Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Final 3A Rankings
How would you rank the top 10 teams in class 3A?
1. Ashland
2. Belfry
3. Russell
4. ETown
5. CAL
6. Desales
7. Glasgow
8. Mercer County
9. Bardstown
10. Union County
1 Ashland
2 Belfry
3 E-Town
4 CAL
5 Russell
That’s my 5
1. Ashland
2. Belfry
3. Etown
4. Russell
5. CAL
6. DeSales
7. Mercer County
8. Glasgow
9. Bardstown
10. Taylor County

11. Union County
12. Lawrence County
13. Bell County
14. Rockcastle County
15. Tilghman
1. Ashland
2. Belfry
3. Russell
4. Etown
5. CAL
6. Desales
7. Mercer
8.Bell Co
9. Glasgow
10. Bardstown

11. Taylor Co
12. Rockcastle Co
13. Union co
14. Lawrence Co
15. Tilghman
1. Ashland
2. Belfry

3-5 Russell, Etown, CAL in an order you want

6-15 you could list about a dozen teams in any order and it would likely be justifiable.
(12-22-2020, 03:12 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: 1. Ashland
2. Belfry
3. Etown
4. Russell
5. CAL
6. DeSales
7. Mercer County
8. Glasgow
9. Bardstown
10. Taylor County

11. Union County
12. Lawrence County
13. Bell County
14. Rockcastle County
15.  Tilghman
This ^ is pretty dang close. Next year 3A will be wide open in my opinion. I’m excited for Lawrence County’s season next year. Lawrence only loses one kid who seen meaningful minutes in the last W against Pike Central. We bring back our top 5 scorers and all but one of our top 5 defensive guys. Should be a fun season in Louisa next fall.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fewfirstchoice's post:
  • #55PirateFan
(12-22-2020, 05:04 PM)fewfirstchoice Wrote:
(12-22-2020, 03:12 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: 1. Ashland
2. Belfry
3. Etown
4. Russell
5. CAL
6. DeSales
7. Mercer County
8. Glasgow
9. Bardstown
10. Taylor County

11. Union County
12. Lawrence County
13. Bell County
14. Rockcastle County
15.  Tilghman
This ^ is pretty dang close. Next year 3A will be wide open in my opinion. I’m excited for Lawrence County’s season next year. Lawrence only loses one kid who seen meaningful minutes in the last W against Pike Central. We bring back our top 5 scorers and all but one of our top 5 defensive guys. Should be a fun season in Louisa next fall.
Man I hope so. Eastern Kentucky football is so much better when the Lawrence County Bulldogs are playing good. Good luck to the Dawgs next season, this ol boy will be cheering for you (I always do).
@#55PirateFan I completely agree!!
The mountains benefit when Lawrence Co is competitive. I remember the late 90’s-very early 2000’s when I was in middle school watching them & what I remember above anything else is how physical their football teams were during that time!! I played them in a scrimmage in 02 & not much had changed!! They were looking to knock your guts out on every play!! Lol.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Boomer_Sooner's post:
  • #55PirateFan
(12-22-2020, 11:48 AM)WestCarterComet Wrote: 1. Ashland
2. Belfry
3. Russell
4. ETown
5. CAL
6. Desales
7. Glasgow
8. Mercer County
9. Bardstown
10. Union County

I agree with this except I'd put The Fully healthy Russell team that Ashland played in the 2nd round ahead of Belfry.
(12-28-2020, 05:27 PM)GOREDDEVILS Wrote:
2. Belfry
3. Russell
4. ETown
5. CAL
6. Desales
7. Glasgow
8. Mercer County
9. Bardstown
10. Union County

I agree with this except I'd put The  Fully healthy Russell team that Ashland played in the 2nd round ahead of Belfry.
I can see that. Russell certainly played Ashland better in the district championship than Belfry did in the semifinals.
So Mercer is well below CAL and Desales but won the district?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hatz's post:
  • BEChargers
(12-28-2020, 09:10 PM)WestCarterComet Wrote:
2. Belfry
3. Russell
4. ETown
5. CAL
6. Desales
7. Glasgow
8. Mercer County
9. Bardstown
10. Union County

I agree with this except I'd put The  Fully healthy Russell team that Ashland played in the 2nd round ahead of Belfry.
I can see that. Russell certainly played Ashland better in the district championship than Belfry did in the semifinals.
To be fair though, hard to argue "played them better" when one game was a 10-3 score and the other was 10-7.

Additionally, Russell had the benefit of having seen them once before from a game planning standpoint and also had the benefit of Ashland maybe not swinging their strongest haymaker since they were playing them on the heels of a 41-7 win earlier in the season.
(12-29-2020, 11:33 AM)EKUAlum05 Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 09:10 PM)WestCarterComet Wrote:
2. Belfry
3. Russell
4. ETown
5. CAL
6. Desales
7. Glasgow
8. Mercer County
9. Bardstown
10. Union County

To be fair though, hard to argue "played them better" when one game was a 10-3 score and the other was 10-7.

Additionally, Russell had the benefit of having seen them once before from a game planning standpoint and also had the benefit of Ashland maybe not swinging their strongest haymaker since they were playing them on the heels of a 41-7 win earlier in the season.

Ashland always swings their strongest haymaker at Russell and not to mention this was the 2nd round of the playoffs. Ashland would beat Russell 63-0 if they could.
I still don't see how in the world Ashland has landed in 3A.  The city of Ashland and county of Boyd has two to three times the population of almost every Mountain 3A team. This seams like a huge advantage out of the gate that can't be controlled on the field. Ashland should be in 4A at the very least. Johnson Central and Johnson County has the biggest school and largest population of any school in the 4A mountains I think yet Ashland and Boyd County are quite a bit bigger then even they are.
(01-16-2021, 12:36 AM)Do-double-gg Wrote: I still don't see how in the world Ashland has landed in 3A.  The city of Ashland and county of Boyd has two to three times the population of almost every Mountain 3A team. This seams like a huge advantage out of the gate that can't be controlled on the field. Ashland should be in 4A at the very least. Johnson Central and Johnson County has the biggest school and largest population of any school in the 4A mountains I think yet Ashland and Boyd County are quite a bit bigger then even they are.
From just a quick look at the KHSAA website Boyd County High School has a total enrollment of 857 with 469 boys. Ashland has a total enrollment of 895 with 448 boys. Johnson Central has a total enrollment of 1048 with 577 boys.   I believe male enrollment over a specified period of time determines your class but I'm not an expert here.  Assuming the numbers are correct neither Boyd County or Ashland are as large as Johnson Central.  AK Steel closing and Marathon moving their headquarters to northern Kentucky had quite an impact on Ashland's enrollment.
[-] The following 2 users Like i82much's post:
  • Hatz, T-CATS