Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who are Your All-Time Favorite Sports Announcers?
Who are your favorites? Can be college or pro, any sport.

I go back a few decades so some of you younger guys may not be familiar with some of mine. 

I liked Dick Enberg calling most anything. He is on the Mount Rushmore of broadcast legends. Dick also hosted a sports game show called "Sports Challenge" that was a real gem for sports enthusiasts.

I was a big fan of Curt Gowdy calling NFL football back in early 70's. He also had a show called "The American Sportsman" that was enjoyable.

Keith Jackson was fun to listen to calling college football.

Jim McKay hosted "Wide World of Sports,"  a favorite of mine back in the 70's. 

I enjoy AL Michaels calling most anything.  Al was a personal favorite of mine. I wrote him a letter once when he was the Reds' radio guy. When Al wasn't on Reds' radio opening the '74 season, I was so disappointed. However, I soon fell in love with Marty.

Got to include Marty Brennaman and Joe Nuxhall. They were a big part of my summers growing up in the 70's.

Cawood Ledford --- Of course!    Basketball or football, his voice was a staple in my household as a youngster.

More recently, I enjoy Gus Johnson . Maybe he's a bit over the top but I love his passion.  He could call a curling match and make it the most exciting event you heard that day.

Do you guys like any of my favorites ? Who would make your list as your favorite sports broadcasters ever?
John Madden and Pat Summerall was my favorite NFL announcers. The chemistry between them two was incredible.
Al Michaels- I can listen to him announce anything
Joe Buck and Troy Aikman- I know they are not the most popular announcing team, I enjoy listening to them.
Jack Buck- I only heard him at the end of his career, he was always great to listen to.
Dick Enberg- loved listening to him
Keith Jackson- the voice of college football for many years
Gus Johnson and Joel Klatt- great chemistry and both are entertaining. Their call of the Sooner Schooner (sp?) falling a couple of years ago over was epic.
Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit (sp?)- always feels like a big game when they are doing the game
Tony Romo- I couldn't stand him as a player, his color commentary is the best out there right now.
I'm sure there is more I'm leaving out that I cannot think of right now.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
This Lexington Kentucky native is a very versatile and criminally underrated announcer. Here he is in a short NFL pre-game clip with his broadcast partner, Cris Collinsworth:

(01-16-2021, 06:31 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: This Lexington Kentucky native is a very versatile and criminally underrated announcer. Here he is in a short NFL pre-game clip with his broadcast partner, Cris Collinsworth:

Without watching the clip, I'm guessing Tom Hammond. I always thought he was good. Somewhat underrated.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(01-16-2021, 06:33 PM)Jarons Wrote:
(01-16-2021, 06:31 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: This Lexington Kentucky native is a very versatile and criminally underrated announcer. Here he is in a short NFL pre-game clip with his broadcast partner, Cris Collinsworth:

Without watching the clip, I'm guessing Tom Hammond. I always thought he was good. Somewhat underrated.

Yep. Tom Hammond it is. Tom did about 11 Olympics, did horseracing, NFL , and much more.  A guy that can call a perfect triple lutz  in figure skating , a final stretch in the Derby, as well as a slant pass for a TD is pretty darn versatile in my book.  I grew up watching him as the sports anchor on WLEX .
I loved Summerall and Madden and and before that Summerall and Tom Brookshire. I really like Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit, and from the SEC network I love Tom Hart and Jordan Rodgers (Aaron’s brother) on football, I think Aaron is the best analyst working today. But my absolute favorite of all-time is Verne Lundquist. To me, he is SEC football and the Masters, two of my favorite sporting events to watch.
(01-16-2021, 06:51 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: I loved Summerall and Madden and and before that Summerall and Tom Brookshire. I really like Chris Fowler and Kirk Herbstreit, and from the SEC network I love Tom Hart and Jordan Rodgers (Aaron’s brother) on football, I think Aaron is the best analyst working today.  But my absolute favorite of all-time is Verne Lundquist. To me, he is SEC football and the Masters, two of my favorite sporting events to watch.

"By George, the dream is alive."  ---Vern

"Touchdown, Auburn... an answered prayer. " ---  Vern

"Oh my goodness... OH WOW! In your life , have you seen anything like that! "     ---Vern

What I liked about Lundquist was his genuineness. I believe what you heard in a call by Vern was just how he felt at the time, nothing contrived, just genuine emotion. He was clearly a fan of sport and was a pro's pro as a broadcaster. While I like Gus Johnson a lot, I think he relishes being a showman and probably had a list of phrases he wanted to insert into a particular broadcast. Love that laugh by Gus, though.
In my earlier post, of course I meant I think Jordan Rodgers (not Aaron) is the best football analyst going. Aaron is still pretty good at football.

On the UK front, I, like most everybody, loved Cawood. When I was just a young pup you only got one SEC game a week on tv, Saturday afternoon with John Ferguson and Joe ‘String Music’ Dean. UK was in many of those, but so many weeknights were spent glued to the radio listening to Cawood and the Cats, and he was just the best. Afterwards, Ralph Hacker, blah, Tom Leach is very good, just gets a little too screamy for me sometimes, Mike Pratt on basketball so-so and Jeff Piecoro, I think, is just excellent as an analyst on the football broadcasts.