Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Bands or Songs That You Overlooked and "Discovered" Years Later
(01-29-2021, 07:19 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: You and I are almost always on the same page, but I just have never, ever been able to warm up to Toto’s music.  I do really like Steve Lukather as a guitarist, he really shreds it on a lot of those all-star gatherings you often see on AXS TV.

As for the Doobies, I liked them quite a bit when Tom Johnston was the lead singer, less so after Michael McDonald joined. There’s no doubt he’s an excellent singer, but to me he’s more of a pop singer, thought the Doobies became a little too soft after he came onboard.
Exactly, Tom Johnston is the Doobies and not MM!!!! No one should confuse the two.
"Beer near me, beer near..."

This is Tom Johnston Doobies

Even when mellow, Doobies were the best with Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston

Tom Johnston Doobies
OMG just saw this out in the country goodnight
3 dog night

Great examples on the Doobies. For a contrast, listen to a song like "It Keeps You Running" by the Doobies, with MM on the vocals and a keyboard leading the music, and then ask yourself 'What the hell happened to these guys"?
JP, you made my weekend bringing up Cinderella, I played all four of their albums (that's all they put out) all the way through last weekend. A great band. Here's another one I loved that is criminally overlooked I think. I'm speaking of the great Scottish band, Nazareth. Most everyone knows "Love Hurts" and most probably know "Hair of the Dog" (don't go messing with a son of a b----, that's what most remember about it.) But they had a ton of great music, I can't post any videos because I'm typing this in at work, but listen to "Razzamanazz", or "Miss Misery", or "Whiskey Drinking Woman", or "Changing Times", or "Broken Down Angel" (which sounds like a good county song) or a dozen more. Really, really good band.
Peter Gabriel
Glen Campbell
Alan Jackson
Merle Haggard
Allman Brothers Band
Another at least somewhat overlooked band for me is Cheap Trick. Rick Nielsen is a really good guitar player, but I think their secret sauce is that Robin Zander is one of the best, and most underrated, lead singers in all of rock and roll. A rock solid group.
(02-05-2021, 12:40 PM)The Outsider Wrote: Peter Gabriel
Glen Campbell
Alan Jackson
Merle Haggard
Allman Brothers Band

One of the biggest all-around talents in history, imo. He could do it all- great voice, great guitar, funny, TV magic ... Glen was a special talent.