Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2021 Pre Season Rankings
1.) Pikeville    Return most key players
2.) Raceland   Return a lot plus a good young running back 
3.) Paintsville  Lost a lot but still have enough key athletes to be a top 3-4 team in 1a 
4.) KCD          Return most key players 
5.) Williamsburg  Have some key players coming back 
6.) NCC          Loss some key players but a good coaching staff
7.) Crittenden Some key players returning 
8.) Sayre        I think will compete in some bigger games next season 
9.) Holy Cross 
10.) Hazard   Hate to see program fall but can see talent coming back up in a few years

I see Pikeville Raceland, would not count out Paintsville
Williamsburg will be much better next year. Will have almost everyone back but Thomas
1. Pikeville when healthy should be a top 2 team. But as we seen this year depth was an issue.
2 Raceland .The Rams beat Paintsville the first go and took them to OT the second time. Rams return all but 6 guys who played in the second meeting . This team may be the Rams best team since 08 honestly.
3 Paintsville loses a lot but still has the pieces to be a problem.
4-10 honestly until I see someone knock off one of these 3 when they are at full strength it does not matter how you rank 4-10 . The gap is pretty wide from those 3 to the rest of 1a in my opinion.
(12-28-2020, 09:19 AM)E's Army Wrote: Williamsburg will be much better next year. Will have almost everyone back but Thomas
Hearing the transfer Pool may help the burg next year.  People are impressed with Herron and his coaching ability.  No one had them this season playing in semi finals, that was coaching.  The talent wasn’t bad but not what Williamsburg usually has when they make a run. Kids want to play for a coach like that.
(12-28-2020, 07:50 PM)Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 09:19 AM)E's Army Wrote: Williamsburg will be much better next year. Will have almost everyone back but Thomas
Hearing the transfer Pool may help the burg next year.  People are impressed with Herron and his coaching ability.  No one had them this season playing in semi finals, that was coaching.  The talent wasn’t bad but not what Williamsburg usually has when they make a run. Kids want to play for a coach like that.
They played in the semi finals because they played teams more terrible than them, bottom line.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 2000PHS's post:
  • PHSForever
(12-28-2020, 07:52 PM)2000PHS Wrote:
They played in the semi finals because they played teams more terrible than them, bottom line.

Mighty words from a team that lost to a 4-6 team by two possessions.
(12-28-2020, 09:18 PM)FootballFan1999 Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 07:52 PM)2000PHS Wrote:

Mighty words from a team that lost to a 4-6 team by two possessions.
He’s a Paintsville fan. Lol. Williamsburg opponents (Kentucky teams only) that they beat were a combined 14-15. Beat Pineville twice, Lynn Camp, a bad Leslie County team, a perennially pitiful Jellico, TN team, and Nicholas County. Pikeville went 6-3 versus a schedule of opponents that had a 39-36 record combined, losing only to Hazard, Campbell County (6A) and Lex Christian, 2A state runner up. In the process, they beat 6A Henry Clay and 3A Belfry, Hazard once, and Raceland. 

Williamsburg beats Little Sisters of the Poor, Little Sisters of the Blind, Stalk School for Polio Survivors, plays Hazard or anyone else within a TD or so, gets curb stomped in the playoffs and then whines when “no one respects them”.
[-] The following 1 user Likes PHSForever's post:
  • Blue_Bird96
“ Special Alert in 2021 Williamsburg is backed” Marked it down,
[-] The following 1 user Likes 64SUR's post:
  • HighViz
KCD graduates 3 starting linemen, a slew of Tight Ends and Running Backs. They're rebuilding, expect them to take a step back next season. This was suppose to be "the year" for them.
Pikeville loses 5 Seniors in which 2 got any significant playing time aside from Special Teams. They are loaded with talent at every position, return one of the best QBs in the state, A legend for a Coach backed up by one of the best staffs in the State Top to Bottom......all that by itself would garner them a preseason #1 in 1A. Add in the chip on their shoulders the size of a Boulder after Hazard embarrassed them on their home field to end their season.....LOOK OUT!!!
[-] The following 2 users Like HAIL PIKEVILLE!'s post:
  • PHS DYNASTY, PHSForever
Totally agree with Hail Pikeville. Not only does all this talent return with a second to none coaching staff, but a TON of experience ! By the time August rolls around, Carson wright will be making his presence know as well. This kid does so much for the D in his position. Carson is a force on the O as a RB as well, having to set out this season due to an injury he'll be ready !. Add in Brayden Thomas, another stud on D and the offense. Love the way this kid runs the ball ;  Reminds me of former Miami Dolphin FB Larry Csonka. Hard to bring down ! Not to mention Blake Birchfield at RB and Defense. Remember, this kid is the one who stopped the Belfry drive late in the game when Isaac Dixon was about to score. The entire line returns next season with all that experience, size, and strength. They will be ready ! We've all seen what Isaac McNamee can do, and we'll be watching him play on Saturdays at the next level. So yeah. I'd say Pikeville is a solid No. 1 in single A.
[-] The following 1 user Likes PHS DYNASTY's post:
  • Gus McCrae
Spot on by the last two posters. Would like to add the talented wideouts returning with speed and experience to the conversation. Lockhart broke some records this past season and should be even better by next season. Brandon Lowe is another talented player. Young, but full of talent. Just needs more games under his belt. Wade Hensley is another one with great hands and speed. Does a fine job on D as well, and add in Jeb Wilkerson who saw action this season, and Grant Scott, another big body on O and D. All, looking good !
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gus McCrae's post:
  • PHS DYNASTY
^ these posts look soooo familiar to the ones everyone has read for the last year. In all seriousness, I know Pikeville will be very solid next year. Until next year ✌?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Josiewales's post:
  • FootballFan1999
Not a Paintsville fan, and there’s 5-6 kids I pull for from Pikeville. Just hard to root for the team from these fans on here.
All we heard last off season was go ahead and hand Pikeville the trophy. We saw how that played out.

My question.. you beat a team by 36 then lose by 9.. who’s the fault fall on? In my opinion a score difference like that is because of coaching.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FootballFan1999's post:
  • Josiewales
I don’t have a problem with Pikeville at all but shouldn’t Paintsville be pre-season #1 at least until they’re dethroned they’ll be the defending state champs, right?
(12-29-2020, 08:32 PM)FootballFan1999 Wrote: Not a Paintsville fan, and there’s 5-6 kids I pull for from Pikeville. Just hard to root for the team from these fans on here.
All we heard last off season was go ahead and hand Pikeville the trophy. We saw how that played out.

My question.. you beat a team by 36 then lose by 9.. who’s the fault fall on? In my opinion a score difference like that is because of coaching.

Plenty of blame to go around to be honest. It was kindve of a “Perfect Storm” if you will. The players overlooked Hazard. The Coaches didn’t call their best game. The community was already booking trips to Lexington. Problem was, Hazard came in to Pikeville having done nothing but prepare for us for a month. By the time everyone realized this was going to be a fight, it was too late. 

(12-29-2020, 06:50 PM)PHS DYNASTY Wrote: Totally agree with Hail Pikeville. Not only does all this talent return with a second to none coaching staff, but a TON of experience ! By the time August rolls around, Carson wright will be making his presence know as well. This kid does so much for the D in his position. Carson is a force on the O as a RB as well, having to set out this season due to an injury he'll be ready !. Add in Brayden Thomas, another stud on D and the offense. Love the way this kid runs the ball ;  Reminds me of former Miami Dolphin FB Larry Csonka. Hard to bring down ! Not to mention Blake Birchfield at RB and Defense. Remember, this kid is the one who stopped the Belfry drive late in the game when Isaac Dixon was about to score. The entire line returns next season with all that experience, size, and strength. They will be ready ! We've all seen what Isaac McNamee can do, and we'll be watching him play on Saturdays at the next level. So yeah. I'd say Pikeville is a solid No. 1 in single A.
I wouldn’t be looking for Carson until the Playoffs and that’s if all goes well with his surgery and rehab.
(12-29-2020, 08:32 PM)FootballFan1999 Wrote: Not a Paintsville fan, and there’s 5-6 kids I pull for from Pikeville. Just hard to root for the team from these fans on here.

I was referring to 2000PHS. He’s at Tiger fan. To your other question, first game Hazard did not have their starting QB, who played in the second one. Even JetPilot pointed out that was a concern prior to the game. Second, lack of the normal “easier” games numbers that typically allow Pikeville staff to spend time getting younger players ready to step up and provide rest without much drop off. Regardless, at the end of the day, Hazard earned the win. Period. 

For the preseason rankings, just like when Pikeville was defending champs, I agree, Paintsville has to be number 1 until someone in 1A knocks them off. Don’t like it, think Pikeville is better, but I’d be a hypocrite to put anyone else in the 1 spot to begin the season.
A. Paintsville has some holes to full next year on defense. However, I have 100% confidence Paintsville will have a top 3 defensive team in 1A. This staff has proven they can build a strong defense.
B. Raceland will be a very solid team next year. Paintsville/ Raceland games are almost always down to the wire and next year at Paintsville will be a very fun game and atmosphere.
C. Pikeville returns a lot of talent. A lot.

Everyone else has to prove themselves before they get in the conversation, IMO.
So, you’re saying that this Hazard team didn’t prove themselves at the end of the season?
(12-28-2020, 06:18 PM)Ramfan02 Wrote: 1. Pikeville when healthy should be a top 2 team. But as we seen this year depth was an issue.
2 Raceland .The Rams beat Paintsville the first go and took them to OT the second time. Rams return all but 6 guys who played in the second meeting . This team may be the Rams best team since 08 honestly.
4-10 honestly until I see someone knock off one of these 3 when they are at full strength it does not matter how you rank 4-10 . The gap is pretty wide from those 3 to the rest of 1a in my opinion.
I look for Raceland to be solid for the next 2 seasons.  We had a lot of Freshmen and Sophomores step up get some quality playing time in big games this year. 

That 08 team was something really special so I am going to hold off on using that comparison.  I think this team would be more like the team from 07.  We have the pieces to be great but we might still be a year away from getting there.  

The advantage that Raceland has going for them this year is the fact that 1A is very weak compared to other years when Raceland has had teams that could make a run.  Other than Pikeville, there won’t be a team in 1A that I would call elite and for the most part Class A is wide open and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Rams make it to the Semis next season.
Racelands best shot is next year. They graduate the entire o line and all but 1 receiver after next season . Plus most of the secondary. At some point Ram fans have to quit saying they are a year away. We have been a year a way for what 80 years. They have the skill to compete with Pikeville and should play in the title game. Now things like injuries happen but the time is now for them to make a run.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ramfan02's post:
  • Orange Blaze
(12-30-2020, 11:02 AM)Ramfan02 Wrote: Racelands best shot is next year.  They graduate the entire o line and all but 1 receiver after next season . Plus most of the secondary. At some point Ram fans have to quit saying they are a year away.  We have been a year a way for what 80 years. They have the skill to compete with Pikeville and should play in the title game. Now things like injuries happen but the time is now for them to make a run.
Skill wise I think we can compete but the focus on the offseason needs to be getting stronger.  Pikeville manhandled is physically this year and they will likely be even stronger next season.  Put some strength and power with our skill players and I agree that we could be in the title game next season.
(12-30-2020, 01:57 AM)Frogs22 Wrote: So, you’re saying that this Hazard team didn’t prove themselves at the end of the season?
No. They caught lighting in a bottle and upset Pikeville. Then they came to Paintsville and looked like a middle school team.

(12-30-2020, 09:31 AM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 06:18 PM)Ramfan02 Wrote: 1. Pikeville when healthy should be a top 2 team. But as we seen this year depth was an issue.
I look for Raceland to be solid for the next 2 seasons.  We had a lot of Freshmen and Sophomores step up get some quality playing time in big games this year. 

That 08 team was something really special so I am going to hold off on using that comparison.  I think this team would be more like the team from 07.  We have the pieces to be great but we might still be a year away from getting there.  

The advantage that Raceland has going for them this year is the fact that 1A is very weak compared to other years when Raceland has had teams that could make a run.  Other than Pikeville, there won’t be a team in 1A that I would call elite and for the most part Class A is wide open and I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Rams make it to the Semis next season.
I agree with what you are saying, but if anyone thinks that round 2 of the playoffs is going to be anything other than a knock down drag out fight to the end is delusional.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 2000PHS's post:
  • PHSForever
(12-30-2020, 11:31 AM)2000PHS Wrote:
(12-30-2020, 01:57 AM)Frogs22 Wrote: So, you’re saying that this Hazard team didn’t prove themselves at the end of the season?
No. They caught lighting in a bottle and upset Pikeville. Then they came to Paintsville and looked like a middle school team.

I agree with what you are saying, but if anyone thinks that round 2 of the playoffs is going to be anything other than a knock down drag out fight to the end is delusional.
The Tigers will definitely have something to say about how far the Rams go next year.  With what both teams return next season I would give the Rams the slight advantage simply because the Tigers are replacing a lot of key pieces while the Rams return most of theirs.
No

(12-30-2020, 04:30 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:
(12-30-2020, 11:31 AM)2000PHS Wrote:

The Tigers will definitely have something to say about how far the Rams go next year.  With what both teams return next season I would give the Rams the slight advantage simply because the Tigers are replacing a lot of key pieces while the Rams return most of theirs.
Few things are guaranteed in sports but it appears to be a guarantee that it’ll be a competitive football game every time these two teams line up!
Outside of an upset(of course its obviously possible)...the title goes through Raceland, Pikeville, and Paintsville. There are no more "elite" teams in 1A. Pikeville is the closest thing to it, but we nearly had a sub .500 regular season, Raceland team winning the title. 1A is WAY down. With that being said, none of these teams can control that. They play where they are placed. Also with that being said, unless Hazard returns to days of old, NCC finds what they have lost from the mid-late 2000s, or Williamsburg finds another run, these 3 teams will run these next 3 years and it wont likely be close unless they are playing each other.
(12-29-2020, 09:01 PM)TD Hounds Wrote: I don’t have a problem with Pikeville at all but shouldn’t Paintsville be pre-season #1 at least until they’re dethroned they’ll be the defending state champs, right?
I've never understood that logic. What does last season have to do with how good any team is next season?
If you believe that, shouldn't the No. 2 team be No. 2 next year and on down the line.
It's a new season with new rosters...
(12-29-2020, 09:01 PM)TD Hounds Wrote: I don’t have a problem with Pikeville at all but shouldn’t Paintsville be pre-season #1 at least until they’re dethroned they’ll be the defending state champs, right?
It’s a poll for preseason rankings...for next year. Meaning based on what we know of each teams roster for next year. It’s not about last year it’s about next year
(01-01-2021, 01:06 PM)HCS Wrote:
I've never understood that logic. What does last season have to do with how good any team is next season?
If you believe that, shouldn't the No. 2 team be No. 2 next year and on down the line.
It's a new season with new rosters...
There is a reason for the words “defending state champs”. Until they get beat by another 1A team, they should be ranked #1. Projections are dandy, but having those words after your team name means projections start first and foremost with that team. Pikeville lost a TON from 2019 team and still most people (me included) said they should start at 1 until a 1A team beats them, or they just are too obviously over ranked. I’ll stand on that hill, no matter how much it pains me that Paintsville will start #1. Not a hard concept to grasp.
[-] The following 2 users Like PHSForever's post:
  • Blue_Bird96, RAMDAD50
I’ve not had time to look at the teams and what they return yet. But I will have my top 10 shortly.