Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Final 2A Rankings
How would you rank the top 10 teams in 2A?
1. Beechwood
2. LCA
3. Somerset
4. West Carter
5. Danville
6. Murray
7. Mayfield
8. Caldwell County
9. Metcalfe County
10. Breathitt County
1. Beechwood
2. LCA
3. West Carter
4. Somerset
5. Murray
6. Mayfield
7. Danville
8. Caldwell County
9. Breathitt County
10. Metcalfe County
1. Beechwood
2. LCA
3. Somerset
4. West Carter
5. Murray
6. Mayfield
7. Danville
8. Caldwell County
9. Owensboro Catholic
10. Hancock County

11. Lloyd Memorial
12. Metcalfe County
13. Shelby Valley
14. Walton-Verona
15. Breathitt County
A few games I would’ve really liked to have seen in 2A this year.

1. West Carter vs LCA
2. Beechwood vs Somerset
3. Shelby Valley vs Breathitt County
(12-22-2020, 05:12 PM)WestCarterComet Wrote: A few games I would’ve really liked to have seen in 2A this year.

1. West Carter vs LCA
2. Beechwood vs Somerset

Beechwood vs Somerset was one of the games lost in the early season Covid delay. I think this one would’ve been a great game to watch.
[-] The following 1 user Likes CowboyDad's post:
  • WestCarterComet
Which teams in the top ten lose the most from graduation this year? Which teams have the majority of their team or star players returning?
(12-23-2020, 02:28 PM)Cat Daddy Wrote: Which teams in the top ten lose the most from graduation this year? Which teams have the majority of their team or star players returning?
Losing the most is probably Somerset or West Carter if you’re looking at star power. Returning the most star power is definitely LCA.
LCA returning 17 starters - they will be the early favorite to be back at Kroger. After that lose those boys are hungry to get back at it.
Somerset loses a lot of firepower with Sheron, Grundy, and Mikey Garland all graduating. You're talking about three of the best players to ever suit up for Somerset, so there are going to be growing pains. That said, the Sophomore class this year is very good, and they have Gavin Stephens coming back at WR/S, who really shined as the year went along. They will find the athletes, albeit none with the ability of Grundy probably. The big ? is going to be at QB. Josh Gross has the ability to be great, and showed some signs early in the Corbin game when Sheron was sidelined. That said, he also got into his own head after a couple of miscues in that game and when he fell, he fell hard. I think (more like I hope) that the coaches give Gross some time to settle into the QB position next year by going more like 70/30 run to pass. Swearingen does pretty good with personnel on defense so I think they will be fine there, although the departures of Grundy and Gilmore on the outside and Garland and Keith in the middle will leave some holes.

Basically, I would look for Somerset and Danville to basically swap spots next year. I think Danville will have a strong enough team to contend next season. Somerset will be good, but I expect them to be right on the outside looking in at the top teams in 2A next year. 2022 is when we'll see Somerset back as one of the top 2 or 3 teams in 2A.

LCA will be a tough out next year. On paper they look like they should be the prohibitive favorite to win it all. That said, Lebryk and Vernon will be tough to replace. You never know how things are going to shake out until they take the field next year. With everyone on an even playing field next year (assuming that we all get a spring practice and plenty of time to prepare in the Summer) the gap between LCA and everyone could tighten. Mayfield appeared to be the runaway favorite in 2019 returning about as much as LCA does this year from a state runner-up team. Nothing is a given.
[-] The following 2 users Like RoShamBo's post:
  • CowboyDad, PHSFarmersMarket
My Mayfield Cardinals lost 18 starters off the 19 team and we all knew this would be a rough year with only 6 seniors and only 3 that were starters. We end up losing all state LB Jacks Rodgers on the 3rd play of the season then SR RB Galbreth has a ACL strain that kept him out all but 4 games and 2 linemen go down. With all we return back our expectations will finally be very high again. If our young QB Cartwright continues to grow as expected we will be a strong contender to finally make it back.
(12-23-2020, 05:58 PM)RoShamBo Wrote: Somerset loses a lot of firepower with Sheron, Grundy, and Mikey Garland all graduating. You're talking about three of the best players to ever suit up for Somerset, so there are going to be growing pains. That said, the Sophomore class this year is very good, and they have Gavin Stephens coming back at WR/S, who really shined as the year went along. They will find the athletes, albeit none with the ability of Grundy probably. The big ? is going to be at QB. Josh Gross has the ability to be great, and showed some signs early in the Corbin game when Sheron was sidelined. That said, he also got into his own head after a couple of miscues in that game and when he fell, he fell hard. I think (more like I hope) that the coaches give Gross some time to settle into the QB position next year by going more like 70/30 run to pass. Swearingen does pretty good with personnel on defense so I think they will be fine there, although the departures of Grundy and Gilmore on the outside and Garland and Keith in the middle will leave some holes.

Basically, I would look for Somerset and Danville to basically swap spots next year. I think Danville will have a strong enough team to contend next season. Somerset will be good, but I expect them to be right on the outside looking in at the top teams in 2A next year. 2022 is when we'll see Somerset back as one of the top 2 or 3 teams in 2A.

LCA will be a tough out next year. On paper they look like they should be the prohibitive favorite to win it all. That said, Lebryk and Vernon will be tough to replace. You never know how things are going to shake out until they take the field next year. With everyone on an even playing field next year (assuming that we all get a spring practice and plenty of time to prepare in the Summer) the gap between LCA and everyone could tighten. Mayfield appeared to be the runaway favorite in 2019 returning about as much as LCA does this year from a state runner-up team. Nothing is a given.
Not to mention they do lose two of the best lineman carried over from state championship team Simmons and Johnson. Also the Keith kid was one of the best all around player.

LCA should run the board in 2A. Somerset should beat out Danville for 2 spot. Very good young team returns, but not enough to knock the eagles. Somerset will be fine with the backs and receivers, line should be more experienced, defense will be young, but good. QB is the big question mark.
(12-22-2020, 05:12 PM)WestCarterComet Wrote: A few games I would’ve really liked to have seen in 2A this year.

1. West Carter vs LCA
2. Beechwood vs Somerset

Those could have definitely been some good games to watch!! Call me crazy, but I think Shelby Valley & Breathitt Co could have been a real good & fun game to watch!! Not because they’re the best teams in 2A, but because of how well they match up!!
(12-27-2020, 02:31 AM)Boomer_Sooner Wrote:

1. West Carter vs LCA
2. Beechwood vs Somerset

Those could have definitely been some good games to watch!! Call me crazy, but I think Shelby Valley & Breathitt Co could have been a real good & fun game to watch!! Not because they’re the best teams in 2A, but because of how well they match up!!
Shelby Valley and Breathitt both have very similar strengths. They both also dislike playing defense. Would’ve seen about 70-80 total points scored if those two met up.
I hope LCA pulls through next year and wins it all bringing a championship back to Lexington. I have a lot of confidence they will do so after that tough loss.