Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any news on South Laurel head coaching search?
Just wondering if anyone has heard anything.
I have heard the Colonels will be disappointed
Speak for yourselves. I think the Cardinals will be the ones disappointed....
(12-29-2020, 04:20 PM)E's Army Wrote: I have heard the Colonels will be disappointed
Care to elaborate?
There’s some rumblings that the Whitley County coach will take over at South Laurel. Apparently it’s his Alma Mater.

This is only rumor as I don’t have a clue to any of it being truth.
[-] The following 1 user Likes CowboyDad's post:
  • OldColonel
(12-29-2020, 05:48 PM)CowboyDad Wrote: There’s some rumblings that the Whitley County coach will take over at South Laurel. Apparently it’s his Alma Mater.

This is only rumor as I don’t have a clue to any of it being truth.
I was hearing the same thing.  I heard that he was offered the job before Thanksgiving.  If that is the case, he is really doing Whitley County dirty by not letting them know so that they can begin a coaching search.  I hope he isn’t trying to sabotage them because they play in the same district as SL.
Irwin to south, Steve Jewell to Whitley and hand over program to Matt in a couple years. Whitley gets a mentor and someone to rebuild the program and have a young up coming coach in waiting. Win Win for both programs.
(12-29-2020, 06:40 PM)New2Town Wrote: Irwin to south, Steve Jewell to Whitley and hand over program to Matt in a couple years. Whitley gets a mentor and someone to rebuild the program and have a young up coming coach in waiting.  Win Win for both programs.
Is that a rumor or a suggestion?
(12-29-2020, 06:55 PM)OldColonel Wrote:
(12-29-2020, 06:40 PM)New2Town Wrote: Irwin to south, Steve Jewell to Whitley and hand over program to Matt in a couple years. Whitley gets a mentor and someone to rebuild the program and have a young up coming coach in waiting.  Win Win for both programs.
Is that a rumor or a suggestion?

I heard similar story today. Time will tell if first shoe drops at 730.
Irwin's resignation was just announced.

https://www.facebook.com/whitleycountyhi...7827041685
South Laurel is in my front yard. This is a game changer!!
Well first shoe dropped.
Irwin to South is a big upgrade. Hate this for Whitley. Thought he could build something there.
Bet Larkey’s butt hole has puckered, any bets on how long it’ll be before he jets back to the Rock?
Just announced that Jep is back at Laurel county.

not what I’ve heard but who knows with all of the rumors swirling. I’ve heard Jewell was leaving too and another assistant from a quality 5A program is the front runner for the head Whitley job. Time will tell but hopefully whoever it is will keep the program moving in a good direction.
(12-30-2020, 10:58 AM)TD Hounds Wrote: Bet Larkey’s butt hole has puckered, any bets on how long it’ll be before he jets back to the Rock?

Think they’ll run him out if he keeps underachieving. Especially with the group he has there right now.
If all I hear happening in the Tri county football area of North, South, Whitley, Corbin, Williamsburg and Knox will be fun to follow and I have faith the Campers will also join in on the fun.
(12-30-2020, 11:43 AM)FootballFan1999 Wrote:
(12-30-2020, 10:58 AM)TD Hounds Wrote: Bet Larkey’s butt hole has puckered, any bets on how long it’ll be before he jets back to the Rock?

Think they’ll run him out if he keeps underachieving. Especially with the group he has there right now.

Ah that bunch is worse than Tennessee fans it’s always gonna be next year!!!
I don’t get all the love for Jep he’s a career .500 coach with a couple of good seasons, he’s not stayed anywhere long enough to know if he can sustain success at a program. He’s had some good years but he’s also had some bad ones and again he’s never stayed anywhere long enough to know if he can build and sustain a program. Be curious to see where Whitley goes now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fridaynightfights's post:
  • Colonel Fan
Jep won at South. Hard for Saban or Belechek to win at South
(12-30-2020, 03:51 PM)fridaynightfights Wrote: I don’t get all the love for Jep he’s a career .500 coach with a couple of good seasons, he’s not stayed anywhere long enough to know if he can sustain success at a program. He’s had some good years but he’s also had some bad ones and again he’s never stayed anywhere long enough to know if he can build and sustain a program. Be curious to see where Whitley goes now.

Was at a 5A school in Georgia for 9 years where he won a few regional titles and played in a semi state, that in itself is pretty impressive. To come as close as he did to winning a region his first year at Whitley with a team that honestly probably shouldn’t even have been there says a whole lot too. If he can get some of the athletes walking the halls at SL to come out and kids start sticking around instead of going to other programs, in 3 years SL will be a totally different program. Theyre gonna have to spend some money though people have told me the facilities there are atrocious
[-] The following 2 users Like TD Hounds's post:
  • E's Army, Iam4thecats
Does this mean anything for Basketball? I know they have awesome tradition in both boys/girls B Ball. Good Luck Coach.
(12-30-2020, 03:51 PM)fridaynightfights Wrote: I don’t get all the love for Jep he’s a career .500 coach with a couple of good seasons, he’s not stayed anywhere long enough to know if he can sustain success at a program. He’s had some good years but he’s also had some bad ones and again he’s never stayed anywhere long enough to know if he can build and sustain a program. Be curious to see where Whitley goes now.
I couldn’t have said better myself. It’s not hard to win in Georgia when you take over a program that is full of D1 recruits and has been built by a coach that went on to coach college. Once that group was gone he started loosing which brought him back to Kentucky. Whitley was only a stepping stone for him and we all knew that coming in. As for the team last year they did deserve to be there. We had a great group of boys that worked their tails off to prove everyone wrong. But I will tell you right now being on the inside of that team I can tell you once again that was not Jep Irwin. Those wins and that team was thanks to Jodie Mouser and Wayne Mills hints why this season was what it was. I think everyone is going to be surprised to see what kind of Coach that he really is. South may not have gotten the wins they wanted with Burdine but at least he cared about he boys and the program. Good luck South better you then us....
I heard that Mike Garland will be the D Coordinator at South.
(12-30-2020, 08:39 PM)TD Hounds Wrote:

Was at a 5A school in Georgia for 9 years where he won a few regional titles and played in a semi state, that in itself is pretty impressive.  To come as close as he did to winning a region his first year at Whitley with a team that honestly probably shouldn’t even have been there says a whole lot too.  If he can get some of the athletes walking the halls at SL to come out and kids start sticking around instead of going to other programs, in 3 years SL will be a totally different program.  Theyre gonna have to spend some money though people have told me the facilities there are atrocious

Pretty sure he was an assistant for 5 of those 9 years. At least that is what the article I read talking about his stops said.
He left S/L for an OC job in Alabama before going to Lassiter high school in Georgia who hadn’t done much before he got there and that’s going off articles I’ve read. For obvious reasons I have a very high opinion of both Mills and Mouser but Coach Irwin has a resume that speaks for itself. Everyone has an opinion about what’ll happen in the future, I’ve got mine and others are welcome to theirs only time will tell.

https://www.whitley.k12.ky.us/1/News/140...eiBrV.dpbs
[-] The following 1 user Likes TD Hounds's post:
  • Iam4thecats
Which former Hound coach is Whitley going to hire?
I wonder if Wayne Mills would be interested in the Whitley County job with his son going into his senior year at Corbin.
Heard Mills is out because his son went back to Corbin