Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 49 Sayre 13
I haven't kept up with Pike Central or Shelby Valley at all this season but I figured Shelby Valley would beat Sayre but maybe the Spartans would beat them both. Shelby Valley has had a decent program the past few years or atleast they did a few years ago. There's no reason that both Shelby Valley and Pike Central shouldn't have much better programs than they do, maybe someday they will get there. For years Shelby Valley didn't realize there were other sports besides basketball but I think they finally realized there are other sports they can be competitive in. I'm not sure what Pike Central and East Ridge problem is, they have never excelled in any sport.
(11-24-2020, 12:24 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: The tuition costs at Sayre will always hold that program back. As long as Pikeville, Paintsville, Raceland, Williamsburg, etc are in 1A, Sayre is going to have a rough time being competitive.

Schools like Pikeville are very attractive to kids outside their district because they invest into their schools athletic and academic departments as good as anyone in the state. Belfry was always attractive to the Mingo County, WV area because they invested in their football program and when the new high school got built it helped even more. Now that Mingo Central is up and going kids that may have crossed the Tug back in the day will probably stay in WV. Same can be said in Floyd County, now that facilities have improved and keep improving.

Newer, nicer, better is always attractive.

Sayre can, will and does offer financial aid like every other private school that is competitive in 1a.  No different than my UHA blazers in every sport, including basketball.  It's not a scholarship and is based on "need".  The KHSAA enforces this rule more strictly than any other rule on the books.  (They actually enforce this one).

Sayre offers the best education in Lexington and for those kids who's family is grounded enough to realize that they can use the elite athleticism to get an amazing education, they'll find their way to Sayre.  It's happened for years at UHA.  The reality is, now that Sayre is doing this, those kids who want that opportunity will find their way there.  It wont' be for everybody, just like UHA isn't for everybody, but for those who are committed it's a wonderful opportunity and is a great springboard into college readiness.
[-] The following 2 users Like Go Blazers Go's post:
  • BlackcatAlum, Spud6
(11-24-2020, 06:25 PM)PHSFAN Wrote: I haven't kept up with Pike Central or Shelby Valley at all this season but I figured Shelby Valley would beat Sayre but maybe the Spartans would beat them both.  Shelby Valley has had a decent program the past few years or atleast they did a few years ago. There's no reason that both Shelby Valley and Pike Central shouldn't have much better programs than they do, maybe someday they will get there.  For years Shelby Valley didn't realize there were other sports besides basketball but I think they finally realized there are other sports they can be competitive in.  I'm not sure what Pike Central and East Ridge problem is, they have never excelled in any sport.
I think Shelby Valley and Pike Central have decent programs. They aren't on the same level as Belfry or Pikeville, but both programs have improved over the last decade. I think SV has a decent shot at making some noise in 2A when Osborne is a junior and senior, if he can stay healthy.