Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
OSH's Rock Music Lyrics" Name that Tune " Game
Granny, you and VH are killing this classic rock boy with these country tunes.  lol    I'm not doing too well on them. Actually, I do love the old classic country. Not so much with the new"country"  of the 2000's . Granny, you spoke of your days of line dancing in Knoxville.  I have a little secret. I used to do a little two-stepping at  little club in Corbin back in the early nineties(there goes my classic rock "man card").  So, just for you two, my next one will be the song I two-stepped to(not very well, either) back in the day. As a classic rock fiend, I'm not proud of it, but we all have out youthful indiscretions, I guess.    Wink

"What do you say when it's over?
I don't know if I should say anything at all
One day we're rollin' in the clover
Next thing, you know, we take the fall ...

I guess, I always knew I couldn't hold you
But I'd never be the one to set you free
Just like some old nursery rhyme your Mama told you
You still believe in some old, 'Meant to be' "

This song had one of the great opening lines to any song(and probably one of the most recognizable of all time). Since that line would likely be a give-a-away, I will use another lyric. Let's journey back to 1971. I can remember us singing this song in our third grade music class(RIP , Mrs Gibson) :

"You know I love the ladies
Love to have my fun
I'm a high life flyer and a rainbow rider
A straight shootin' son-of-a-gun...
I said a straight shootin' son-of-a-gun"
Your second song is Joy to the World by Three Dog Night (not Jeremiah was a Bullfrog which is what most people call it.) On the country thing, I have always considered Copperhead Road a classic rock song, just with a country setting.
Wynona Judd sang the first song...A Better Man? That may not be correct, but Van Hagar was all over Joy To The World!! LOL

Interestingly enough I dated a guy that took me to a country dance in Williamsburg during my Sophomore year. He broke up with me because I beat him drag racing on a dirt track about half way to Pineville on US 92. Gatliff?? Maybe. Anyway, I hurt his feelings when I made the corner that he spun out on!!! Lordy! I hadn't thought about that in years and years and years.
(12-31-2020, 08:45 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: Wynona Judd sang the first song...A Better Man?  That may not be correct, but Van Hagar was all over Joy To The World!!  LOL

Interestingly enough I dated a guy that took me to a country dance in Williamsburg during my Sophomore year.  He broke up with me because I beat him drag racing on a dirt track about half way to Pineville on US 92.  Gatliff??  Maybe.  Anyway, I hurt his feelings when I made the corner that he spun out on!!!  Lordy!  I hadn't thought about that in years and years and years.

Granny, you got the title of my two-steppin' song, but it was the outstanding  Clint Black, not Wynona,  who sang it.

I wanted to thank VH, granny, Westside, Jarons, and anyone else who plays the little music game with me. You guys are really good. I am going to send this next one out to each of you and wish you all a very happy, healthy, safe, and successful 2021.   Goodbye 2020... you were some kinda b!tch and won't be missed!!!

I think you will find this song relevant. It was released in the early eighties by one of my very favorite singer/songwriters of that decade.   Have a blessed New Year!!!

"The beer was empty and our tongues were tired
 And running out of things to say
 She gave a kiss to me as I got out
 And I watched her drive away
 Just for a moment I was back at school
 And felt that old familiar pain
 And as I turned to make my way back home
 The snow turned into rain "
Very appropriate indeed. It’s ‘Same Old Lang Syne’, by Dan Fogelberg, who was sort of a lesser-known, but very good, James Taylor style artist. And let me echo your sentiments, OSH, this has been a most enjoyable thread. Happy New Year to all on here. By the way, it seems like Granny Bear has led a pretty colorful life!!! Hope she isn’t hung over today!!!
I'm not a tee-totler but the simple truth of the matter is, I can't hold my liquor! Even as a teenager, I was ALWAYS the designated driver! LOL So I'm not hung over today.

Actually I'm in quarantine for the SECOND time I have had a first degree exposure. Please take my advice and do NOT trust the short term test results for Covid. The are not reliable!!

Happy New Year guys!!! Let's make 2021 worth going through 2020!!
Oh, and FYI Van Hagar, I am STILL living a colorful life!!!
Back to my favorite year... 1974 .

"Well, the rain exploded with a mighty crash
As we fell into the sun
And the first one said to the second one there
"I hope you're having fun" 
(01-01-2021, 08:56 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: Very appropriate indeed. It’s ‘Same Old Lang Syne’, by Dan Fogelberg, who was sort of a lesser-known, but very good, James Taylor style artist.  And let me echo your sentiments, OSH, this has been a most enjoyable thread. Happy New Year to all on here. By the way, it seems like Granny Bear has led a pretty colorful life!!! Hope she isn’t hung over today!!!

Aww, now THERE is a Paul McCartney song!!!!!
This song was first released about four months before I was born. It hit #1 for its recording artist, her only smash hit. Twelve years  later in 1974 the song again topped the charts, this time an unlikely cover by a band of 1970's  rockers(the '74 version was my favorite version).  Thirteen years later the song reached #3 with another cover.

Everybody's doing a brand-new dance, now
(Come on baby,  ...   )
I know you'll get to like it if you give it a chance now
(Come on baby, ...    )
My little baby sister can do it with me
It's easier than learning your A-B-C's ...

Now that you can do it, let's make a chain, now
(Come on baby, ...   )

A chug-a chug-a motion like a railroad train, now

(Come on baby, ...    )

Do it nice and easy, now, don't lose control
A little bit of rhythm and a lot of soul...   "

(01-02-2021, 01:30 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: Aww, now THERE is a Paul McCartney song!!!!!

Yep, a great one, co-written by Paul and Linda .

Another one from the  '70's :

"He had to have a berth or he couldn't get to sea
I had another look and I had a cup of tea
And butter pie
(A butter pie?)
The butter wouldn't melt, so I put it in a pie 

Hands across the water, water
Heads across the sky
Hands across the water, water
Heads across the sky

Live a little, be a gypsy
Get around (Get around)
Get your feet up off the ground
Live a little, get around... "
LO CO MOTION
(01-02-2021, 07:31 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: LO CO MOTION

Ok, after a little break , let’s come back with a classic.

“If there’s a bustle in your hedgerow, don’t be alarmed now,”
“It’s just a spring clean for the May queen,”
“Yea there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run,”
“There’s still time to change the road you’re on.”
A little Led for the head with "Stairway To Heaven"
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Blue 4 Life's post:
  • Van Hagar
(01-08-2021, 04:33 PM)Big Blue 4 Life Wrote: A little Led for the head with "Stairway To Heaven"

Right on Big Blue. And what the hell do those first two lines even mean?
Here you go VH.   A piece of cake for you...

"Well, I'm standing on a corner
In Winslow, Arizona
And such a fine sight to see
It's a girl, my Lord, in a flatbed Ford
Slowin' down to take a look at me"
Take it Easy from the Eagles, of course. Now let me ask you OSH—what’s your take on the Eagles? I think they are unquestionably a great band, Henley and Frey together were just gold. But I got into a little debate on here over this—I consider the Eagles closer to a country band that occasionally rocks out. It’s one of the big reasons I think Vince Gill has been a perfect fit since joining. Think of so many of their songs—“Lyin’ Eyes”, “Tequila Sunrise,” “Desperado,” “New Kid in Town,” “Take it Easy,” and on and on—those are country songs.
(01-09-2021, 04:58 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Take it Easy from the Eagles, of course. Now let me ask you OSH—what’s your take on the Eagles? I think they are unquestionably a great band, Henley and Frey together were just gold. But I got into a little debate on here over this—I consider the Eagles closer to a country band that occasionally rocks out. It’s one of the big reasons I think Vince Gill has been a perfect fit since joining. Think of so many of their songs—“Lyin’ Eyes”, “Tequila Sunrise,” “Desperado,” “New Kid in Town,” “Take it Easy,” and on and on—those are country songs.

I agree with your take  on that. Always viewed them primarily as a soft rock/country band. Same for POCO, the band that produced a couple of Eagles(Meisner and Timothy B. Schmidt).

How about these harmonies?

^^^
On a rattlesnake speedway in the Utah desert
I pick up my money and head back into town
Driving cross the Waynesboro county line
I got the radio on and I'm just killing time
Working all day in my daddy's garage
Driving all night chasing some mirage
Pretty soon little girl I'm gonna take charge
Wait! It might be! It could be! It is! Look what the cat dragged in! (That's a Poison song, btw). The return of the GOAT! JP, you didn't have to quarantine from a computer keyboard, didn't they tell you that? Anyway, glad you came out to play. And I don't know your lyrics straight off, although it sure sounds like something Springsteen would write.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • jetpilot
The Promised Land

A Springsteen creation!!

Hi JP!!! I've missed you!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • jetpilot
(01-25-2021, 02:31 AM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^

LOVE  "Crazy Love" !   Takes me back to my Junior year in HS.   Great POCO tune.
Back during Katrina, I was watching news coverage one day as the horrible events played out. Watching those poor people as their city, a great city, literally drowned before our eyes. So many people just swept away by rushing waters of Lake Pontchartrain , which had breached the city's levees.

I was reminded of a favorite song from the late '70's. I played the song over and over that day and cried and cried and cried...

"... In the cool Southern rain
There's a full moon in sight
Shining down on the Pontchartrain
And the river she rises
Just like she used to do
She's so full of surprises
She reminds me of you

There's a night bird singing
Right on through till the dawn
And the streets are still ringing
With people carrying on
It's been so long waiting
Just to be here again
Anticipating
All the time I could spend

Oh-ooh-oh, down in New Orleans
And I'm so glad to be back in New Orleans
Please don't wake me, don't shake me
If it's only, if it's only just a dream
'Cause it's the only place that I can face
Make me feel so right
Below that Dixie moon and lovin' you
... "
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • jetpilot
(01-25-2021, 11:24 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: The Promised Land

A Springsteen creation!!

Hi JP!!!  I've missed you!!!
Missed you too, a lot!!! Crazy year, took most of it off during this "pandemic" to do stuff I never could have done otherwise!
(01-25-2021, 11:24 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: The Promised Land

A Springsteen creation!!

Hi JP!!!  I've missed you!!!
You got it!!!

Well there's a dark cloud rising from the desert floor
I packed my bags and I'm heading straight into the storm
Gonna be a twister to blow everything down
That ain't got the faith to stand its ground
Blow away the dreams that tear you apart
Blow away the dreams that break your heart
Blow away the lies that leave you nothing but lost and brokenhearted

The dogs on main street howl
'Cause they understand
If I could take one moment into my hands
Mister, I ain't a boy, no, I'm a man
And I believe in a promised land
(01-25-2021, 08:27 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: Wait! It might be! It could be! It is! Look what the cat dragged in! (That's a Poison song, btw).  The return of the GOAT!  JP, you didn't have to quarantine from a computer keyboard, didn't they tell you that?  Anyway, glad you came out to play.  And I don't know your lyrics straight off, although it sure sounds like something Springsteen would write.
Haha thank you buddy. I'm not GOAT, your musical acumen is right up there with anyone on the planet. Good to be back, looking forward to more of these musical threads.
(01-25-2021, 01:13 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Back during Katrina, I was watching news coverage one day as the horrible events played out. Watching those poor people as their city, a great city, literally drowned before our eyes. So many people just swept away by rushing waters of Lake Pontchartrain , which had breached the city's levees.

I was reminded of a favorite song from the late '70's. I played the song over and over that day and cried and cried and cried...

"... In the cool Southern rain
There's a full moon in sight
Shining down on the Pontchartrain
And the river she rises
Just like she used to do
She's so full of surprises
She reminds me of you

There's a night bird singing
Right on through till the dawn
And the streets are still ringing
With people carrying on
It's been so long waiting
Just to be here again
Anticipating
All the time I could spend

Oh-ooh-oh, down in New Orleans
And I'm so glad to be back in New Orleans
Please don't wake me, don't shake me
If it's only, if it's only just a dream
'Cause it's the only place that I can face
Make me feel so right
Below that Dixie moon and lovin' you
...  "

Don't know that song, but worked in New Orleans during and after Katrina and love the place. Could have bought a house that was flooded to the roof for 100k and fixed it up and would be worth a fortune today. Young and dumb. Worked all over the 9th ward in New Orleans that was demolished. Beautiful city. 
Well
Listen everybody, let me tell you 'bout the rock n' roll
Ohhh, feel that rhythm and it's really gonna thrill your soul
Mmmm, come along with me, to a land of make-believe
She said, "Whamalamabamalama, (redacted)."

She loves that rock'n'roll, and she plays it all night long
Awww, that's all she ever tells me when I call her on the telephone
She says, "Feel that jumpin' beat, and a-get up on your feet."
She says, "Whamalamabamalama, (redacted)"

[Hook]
Oh, let those guitars play
Play for me, play for me