Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
OSH's Rock Music Lyrics" Name that Tune " Game
I'm a big lyric guy. I love great song lyrics and I love classic rock music. Here's a a fun little game for fans of classic rock .  I will give some lyrics to a classic song and you try to name the song from the lyric.   If no one gets it after the first lyric, I will add another one as a clue.  When someone gets the song correct, I will add another song  and another and so on...   Please no googling. It's no fun without a challenge.

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes
  When the waves turn the minutes to hours
The searchers all say they'd made Whitefish Bay
If they'd put fifteen more minutes behind her"
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Westside
Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot

I have read three books about The Big Fitz.
(12-26-2020, 10:38 PM)Westside Wrote: Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot

Very impressive, Westside.  I thought it may take one more clue but you nailed it!  I have always been a fan of Gordon. In my opinion, he is one of the great storytellers in music.  I have just always loved the lyric: "Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours."  Brilliant.

Let's try another:

"So I'm sailing for tomorrow , my dreams are a-dyin'
And my love is an anchor tied to you (tied with a silver chain)
I have my ship and all her flags are a-flyin'
She is all that I have left and music is her name "
(12-27-2020, 12:18 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(12-26-2020, 10:38 PM)Westside Wrote: Edmund Fitzgerald by Gordon Lightfoot

Very impressive, Westside.  I thought it may take one more clue but you nailed it!  I have always been a fan of Gordon. In my opinion, he is one of the great storytellers in music.  I have just always loved the lyric: "Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours."  Brilliant.

Let's try another:

"So I'm sailing for tomorrow , my dreams are a-dyin'
And my love is an anchor tied to you (tied with a silver chain)
I have my ship and all her flags are a-flyin'
She is all that I have left and music is her name "

I really like the song by Gord on Lightfoot.  The music is so erie on goes so well with the song. Now this last song you posted, I have no idea.
Another clue:

"So we cheated and we lied and we tested
And we never failed to fail, it was the easiest thing to do
You will survive being bested
Somebody fine will come along, make me forget about loving you
In the _____   _____   "

Another clue:

Think about a constellation ;   one that we can't see from here in Kentucky.
That’s Southern Cross from Crosby, Stills and Nash, one of the great harmonizing bands of all time.
(12-27-2020, 07:02 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: That’s Southern Cross from Crosby, Stills and Nash, one of the great harmonizing bands of all time.

One of the great harmonizing bands indeed. Stephen Stills wrote a dandy in "Southern Cross."  I love that song.  Outstanding job, VH .  Tied 1-1 with Westside. 

Here we go. Song # 3. 

"Masquerading as a man with a reason
My charade is the event of the season
And if I claim to be a wise man, well
It surely means that I don't know
On a stormy sea of moving emotion
Tossed about, I'm like a ship on the ocean
I set a course for winds of fortune
But I hear the voices say ...  "

Another clue: It is one of the most played classic rock tunes on the radio. 
While we are waiting for someone to answer the last one, I thought of another one of my favorites from the mid '70's :
Here's Song #4 :

"Love of two is one
 Here but now they're gone
 Came the last night of sadness
 And it was clear she couldn't go on

Then the door was open and the wind appeared
The candles blew then disappeared
The curtains flew then he appeared...

Saying don't be afraid "
Ohhhhh I just saw this!!! I predict Old School Hound will be my bitch!!! :)

Song #3; Don't Fear the Reaper and I can't remember the band.

Song #4; Carry On My Wayward Son...Kansas

Gordon Lightfoot is one of my favorites! Sundown....
I don't mean to hyjack your thread, but here is one of my all time favorites.... Actually I have a LOT of all time favorites!!!! :)

Sail on silver girl
Sail on by
Your time has come to shine
All your dreams are on their way
See how they shine
Oh, if you need a friend
I'm sailing right behind
That of course is Bridge Over Troubled Water by the incomparable Simon and Garfunkel. Does anyone have a more beautiful voice than Art Garfunkel? He’s the Alison Kraus of the pop world. Don’t Fear the Reaper is Blue Oyster Cult, Granny.

Anyway here is one from me, from one of my favorite artists (hint: male, solo). This isn’t one of his huge hits, but it’s my absolute favorite song by him.

“In the hills of Kentucky, across the Ohio River,”
“The old man kept talking about his life and his times,”
“Fell asleep with his head against the window,”
“Said an honest man’s pillow is his peace of mind.”

No googling. I’ll give it 24 hours then I’ll give the answrer if no one has it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • Granny Bear
(12-28-2020, 02:11 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: Ohhhhh  I just saw this!!!  I predict Old School Hound will be my bitch!!!  Smile

Song #3; Don't Fear the Reaper and I can't remember the band.

Song #4; Carry On My Wayward Son...Kansas

Gordon Lightfoot is one of my favorites!  Sundown....

Love it !!!  You made me laugh out loud !   Granny takes the lead with 2 wins.  I love Mr. Lightfoot as will. My favorite year of music was 1974, the year "Sundown" was released.

(12-28-2020, 02:40 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: That of course is Bridge Over Troubled Water by the incomparable Simon and Garfunkel. Does anyone have a more beautiful voice than Art Garfunkel? He’s the Alison Kraus of the pop world.  Don’t Fear the Reaper is Blue Oyster Cult, Granny.

Anyway here is one from me, from one of my favorite artists (hint: male, solo). This isn’t one of his huge hits, but it’s my absolute favorite song by him.

“In the hills of Kentucky, across the Ohio River,”
“The old man kept talking about his life and his times,”
“Fell asleep with his head against the window,”
“Said an honest man’s pillow is his peace of mind.”

No googling. I’ll give it 24 hours then I’ll give the answrer if no one has it.

VH, is yours  a classic rock or another genre?  The lyrics speak to me but I can't identify it just yet.
  • Granny Bear
^^ Me too....singing spurts in my head. Give me a minute.
Back in 2017, I was on my way to TN to view the Great American Eclipse. Along the way , I had accumulated  a playlist of a number of songs that were, in one way or another, relevant to the solar eclipse that I was to view that day.  This song was one that I listened to that morning on my way to view the GAE:

"Some silicone sister with a manager mister
 told me I go what it takes
She said, ' I'll turn you on sonny to something strong,
play the song with the funky break '
And go-cart Mozart was checkin' out the weather chart 
to see if it was safe outside
And little Early-Pearly came by in his curly-wurly 
and asked me if I needed a ride "

For this one, I will award an extra 1/2  point  if you name the writer of the song  and another  1/2  point if you name the band who reached #1 on the charts with this song early in '77. (can't believe I was only 14 when this song topped the charts)
(12-28-2020, 05:26 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Back in 2017, I was on my way to TN to view the Great American Eclipse. Along the way , I had accumulated  a playlist of a number of songs that were, in one way or another, relevant to the solar eclipse that I was to view that day.  This song was one that I listened to that morning on my way to view the GAE:

She said ' I'll turn you on sonny to something strong,

For this one, I will award an extra 1/2  point  if you name the writer of the song  and another  1/2  point if you name the band who reached #1 on the charts with this song early in '77. (can't believe I was only 14 when this song topped the charts)

Bruce Springsteen wrote it. Manfred Man Earth Band  is the band
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(12-28-2020, 05:30 PM)Jarons Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 05:26 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Back in 2017, I was on my way to TN to view the Great American Eclipse. Along the way , I had accumulated  a playlist of a number of songs that were, in one way or another, relevant to the solar eclipse that I was to view that day.  This song was one that I listened to that morning on my way to view the GAE:

And the name of the song?
(12-28-2020, 05:35 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Blinded By the Light? That's what I always called it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Mine is a classic rocker, as I said this was only a minor hit for him, might hear it a few times a year on classic rock radio. Here’s another snippet.

“I worked my whole life in the steel mills near Gary,”
“And my father before me I helped build this land,”
“Now I’m 77 and with God as my witness,”
“I’ve earned every dollar that passed through my hands.”
As someone who has had a passionate interest in science and space since I was a child and has taught science and math, these lyrics always struck a chord:

"Mars ain't the kind of place to raise your kids
 In fact, it's cold as hell
And there's no one there to raise them if you did
And all this science I don't understand
It's just my job five days a week"
I’m gonna add one more as well. The lyrics should give the song away in a hurry, but can you name who wrote it?

“Walkin’ to the south out of Roanoke,”
“Caught a trucker out of Philly had a nice, long toke,”
“But he’s a headed west from the Cumberland Gap,”
“To Johnson City, Tennessee.”
(12-28-2020, 05:38 PM)Jarons Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 05:35 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Blinded By the Light? That's what I always called it.

Nice job.   All three correct!
I can’t imagine what Bruce was, uh, you know, doing when he wrote the lyrics to Blinded by the Light.
(12-28-2020, 07:45 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: I can’t imagine what Bruce was, uh, you know, doing when he wrote the lyrics to Blinded by the Light.

I can kinda imagine .  LOL   Some of the most bizarre lyrics ever.   Manfred Mann did a killer job with it, though.

(12-28-2020, 06:37 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: I’m gonna add one more as well. The lyrics should give the song away in a hurry, but can you name who wrote it?

The song is an easy one but I'll have to think about the writer. I should know that.
It blew my mind when I first found out who the writer was.
(12-28-2020, 07:45 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: I can’t imagine what Bruce was, uh, you know, doing when he wrote the lyrics to Blinded by the Light.

Blinded by the cocaine???

Smile
(12-28-2020, 06:37 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: I’m gonna add one more as well. The lyrics should give the song away in a hurry, but can you name who wrote it?

Is that Rock Me Mama?
(12-28-2020, 05:59 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: As someone who has had a passionate interest in science and space since I was a child and has taught science and math, these lyrics always struck a chord:

Rocket Man by Elton John
(12-28-2020, 08:43 PM)Granny Bear Wrote:

Is that Rock Me Mama?

Something like that.   Smile     W---n  W---l

VH,

Did Bruce write "Wagon Wheel"  as well ?   We were talking about Bruce's  "Blinded by the Light" earlier. I thought maybe he pinned WW.  Just a guess, though.  If it's not him, don't tell us yet. I want to think on it some more.  There are some lyrics in there that I could see Bruce writing. Again, I'm just guessing.
  • Granny Bear
It isn’t Bruce, but someone just as iconic.
(12-28-2020, 08:46 PM)Granny Bear Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 05:59 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: As someone who has had a passionate interest in science and space since I was a child and has taught science and math, these lyrics always struck a chord:

Rocket Man by Elton John

Nice, granny. You're good at this.  I've seen Elton in concert many times(first time was in '79).  He always gives the fans a great show.

Here's one that I bet granny likes.  It's always been a favorite of mine.  I fell in love with it the first time I heard it. Can you name it?  One bonus point for being able to name the songwriter of  this classic:  

"Showed your photograph
To some old gray-bearded men
Sitting on a bench outside a gen'ral store
They said "yes, she's been here"
But their memory wasn't clear
Was it yesterday?
No, wait, the day before?"