Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eddie James named Head Coach at Highlands
Franklins head coach heads north.
(01-09-2021, 03:21 PM)FootballFan1999 Wrote: Franklins head coach heads north.

Congrats to Coach James only met him once but he seemed like a very good person and his resume is becoming impressive, apparently someone at Highlands was listening when I said this would be a home run hire...
[-] The following 1 user Likes TD Hounds's post:
  • 64SUR
Great Coach. Wish him well
Congrats to coach James but I feel sorry for the kids he left behind at Franklin county.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jack Lambert's post:
  • BEChargers, Hatz
What a shame this is. Good luck coach.
[-] The following 1 user Likes FCSPY's post:
  • BEChargers
Looking forward to watching the Press conference today at 1. It will be live-streamed via Highlands Film and Broadcasting on YouTube. Exciting stuff.
(01-10-2021, 11:16 AM)Highlands Tradition Wrote: Looking forward to watching the Press conference today at 1. It will be live-streamed via Highlands Film and Broadcasting on YouTube. Exciting stuff.

I never saw it on their YouTube page. You got a link?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(01-10-2021, 05:02 PM)Spud6 Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 11:16 AM)Highlands Tradition Wrote: Looking forward to watching the Press conference today at 1. It will be live-streamed via Highlands Film and Broadcasting on YouTube. Exciting stuff.

I never saw it on their YouTube page. You got a link?
It actually was on the FT Thomas Ind Schools Facebook page. Sorry. It still should be up. What a great Intoduction.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Highlands Tradition's post:
  • Spud6
I am rather shocked at this hire. I know he has had a couple good years but I can't believe a school like Highlands couldn't find a better candidate. This is the state of coaching now. The money sucks and people don't want to relocate anymore. To go from Dale Mueller a few years ago to a guy who has been a head coach for 3 years shows how far Highlands has fallen. I can't believe that a program as storied as Highlands can't find a good alumni to coach. I wish coach james the best but I just don't see it happening. I can't believe he left Franklin Co., his alma mater, for another job. Must be more to this than football.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ghostofjoey's post:
  • sstack
(01-11-2021, 12:53 PM)Ghostofjoey Wrote: I am rather shocked at this hire.  I know he has had a couple good years but I can't believe a school like Highlands couldn't find a better candidate.  This is the state of coaching now.  The money sucks and people don't want to relocate anymore.  To go from Dale Mueller a few years ago to a guy who has been a head coach for 3 years shows how far Highlands has fallen.  I can't believe that a program as storied as Highlands can't find a good alumni to coach.  I wish coach james the best but I just don't see it happening.  I can't believe he left Franklin Co., his alma mater, for another job.  Must be more to this than football.

I thought it was a very good hire.  Anyone that has seen Franklin County go up the last few years knows he has done a great job shaping the talent that was there.  

He's also had successful stints as an Assistant, most notable with Chuck Smith at Boyle County.  

The last time HHS came down to CKY they plucked Tom Duffy from the Ads.  While many there didn't like Tom, (neither did I as a person) he did win 2 titles with them after the Birds had been on a 5 or 6 year hiatus from the Championship.
(01-11-2021, 12:53 PM)Ghostofjoey Wrote: I am rather shocked at this hire.  I know he has had a couple good years but I can't believe a school like Highlands couldn't find a better candidate.  This is the state of coaching now.  The money sucks and people don't want to relocate anymore.  To go from Dale Mueller a few years ago to a guy who has been a head coach for 3 years shows how far Highlands has fallen.  I can't believe that a program as storied as Highlands can't find a good alumni to coach.  I wish coach james the best but I just don't see it happening.  I can't believe he left Franklin Co., his alma mater, for another job.  Must be more to this than football.
I actually heard at one point that there was only three applicants for the job.
(01-11-2021, 03:22 PM)sstack Wrote:
That's what I thought.  There is something wrong when there are only 3 applicants for a job like Highlands.  I'm pretty sure that every decent job like that is in the same situations.  They may have 10 applicants but 7 or 8 of them aren't even acceptable for a HC job.  Nobody wants to relocate for a 7-8K job.  The good old days for coaching is over.  When I played HS football almost every school had a quality head coach.  Even the ones that didn't win much had a solid HC that did the best they could.
Nothing more to the story other than Highlands wanted a good football coach who could ressurect their program and get them back to championship level. Eddie James and his staff built a championship caliber program at Franklin and now he will get the opportunity to do it at a high level. What Franklin has been able to accomplish the last 2 years is remarkable, hopefully they can get the right person in place to sustain that success. Time will tell, best of luck to everyone involved.

Highlands, from what I am told by an inside source, had a very strong search committee that included very successful football alums. Many coaches applied, including alumni of Highlands. I think this is a great hire for Highlands and a great move for Eddie. Coaches have goals and one of the toughest thing to do is leave a program on your own accord to take another job, but in the end they have to think about their career goals and the well being of their family. Sure it sucks for FC but he leaves a program in good standing that can go out and demand a talented HC. It will be interesting to see who fills that void. 

Similar to college these days, successful young coaches are going to hard to keep at mid-level programs. Let's be glad that they aren't leaving to other states who actually pay their coaches well.
(01-11-2021, 05:23 PM)Hogs02 Wrote: Nothing more to the story other than Highlands wanted a good football coach who could ressurect their program and get them back to championship level. Eddie James and his staff built a championship caliber program at Franklin and now he will get the opportunity to do it at a high level. What Franklin has been able to accomplish the last 2 years is remarkable, hopefully they can get the right person in place to sustain that success. Time will tell, best of luck to everyone involved.

2 very important words in this post, which I think will be the key to success for Coach James at Highlands.
[-] The following 1 user Likes plantmanky's post:
  • Hogs02
Justin Haddix wasn’t exactly the splash hire when he came to Corbin from PC, and I’d say he’s shown that he can coach with the best of them. Best I remember he’d only been a HC about 3 years too.
(01-11-2021, 02:13 PM)Hatz Wrote:

I thought it was a very good hire.  Anyone that has seen Franklin County go up the last few years knows he has done a great job shaping the talent that was there.  

He's also had successful stints as an Assistant, most notable with Chuck Smith at Boyle County.  

The last time HHS came down to CKY they plucked Tom Duffy from the Ads.  While many there didn't like Tom, (neither did I as a person) he did win 2 titles with them after the Birds had been on a 5 or 6 year hiatus from the Championship.
This comparison is apples and oranges. Tom Duffy went to Highlands after winning 2 championships at Danville. Eddie James goes to Highlands after 4 seasons as a head coach and 1 regional championship. Highlands is not the job it used to be and after hearing about the lack of professionalism displayed to candidates during the interview process, it is likely due to incompetent school leadership.
(01-11-2021, 12:53 PM)Ghostofjoey Wrote: I am rather shocked at this hire. I know he has had a couple good years but I can't believe a school like Highlands couldn't find a better candidate. This is the state of coaching now. The money sucks and people don't want to relocate anymore. To go from Dale Mueller a few years ago to a guy who has been a head coach for 3 years shows how far Highlands has fallen. I can't believe that a program as storied as Highlands can't find a good alumni to coach. I wish coach james the best but I just don't see it happening. I can't believe he left Franklin Co., his alma mater, for another job. Must be more to this than football.

(01-12-2021, 09:35 AM)jlocke Wrote:
(01-11-2021, 02:13 PM)Hatz Wrote:

This comparison is apples and oranges. Tom Duffy went to Highlands after winning 2 championships at Danville. Eddie James goes to Highlands after 4 seasons as a head coach and 1 regional championship. Highlands is not the job it used to be and after hearing about the lack of professionalism displayed to candidates during the interview process, it is likely due to incompetent school leadership.

Tom Duffy was at Danville a lot longer than James was at Franklin Co. and it wasn’t just a regional championship, he has a state finals runner up trophy, a pass break up away from winning a championship. You maybe right about Highlands but Eddie James can coach.
There is a reason Boyle Co. and Corbin passed on him. He applied for both of those jobs.
(01-12-2021, 12:17 PM)Ghostofjoey Wrote: There is a reason Boyle Co. and Corbin passed on him.  He applied for both of those jobs.

He didn't have an overtime loss to Boyle County in the state championship on his resume when he applied for either of those jobs. Nor did he have two wins over Central in the same season when he applied for those jobs.
(01-12-2021, 01:49 PM)TheOracle Wrote:
(01-12-2021, 12:17 PM)Ghostofjoey Wrote: There is a reason Boyle Co. and Corbin passed on him.  He applied for both of those jobs.

He didn't have an overtime loss to Boyle County in the state championship on his resume when he applied for either of those jobs. Nor did he have two wins over Central in the same season when he applied for those jobs.
Was doing a little research a few minutes ago. Franklin lost to Central in the regular season and beat them in the playoffs this past season. Last season Franklin beat Central in the regular season and lost in the playoffs. Two seasons ago Franklin beak Knox in the regular season by 3 touchdowns and then lost in the playoffs.
Well thats just blatantly incorrect.
[-] The following 1 user Likes LaFlamaBlanca's post:
  • TheOracle

I suppose that is true. At one point there were no applicants. Then one. Then two. Then three. Then four. Then five. Then six. Then seven....
[-] The following 1 user Likes TheOracle's post:
  • LaFlamaBlanca
Well, looks like they can call all those applicants back cause he is going back to Franklin County. Why would anyone hire this clown show anymore? Ft. Thomas Highlands your search committee needs to all quit and be replaced by people who will do the tiniest bit of homework.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ghostofjoey's post:
  • Hatz
Fchs Flyers QB Club

I would like to start out by saying this:
I am staying home. I am not going anywhere. We have unfinished business at Franklin County.
Our program has been built on a vision of trust, love and accountability to one another since day 1. That vision has turned into a family that goes far beyond our young men who are lucky enough to put on a Flyer jersey. The love and feeling of family has become contagious throughout our families, school, and ultimately, our community. As the decision to leave was made, it wore heavy on my family for the reasons above. In the end, what we’ve built means too much to us to just walk away. We’re fully invested in our FCHS family and realize that the impact and work of our family is not done here.
My love for these young men is very real. The love and support of this community is a result of countless hours of blood, sweat, and tears shed by the young men who’ve chosen to be Flyers. Our program has been built through countless hours of work and endless hours of love and support for our vision. It has been built OUR way and on OUR terms and on OUR hard work. We will continue to work at a frantic, tireless pace to make football great for every kid in Franklin County.
In closing, I would like to formally apologize to everyone involved. The initial decision made was for what most people conventionally consider to be their family. As things have unfolded, my family realized that our family includes more than myself, Nikki, Ava and Jax. Our family members also include a Blair, DoDo, Kaden, OG, LeMarques, Taesean, Tyler, Nick, Jaizon and countless others. Our family has and continues to grow and today we are choosing that family. We’re not walking out on them. We will continue to choose them over and over again.
The love and relationships that we’ve built are too much. We’re putting our feet on the ground and going to continue to love these young men and work as hard as we possibly can to impact their lives. So as a community, I ask you to rally ALL your support behind what we are building here. We need ALL of you to do your part. Support our vision - attend events and games, help with fundraisers, and donate your time or money so these young men have the things they need to see our vision through all the way to a State Championship.
There is a quote that says “Happiness is letting go of what you think your life is supposed to look like." And that is exactly what we are doing. We’re letting go and letting God direct our work. We’re here to stay and it’s time to get back to work.
Coach James ‘05
He backed out. Staying at Franklin County. Highlands still open.
Poor Highlands...
Word is that the hiring committee at Corbin wanted him and the good old boys marched on the board office and the Superintendent didn’t back the hiring committee so that the Corbin, Bell, Whitley, Bell, Corbin boy could live out his dream?
(01-12-2021, 07:52 PM)Ogre Wrote:
Word is that the hiring committee at Corbin wanted him and the good old boys marched on the board office and the Superintendent didn’t back the hiring committee so that the Corbin, Bell, Whitley, Bell, Corbin boy could live out his dream?

That's hard to believe.....

NOT !!!!
(01-12-2021, 07:52 PM)Ogre Wrote:

A lot of the hiring committee was made up of the good ole boys, but from what I’ve heard everyone on the hiring committee was very impressed with Coach James. The Corbin boy , who’d been the DC every year Haddix was here but one, and Coach James where the two finalists from what I’ve heard. Like someone said before if coach James had the victories over Central and JC with an OT loss to Boyle Co on his resume back then it could have put him over the top, who knows. Congrats to Franklin on keeping Coach James and good luck...