Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kentuckys new offensive line coach
Eric Wolford has been named offensive line coach @Kentucky
Previously at South Carolina.
What’s the backstory? Is he good or not?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(12-18-2020, 11:23 PM)Spud6 Wrote: What’s the backstory? Is he good or not?
I'm actually still looking into it myself, I've not read anything bad but SC records are kinda example. literally just ran across the info. I do know that his latest unit paved a way for Harris who IMO is a darn good back & to make some noise on such a unfortunate crappy gamecock team. I think with the right players and set the dude could do well at UK I guess we will see.

Plus with the loss of almost all of UKs vet o line I see this a good opportunity to set a fresh foundation if he is any good..

Wolford was the head coach at Youngstown State from 2010-2014; Ron Stoops, Mark’s brother, was a defensive assistant on his staff there. He was the run game coordinator and offensive line coach at South Carolina under Steve Spurrier in 2009, and held similar roles at Illinois from 2007-2008.

His time in the NFL showed Wolford how important cross-training offensive linemen within the unit is (he noted an example from his first game, when the 49ers could only activate seven offensive linemen for a meeting with the Minnesota Vikings). Nailing down the center position, and establishing depth there, will be his first point of business when assembling UK’s 2021 offensive line, which is expected to lose four senior starters and could also lose junior Darian Kinnard to the NFL Draft.

Wolford expects extreme buy-in from his unit.