONLY for a potential seeding District game. If this matchup does not occur due to a cancellation, then unfortunately the team who is the reason for the cancellation should be deemed as a forfeit and the win given to the opponent capable of playing.
- If both teams must be forced into a cancellation, it is deemed a Loss for both teams and the remaining District seeding is determined by their RPI. In other words if CAL and DeSales both have only played one district game and Jefferson County does nor allow them to play that week, DeSales would get in over CAL because DeSales is 1-0 and CAL is 0-1.
Being out in Western Kentucky, I hope the playoffs continue and are not interrupted because of playing teams from Jefferson County.
All this has been addressed by the KHSAA on the website. If two district teams cannot play then the higher RPI team gets the credit for the win. It does not go down as an official contest it is used only for seeding purposes.
With District & Regional volleyball and soccer being played, did those sports have any Covid-19 cancelations?
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
IMO then you can't crown a true champion & the trophy or advancement isn't "earned" if all teams can't play.
(10-22-2020, 09:17 AM)bucslover68 Wrote: As far as the playoffs if you are quarantined then you forfeit.  For the regular season the KHSAA has outlined how missing district games or other games factors into the RPI including assigning an out of state contest value to any missed dates so that all teams have 9 contests to calculate.
So assign a random number to all missed dates. Makes zero sense. Drawing seeds out of a hat would be as accurate as RPI this year.
(10-22-2020, 12:20 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 09:17 AM)bucslover68 Wrote: As far as the playoffs if you are quarantined then you forfeit.  For the regular season the KHSAA has outlined how missing district games or other games factors into the RPI including assigning an out of state contest value to any missed dates so that all teams have 9 contests to calculate.
So assign a random number to all missed dates. Makes zero sense. Drawing seeds out of a hat would be as accurate as RPI this year.
It is definitely odd but they are making sure that each team has 9 “observations “ as they are calling it.  So for example As of now Pikeville will have three “games”assigned a value of .51060 for an RPI due to not having 3 games scheduled.
(10-22-2020, 01:28 PM)bucslover68 Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 12:20 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
It is definitely odd but they are making sure that each team has 9 “observations “ as they are calling it.  So for example As of now Pikeville will have three “games”assigned a value of .51060 for an RPI due to not having 3 games scheduled.
Which is totally random and hurts Pikeville. "Observations" when a team doesn't play is just dumb. Obvious outcome is flawed RPI numbers that are in effect worthless. Like I said, drawing seeds out of a hat would be as accurate as these RPI numbers will end up being.
My 2 cents.
Forget first round of playoffs.
This will give each team a week to make sure they are available for playoffs.
If a key game needs to be played for district, then play it that week.
Adjust schedules so a district game can be played last week of schedule.
If you must forfeit a game you are out and the loser advances.
Khsaa MUST come up with a red county plan and MUST come up with a plan for no Jefferson County school.

PS. Don’t go by colored map but reported cases. Map is BS as I discussed in other topic.
When will the next realignment be? I sure hope they go back to the old playoff System This playing your own district over again the first 2 rounds sucks. Playoffs is better when matching up teams from other district that don’t play each other a lot
[-] The following 1 user Likes F-N 1980's post:
  • HCS