Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Coaching Changes!!
?
(12-09-2020, 12:06 PM)Granny Bear Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 09:42 PM)BobcatForever Wrote: Someone called me little bit ago and ask me did i think Coach Hilton was done i don't know

I hear this every year, but I heard it this year from a reliable source.  So I asked a parent of one of the players who is a good friend of mine, and she didn't know either.  I wouldn't be surprised either way.

I am hearing the same thing.
(12-09-2020, 07:12 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 11:44 AM)Oleballcoach Wrote: I’ve heard noise about Prestonsburg going after a new head coach. My personal opinion I believe the job openings this off season will be coaches wanting to leave verse being fired. I think this is a freebie for coaches on the hot seat because of everything that went on with Covid.

Noise is likely coming from those who aren’t looking at things correctly either or they’re out of touch.

Hard to win and compete considering the hit Prestonsburg football took before Brewer was ever hired. Basically an entire football team transferred out and is now more than likely the favorite to win state this season in class A. No fault to those families that moved their kids, they done what they thought was best and it’s been paying off.

Prestonsburg lost support from life long Blackcat supporters that now have fully backed another school and town. Some have moved there and even started businesses there as well.

Folks need to be patient.
Why do you continually refer to players that left at the halfway point of 8th grade?? LOL ...These players NEVER had intentions of playing at Prestonsburg. The parents went where a championship was more obtainable. 
Brewer came in after the Blackcats won the district, along with the 2A player of the year (Varney), along with several seasoned seniors...the ingredients were there... Varney rarely got to touch the ball. I think the biggest issue with Burg has been the lack of support from the Shags and Bags that blew Brewer up and then disappeared, along with his staff. You can ask any parent and several opposing coaches that know BB personally and they will all agree that he is a good guy, just lacks the work ethics that it is gonna take to build them back up. You can't practice for 1.5 hours 3 days a week and expect to win. Personally, I think the current admin wants to keep him, but the townies want a change. Adjust your coaching to your talent, not your talent to your coaching. This, is where he failed.   Dodgy
(12-08-2020, 06:56 PM)RoShamBo Wrote: Highlands is already searching for their next head coach.
Who built Highlands into the Highlands we've all came to respect & admire?? Idk their entire history, but the late 90’s-mid 2000’s teams were always nasty!! Also what happened to him?!
(12-10-2020, 08:53 AM)Budsqueezer Wrote: Help is coming Blackcat. Just be patient. In 2 or 3 years Prestonsburg will put a team on the field that your very proud of....
2 or 3 years? 

Schedule changes this coming year. Picking up Betsy Lane and Phelps, dropping...who knows?

Most people close with the program have been and are always proud of the fielded teams. Win or Lose. Aside from Covid, this season they should have won 2-3 more games. Some were close, others just bad play calling in clutch moments.
(12-10-2020, 03:12 PM)Bucksweep Wrote: Mark Scenters, the head coach at Garrard County the last several seasons, has accepted the head coaching job at Madison Central.
You might want to look into that again
(12-10-2020, 04:41 PM)The Real Guru2 Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 11:44 AM)Oleballcoach Wrote: I’ve heard noise about Prestonsburg going after a new head coach. My personal opinion I believe the job openings this off season will be coaches wanting to leave verse being fired. I think this is a freebie for coaches on the hot seat because of everything that went on with Covid.

Noise is likely coming from those who aren’t looking at things correctly either or they’re out of touch.

Hard to win and compete considering the hit Prestonsburg football took before Brewer was ever hired. Basically an entire football team transferred out and is now more than likely the favorite to win state this season in class A. No fault to those families that moved their kids, they done what they thought was best and it’s been paying off.

Prestonsburg lost support from life long Blackcat supporters that now have fully backed another school and town. Some have moved there and even started businesses there as well.

Why do you continually refer to players that left at the halfway point of 8th grade?? LOL ...These players NEVER had intentions of playing at Prestonsburg. The parents went where a championship was more obtainable. 
Brewer came in after the Blackcats won the district, along with the 2A player of the year (Varney), along with several seasoned seniors...the ingredients were there... Varney rarely got to touch the ball. I think the biggest issue with Burg has been the lack of support from the Shags and Bags that blew Brewer up and then disappeared, along with his staff. You can ask any parent and several opposing coaches that know BB personally and they will all agree that he is a good guy, just lacks the work ethics that it is gonna take to build them back up. You can't practice for 1.5 hours 3 days a week and expect to win. Personally, I think the current admin wants to keep him, but the townies want a change. Adjust your coaching to your talent, not your talent to your coaching. This, is where he failed.   Dodgy
A lot of that I can’t speak to, because I don’t know. I haven’t been close to the football program in 11 years. However, the moment a lot of the 8th grade team left, it was obviously going to hurt Prestonsburg football going forward. I don’t care who the coach was. I don’t blame anything on any of those families. Like I said previously, they did what they thought was best for their kids. Parents should move their kids to wherever they’ll get the best chance to succeed academically and athletically. I wholeheartedly believe in that.

Also, I haven’t kept referring to that. Must have me mistaken with someone else.
[-] The following 2 users Like BlackcatAlum's post:
  • Red and Black, Westside
(12-10-2020, 08:28 PM)Iam4thecats Wrote:
(12-10-2020, 03:12 PM)Bucksweep Wrote: Mark Scenters, the head coach at Garrard County the last several seasons, has accepted the head coaching job at Madison Central.
https://footballscoop.com/high-school-scoop/

I saw it on this website under the "High School" tab. I caught my eye, but I'll double check my sources.
[quote pid="2294405" dateline="1607689308"]

I saw it on this website under the "High School" tab. I caught my eye, but I'll double check my sources.
[/quote]

This has to be an old post that they just saw and updated on the site. He was let go a few weeks ago from Madison Central. No way Perry took the Madison Central job.
(12-11-2020, 09:21 AM)Bucksweep Wrote:

Yeah, Jerry Perry is the coach at Garrard county. He took that job AFTER Mark Scenters took the Madison Central job. Mark Scenters is the guy who Central just fired. 
HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL: Scenters out after seven seasons at Central
  • Nathan Hutchinson sports@richmondregister.com

• Nov 24, 2020

I thought it was awful fast to try and get rid of Coach Brewer I think he is doing a amazing job.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Oleballcoach's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
Prestonsburg needs to be patient. Can’t rebuild over night. Paintsville was in dire straits 10 years ago. They will be playing on the last Friday for the second straight year. Find the right guy and stay with him. Proud program. They can bounce back.
[-] The following 2 users Like E's Army's post:
  • #GoCougs, BlackcatAlum
If you want to see Prestonsburg return to fielding competitive football teams and making noise in the playoffs then you have to support the program and trust the coaching staff. Brewer is a good guy that knows football and left a good situation at Powell County (his alma mater). Anyone who doesn't believe that, like our friend "the real guru2", either doesn't know what they're talking about or they have some personal vendetta against PHS football or Brewer one.

I also done my research on the claims made by "the real guru2" earlier in this thread. Prestonsburg has never limited practices to 3 days a week and a 1.5 hr at a time. As for returning several seniors for the 2018 season (Brewer's first year) isn't a fact either. In Brewer's first year, Pburg only had 6 seniors and 2 juniors on the roster. Only 3 of those seniors seen significant time in '17. Only 6/8 played in 8 or more games. Prestonsburg did return AA District 8 POY, Ethan Varney, who was a great running back, but he had to run behind a line that was basically a JV line. Still rushed for nearly 1000 yards in 9 games. Still averaged over 100 ypg. 2019, Pburg loses Varney to graduation and only has 4 seniors on the roster. This past season, Pburg has their biggest senior class to date with 8. Most of these guys were in their 3rd year of varsity action and they finished the year at 3-5. Didn't get to play the Martin County game or the Betsy Layne game. The Martin County game was going to be the biggest game of the year for the team and a chance to prove that the program was headed in the right direction, but COVID cancelled both games. Could've finished the year at 5-5 or 4-6 which shows that things are headed in the right direction.

The last claim was about schedule changes. Removing programs like Lawrence and Hazard from the schedule recently was the right move. Pburg has had losing records to those programs since 2000. Makes no sense to keep playing programs out of your district that you were losing to year in and year out. The same reason Belfry was taken off the schedule under coach John. Didn't make sense to schedule those games. Continuing to schedule games against programs in better shape than yours is career suicide. You schedule non-district games against teams you have the chance of beating. Winning is ultimately what matters and Brewer wants to start racking up the wins again and getting the school and community excited about football again.

There's talent coming up for the foreseeable future. Two kids from AMS just competed nationally on the Team KY FBU team. The 5/6 grade team was undefeated and so was the 3/4 grade team. The 7/8 grade team has talent as well, a lot of them just need to be developed.

Patience and support is what they need right now, not people hiding behind screen names posting junk.
[-] The following 6 users Like BlackcatAlum's post:
  • #GoCougs, BlackcatPride32, E's Army, GBrewer, Iam4thecats, Red and Black
Have heard that Mike Holcomb could be taking the Madison Central job.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Strikeout King's post:
  • BobcatForever
Wow... If that's true that's a step back IMO from what they had. Yes I know Coach Holcomb has some rings but that was a long time ago, and he is a lot older now. This can't be a long term thing. How close to 300 wins is Coach Holcomb?
(12-13-2020, 04:58 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: Have heard that Mike Holcomb could be taking the Madison Central job.
Coach Holcomb could be interested in this job. He has shown interest in the past.
(12-12-2020, 10:41 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: If you want to see Prestonsburg return to fielding competitive football teams and making noise in the playoffs then you have to support the program and trust the coaching staff. Brewer is a good guy that knows football and left a good situation at Powell County (his alma mater). Anyone who doesn't believe that, like our friend "the real guru2", either doesn't know what they're talking about or they have some personal vendetta against PHS football or Brewer one.

I also done my research on the claims made by "the real guru2" earlier in this thread. Prestonsburg has never limited practices to 3 days a week and a 1.5 hr at a time. As for returning several seniors for the 2018 season (Brewer's first year) isn't a fact either. In Brewer's first year, Pburg only had 6 seniors and 2 juniors on the roster. Only 3 of those seniors seen significant time in '17. Only 6/8 played in 8 or more games. Prestonsburg did return AA District 8 POY, Ethan Varney, who was a great running back, but he had to run behind a line that was basically a JV line. Still rushed for nearly 1000 yards in 9 games. Still averaged over 100 ypg. 2019, Pburg loses Varney to graduation and only has 4 seniors on the roster. This past season, Pburg has their biggest senior class to date with 8. Most of these guys were in their 3rd year of varsity action and they finished the year at 3-5. Didn't get to play the Martin County game or the Betsy Layne game. The Martin County game was going to be the biggest game of the year for the team and a chance to prove that the program was headed in the right direction, but COVID cancelled both games. Could've finished the year at 5-5 or 4-6 which shows that things are headed in the right direction.

The last claim was about schedule changes. Removing programs like Lawrence and Hazard from the schedule recently was the right move. Pburg has had losing records to those programs since 2000. Makes no sense to keep playing programs out of your district that you were losing to year in and year out. The same reason Belfry was taken off the schedule under coach John. Didn't make sense to schedule those games. Continuing to schedule games against programs in better shape than yours is career suicide. You schedule non-district games against teams you have the chance of beating. Winning is ultimately what matters and Brewer wants to start racking up the wins again and getting the school and community excited about football again.

There's talent coming up for the foreseeable future. Two kids from AMS just competed nationally on the Team KY FBU team. The 5/6 grade team was undefeated and so was the 3/4 grade team. The 7/8 grade team has talent as well, a lot of them just need to be developed.

Patience and support is what they need right now, not people hiding behind screen names posting junk.
To be fair P Burg 5/6 grade and 3/4 may have been undefeated but they only played other Floyd Co teams. The rest of the counties traveled and played each other.
(12-12-2020, 03:11 PM)Oleballcoach Wrote:

I thought it was awful fast to try and get rid of Coach Brewer I think he is doing a amazing job.
Amazing- Please enlighten us...
(12-15-2020, 09:55 AM)Tyler1 Wrote: Wow... If that's true that's a step back IMO from what they had. Yes I know Coach Holcomb has some rings but that was a long time ago, and he is a lot older now. This can't be a long term thing. How close to 300 wins is Coach Holcomb?

Did you really say that out load?  You think to hire a Hall of Fame legend is a "Step back" ?  You think Coach Holcomb has forgot how to win football games because he is older? You ever heard of Phillip Hawood? He is older than Coach Holcomb.  Nick Saban is older than Coach Holcomb and he is still going strong. LOL this is beyond hilarious 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bat Crazy's post:
  • JustThinking
(12-15-2020, 10:30 AM)Blue_Bird96 Wrote: To be fair P Burg 5/6 grade and 3/4 may have been undefeated but they only played other Floyd Co teams. The rest of the counties traveled and played each other.
True, and yet they handled their business convincingly over Betsy Layne and Floyd Central as well. Something Adams/PES have been struggling to do for several years.
(12-15-2020, 03:55 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(12-15-2020, 10:30 AM)Blue_Bird96 Wrote: To be fair P Burg 5/6 grade and 3/4 may have been undefeated but they only played other Floyd Co teams. The rest of the counties traveled and played each other.
True, and yet they handled their business convincingly over Betsy Layne and Floyd Central as well. Something Adams/PES have been struggling to do for several years.
The talent is there for sure. I do look for P Burg to be back in the thick of things before long.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blue_Bird96's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
(12-15-2020, 10:30 AM)Blue_Bird96 Wrote:
(12-12-2020, 10:41 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: If you want to see Prestonsburg return to fielding competitive football teams and making noise in the playoffs then you have to support the program and trust the coaching staff. Brewer is a good guy that knows football and left a good situation at Powell County (his alma mater). Anyone who doesn't believe that, like our friend "the real guru2", either doesn't know what they're talking about or they have some personal vendetta against PHS football or Brewer one.

To be fair P Burg 5/6 grade and 3/4 may have been undefeated but they only played other Floyd Co teams. The rest of the counties traveled and played each other.
So the 5/6 team only played 3 games. And best Betsy Layne once. Floyd Central twice.

The 3/4 team was 2-0 and beat floyd central twice. They didn’t play Betsy Layne.

also this year is a covid year, a lot of kids didn’t play. I wouldn’t say they are a powerhouse. They do have some nice athletes.
(12-15-2020, 09:55 AM)Tyler1 Wrote: Wow... If that's true that's a step back IMO from what they had. Yes I know Coach Holcomb has some rings but that was a long time ago, and he is a lot older now. This can't be a long term thing. How close to 300 wins is Coach Holcomb?
Don't know what you smoking but it's put you out in left field. 42 game winning streak 2 State Championships a step back. What a joke.

Would be 3 State Championships for Coach Holcomb.
[-] The following 2 users Like JustThinking's post:
  • Bat Crazy, Bull got out!
(12-15-2020, 03:55 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
Fake News!!!
they didn’t play 3/4 team for the Mighty Bobcats
(12-16-2020, 06:24 PM)Bigbluecat Wrote:
(12-15-2020, 10:30 AM)Blue_Bird96 Wrote:

So the 5/6 team only played 3 games. And best Betsy Layne once. Floyd Central twice.

The 3/4 team was 2-0 and beat floyd central twice. They didn’t play Betsy Layne.

also this year is a covid year, a lot of kids didn’t play. I wouldn’t say they are a powerhouse. They do have some nice athletes.
Who said they were a powerhouse? Both teams handled their business. That's all you can ask.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackcatAlum's post:
  • GBrewer
I’m just saying they didn’t convincingly win, like was said in 5/6.

And they didn’t even play 3/4.
(12-17-2020, 01:46 AM)Bigbluecat Wrote: I’m just saying they didn’t convincingly win, like was said in 5/6.

AMS 5/6 grade team beat Betsy Layne 26-0. Outscored Floyd Central in two games 46-6.

I don't know what more to say on the subject. Blame it on COVID, but AMS/PES had kids that didn't play that played in years past too.
LexCath is looking for a new OC. Coach reached out to the kids earlier this afternoon.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Iggyfan's post:
  • BobcatForever
(12-17-2020, 04:00 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote:
(12-17-2020, 01:46 AM)Bigbluecat Wrote: I’m just saying they didn’t convincingly win, like was said in 5/6.

AMS 5/6 grade team beat Betsy Layne 26-0. Outscored Floyd Central in two games 46-6.

I don't know what more to say on the subject. Blame it on COVID, but AMS/PES had kids that didn't play that played in years past too.

A team lost to Betsy Layne 
B team beat Betsy Layne 
C team never played because of COVID. 

There we go. We got settled
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Brewer needs to stay at Pburg. I consider next year to be to his first true test considering how much talent had bled out of the feeder program to other schools his first year. Next year there will be no kids (that I'm aware of) that played in the feeder program that went to a different HS. Now, that being said, if he has a losing record the next 2 or 3 years then we should probably entertain this conversation. They seem to be improving every year that he's been there, so we will see. Personally, I have faith in his character and his coaching ability, so I think everything will pan out just fine for the ole burg.