Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Final Rankings 1A
How would you rank the top 10 teams in class 1A?
Pains me to type this, but facts are facts. I’ve said it before when Pikeville won and will say it now:

1). Paintsville
2). Kentucky Country Day
3). Hazard
4). Pikeville
5). Raceland
6). NCC
7). Crittenden County
8). Holy Cross
9). Williamsburg
10). Nicholas County
1. Paintsville
2. Pikeville
3. NCC
4. Raceland
5. KCD
6. Hazard
7. LHC
8. Williamsburg
9. CC
10. Nicholas Co.

3,4&5 would be very competitive games.
[-] The following 2 users Like 2000PHS's post:
  • Josiewales, MountainMamba
I would go with
1A
1. Paintsville
2. Raceland
3. Pikeville
4. Newport Central Catholic
5. KCD
6. Crittenden Co
7. Holy Cross
8. Williamsburg
9. Hazard
10. Nicholas County
1. Paintsville
2. Pikeville
3. Raceland
4. NCC
5. KCD
6. Holy Cross
7. Williamsburg
8. Crittenden
9. Hazard
10. Nicholas
1.Paintsville
2. NCC
3. KCD
4. Pikeville
5. Raceland
6. Crittenden Co.
7. Willamsburg
8. Holy Cross
9. Sayre
10. Hazard
1.Paintsville
2. Raceland
3. Pikeville
4. NCC
5. KCD
6. Holy Cross
7. Williamsburg
8. Crittenden Co
9. Sayre
10. Hazard
(12-22-2020, 09:39 AM)PHSForever Wrote: Pains me to type this, but facts are facts. I’ve said it before when Pikeville won and will say it now:

1). Paintsville
2). Kentucky Country Day
3). Hazard
4). Pikeville
5). Raceland
6). NCC
7). Crittenden County
8). Holy Cross
9). Williamsburg
10). Nicholas County
Can’t believe I left Sayre off. D’oh! And for the record, I honestly want to rank Pikeville higher, but I can’t in good faith rank them above any team that beat them (even though they didn’t play KCD or Paintsville this year).
[-] The following 2 users Like PHSForever's post:
  • Blue_Bird96, PHS DYNASTY
1. Paintsville
2. Pikeville
3. Raceland
4. Newport Central Catholic
5. KCD
6. Crittenden County
7. Holy Cross
8. Hazard
9. Williamsburg
10. Bethlehem

11. Sayre
12. Russellville
13. Campbellsville
14. Nicholas County
15. Bishop Brossart
(12-22-2020, 12:51 PM)PHSForever Wrote:
(12-22-2020, 09:39 AM)PHSForever Wrote: Pains me to type this, but facts are facts. I’ve said it before when Pikeville won and will say it now:

1). Paintsville
2). Kentucky Country Day
3). Hazard
4). Pikeville
5). Raceland
6). NCC
7). Crittenden County
8). Holy Cross
9). Williamsburg
10). Nicholas County
Can’t believe I left Sayre off. D’oh! And for the record, I honestly want to rank Pikeville higher, but I can’t in good faith rank them above any team that beat them (even though they didn’t play KCD or Paintsville this year).
I can totally understand leaving Sayre off the list. Possibly replace Nicholas County with them.
(12-22-2020, 04:05 PM)2000PHS Wrote:
(12-22-2020, 12:51 PM)PHSForever Wrote:

1). Paintsville
2). Kentucky Country Day
3). Hazard
4). Pikeville
5). Raceland
6). NCC
7). Crittenden County
8). Holy Cross
9). Williamsburg
10). Nicholas County
I can totally understand leaving Sayre off the list. Possibly replace Nicholas County with them.
Yeah. Definitely replace Nicholas County with them. Honestly, I’m retrospect, I would bump them potentially in around 8 or 9 and place Williamsburg ahead of them. That would drop Holy Cross lower though, not quite sure (didn’t see them play) if they were better than HC.
I think a lot of you guys snubbed Williamsburg a little bit!! I’m not saying they’re a top 3 team, but I definitely see them as a solid 5th. For the most part they gave everyone they played a hard time & even had a chance to win a few games, but came up just a tad short.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Boomer_Sooner's post:
  • RAMDAD50
(12-27-2020, 02:35 AM)Boomer_Sooner Wrote: I think a lot of you guys snubbed Williamsburg a little bit!! I’m not saying they’re a top 3 team, but I definitely see them as a solid 5th. For the most part they gave everyone they played a hard time & even had a chance to win a few games, but came up just a tad short.
No. They’re right where they should be both based on historical finishes and reality.  No offense, but people will always put them there until they start proving different
(12-27-2020, 11:29 AM)PHSForever Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 02:35 AM)Boomer_Sooner Wrote: I think a lot of you guys snubbed Williamsburg a little bit!! I’m not saying they’re a top 3 team, but I definitely see them as a solid 5th. For the most part they gave everyone they played a hard time & even had a chance to win a few games, but came up just a tad short.
No. They’re right where they should be both based on historical finishes and reality.  No offense, but people will always put them there until they start proving different

Yep they lost to KCD not the powerhouse Hazard (worst Hazard team in a decade) in the playoffs. I don’t think they are top 4 but they are definitely 5-6 range and not 8-10 range. You can say what you want about historical finishes but they beat Hazard I know last time they played them and they are 2-0 in state semi final games against Raceland in the last 7 years. Not a knock on either of those two teams but Williamsburg has had as much success as most anyone over the last decade. Pikeville is the only team I would say is clearly better than them over the last decade and if Pikeville hadn’t won last year that might be debatable.

1. Paintsville
  2. Pikeville
  3. KCD
  4. NCC
  5. Crittenden
  6. Raceland
  7. Lou Holy Cross
  8. Williamsburg
  9. Hazard
  10. Bethlehem
fridaynightfights

Yep they lost to KCD not the powerhouse Hazard (worst Hazard team in a decade) in the playoffs. I don’t think they are top 4 but they are definitely 5-6 range and not 8-10 range. You can say what you want about historical finishes but they beat Hazard I know last time they played them and they are 2-0 in state semi final games against Raceland in the last 7 years. Not a knock on either of those two teams but Williamsburg has had as much success as most anyone over the last decade. Pikeville is the only team I would say is clearly better than them over the last decade and if Pikeville hadn’t won last year that might be debatable.

“if Pikeville hadn’t won last year that might be debatable”? Really? Over the past decade you say? Pikeville is 110-33 I believe since 2010. Williamsburg hasn’t cracked 100 wins. Pikeville has 2 state championships and a state runner up (by 1 point). Williamsburg has a state runner up in a game they lost BY A LOT.  GTFOH with that insanity. Williamsburg is MAYBE the 8th best 1A team over the last decade.
[-] The following 1 user Likes PHSForever's post:
  • Blue_Bird96
(12-27-2020, 06:53 PM)fridaynightfights Wrote:

How dare you speak on God’s chosen and ordained team Pikeville.
(12-27-2020, 11:58 PM)PHSForever Wrote: fridaynightfights

“if Pikeville hadn’t won last year that might be debatable”? Really? Over the past decade you say? Pikeville is 110-33 I believe since 2010. Williamsburg hasn’t cracked 100 wins. Pikeville has 2 state championships and a state runner up (by 1 point). Williamsburg has a state runner up in a game they lost BY A LOT.  GTFOH with that insanity. Williamsburg is MAYBE the 8th best 1A team over the last decade.

Williamsburg has lost 2 state final games one wasn't a good game and the other was a loss in Overtime, at a time when Mayfield was on an absolute tear. They have a third regional title this year. You can argue what you want about 8th best this or that, but name me 7 teams currently in 1A that have been better since 2011 which is the decade mark. I can name three which are Pikeville, Paintsville, and Hazard outside of those three Williamsburg has done as much as anyone and they frankly aren't that far behind Paintsville and Hazard. I'm really perplexed by Pikeville's absolute hate of Williamsburg, hell I'm not even really a Williamsburg person (I do support all the 13th region since that's where I live), but Williamsburg has been a very successful program over the last 10 years.

(12-28-2020, 10:12 AM)FootballFan1999 Wrote:

Makes it easy to understand why people don't like them.
[-] The following 2 users Like fridaynightfights's post:
  • Boomer_Sooner, FootballFan1999
The problem with Williamsburg is who did they beat?

The two best teams they played, LCA and a banged up Somerset, beat them a combined 93-20. 

They lost to a KCD team that was non-competitive in the Finals by 3 TD's.

Their best wins were a Nicholas County team who feasted on an incredibly weak district and schedule and advanced to the 3rd Round by forfeit from a team they lost to in the regular season. They also beat a Leslie County team who dramatically underperformed and finished 2-5.

I think Williamsburg is very fairly ranked in the back half of the 1A Top 10.
[-] The following 1 user Likes EKUAlum05's post:
  • PHSForever
(12-28-2020, 01:39 PM)fridaynightfights Wrote:

Williamsburg has lost 2 state final games one wasn't a good game and the other was a loss in Overtime, at a time when Mayfield was on an absolute tear. They have a third regional title this year. You can argue what you want about 8th best this or that, but name me 7 teams currently in 1A that have been better since 2011 which is the decade mark. I can name three which are Pikeville, Paintsville, and Hazard outside of those three Williamsburg has done as much as anyone and they frankly aren't that far behind Paintsville and Hazard. I'm really perplexed by Pikeville's absolute hate of Williamsburg, hell I'm not even really a Williamsburg person (I do support all the 13th region since that's where I live), but Williamsburg has been a very successful program over the last 10 years.

Really don’t care if people like Pikeville or not. But Williamsburg has beat NO ONE. There is no year since 2011 or 2010, whichever you want to reference, in which they even remotely would have challenged Belfry, let alone beat them (which Pikeville has done 3 times in that span). I will gladly acknowledged I forgot about the other state runner up accomplishment. My bad. 

I don’t hate Williamsburg, I just don’t understand the “love” people want to give a team that beats up on Jellico, etc and then fades like a bad strawberry wine in the playoffs every year. Pikeville lost to Hazard, absolutely no excuse. But I can guarantee you, if Williamsburg played THAT Hazard team, they would have lost by 2 scores minimum. Again, not hating Williamsburg so much as perplexed why people should rate them higher because they win against bad teams year after year and then fold like a cheap suit when they play a real team. Give me a reason WHY they should be ranked higher.
  • Blue_Bird96
(12-28-2020, 01:39 PM)fridaynightfights Wrote:

Oh, and for the record, Pikeville, Paintsville, Raceland, Hazard, Beechwood (1A most of this decade), just off the top of my head, have all been leaps and bounds better than Williamsburg during that time span. At a minimum, the very BEST Williamsburg could even enter the top 10 would be at #6. Maybe. But this list on this thread is based on this year, not historical. We’ve gotten off track.
  • Blue_Bird96
Sayre def a top 5 team. I can see them coming back with a bit of a tougher schedule and making a good run.
Where was Pikeville from 2010 to 2014. Williamsburg only lost to the state champ each of those years. Williamsburg's best team in '14 would have had a running clock on all the teams this year. Williamsburg 2013 group was good lost to Hazard in OT. If we want to go back a little further Williamsburg play LCA within a few scores in '08 or '09 I believe they also won the state title that year as well.

I had to do some research but give the orange bees some credit.
Not sure how this went from current rankings of 1A teams to how a team used to be good 10 years ago?
(01-07-2021, 03:19 PM)Blue_Bird96 Wrote: Not sure how this went from current rankings of 1A teams to how a team used to be good 10 years ago?

Somebody's feelings got hurt because Williamsburg was ranked too low in a couple of preseason rankings.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[-] The following 2 users Like Jarons's post:
  • Blue_Bird96, PHSForever
(01-07-2021, 12:57 AM)mr.fundamental Wrote: Where was Pikeville from 2010 to 2014. Williamsburg only lost to the state champ each of those years. Williamsburg's best team in '14 would have had a running clock on all the teams this year. Williamsburg 2013 group was good lost to Hazard in OT. If we want to go back a little further Williamsburg play LCA within a few scores in '08 or '09 I believe they also won the state title that year as well.

I had to do some research but give the orange bees some credit.
Oh they’ve had a few good years. Absolutely credit them for that. Think about what you posted though. Even with that rough 4 years, Pikeville STILL won more games in the decade, went to state more often, etc etc. Pikeville’s 2014 team vs Williamsburg would have been a great game. Paintsville absolutely took it to Pikeville and deserved the win that year. Would have loved to have had a healthy Cody Estep in that game though. Would have been better (not saying we would have won). But I guarantee you that 2014 team of Wburg would NOT have running clocked Pikeville or Paintsville that year (Most likely would have still won, but I would have loved to see the game). Paintsville got healthy at the perfect time and lost 32-21 to Raceland, a team that had beat them like 32-0 just a couple weeks before. That was the year I saw the East begin to rise again as a power after several years of Beechwood/Mayfield total dominance.
  • Blue_Bird96