Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
The way we spoke
My mom uses the word hankering a lot. It means that she is craving something. She will say something like "I have a hankering for poke salad. " As mentioned in earlier posts, she uses the word nary quite frequently.
I was around third or fourth grade before I heard curtains. I always heard curtains referred to as drapes.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Something from the "old" days that I missed so much I reinstated it, is the clothes line. There is no fabric softener anywhere on earth that can make bed sheets smell as good as drying them outside. I sill have clothes pins that my mom used.

I never liked Vienna sausage but my dad LOVED them, and he would eat them with crackers and mustard. He also snacked on pickled pigs feet with crackers. Yuk!!!

As far as the outhouse is concerned, I was 13 before we got indoor plumbing. We had running water but no tub or toilet. I took my baths behind the Warm Morning in a #4 wash tub.

Cas Walker is a wonderful memory. LOL I remember when a woman got her purse stolen in his parking lot and he went on TV. He was fighting mad and told whoever it was that he had hired men "to beat the hell out of him" if he ever did it again. He also talked pretty rough to someone who had stolen his coon dog. Said he knew who it was and the dirty SOB had 2 days to return the dog or he'd call his name out on TV. LOL
Like Hoot, my taste for Vienna sausages left me a while ago. And what about potted meat? Surely if you ate Vienna’s, then potted meat was somewhere lurking around too.
(01-23-2021, 04:34 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: Something from the "old" days that I missed so much I reinstated it, is the clothes line.  There is no fabric softener anywhere on earth that can make bed sheets smell as good as drying them outside.  I sill have clothes pins that my mom used.

I never liked Vienna sausage but my dad LOVED them, and he would eat them with crackers and mustard.  He also snacked on pickled pigs feet with crackers.  Yuk!!!

As far as the outhouse is concerned, I was 13 before we got indoor plumbing.  We had running water but no tub or toilet.  I took my baths behind the Warm Morning in a #4 wash tub. 

Cas Walker is a wonderful memory.  LOL  I remember when a woman got her purse stolen in his parking lot and he went on TV.  He was fighting mad and told whoever it was that he had hired men "to beat the hell out of him" if he ever did it again.  He also talked pretty rough to someone who had stolen his coon dog.  Said he knew who it was and the dirty SOB had 2 days to return the dog or he'd call his name out on TV.  LOL
My mom and granny both dried clothes out on the clothes line. We had clothes pins all over the house. I had a favorite game I played with my sis--- see how many clothes pins I could drop in a glass milk bottle. Yes, milk came in bottles. The "milkman" would deliver milk to us in those glass milk bottles and leave them on the porch. 

My mom watched Cas Walker every morning. I would wake up every morning to the sound of that old crusty curmudgeon's voice. His wife had one of those big bouffant hairdos. We got his show out of WBIR in Knoxville.  Cas was a treasure !

Granny,  check out my man, Cas . He didn't like thieves.  LOL

THAT'S IT!! LOL
(01-23-2021, 04:53 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Like Hoot, my taste for Vienna sausages left me a while ago. And what about potted meat? Surely if you ate Vienna’s, then potted meat was somewhere lurking around too.

Damned right it was!!!

Sorry, I confused J Bazzel Mull's wife for Cas Walker's wife in a previous post. My mom watched the Mull's Singing Convention every Sunday morning on WBIR out of Knoxville. Mrs. Mull is who I was referring to earlier with the puffy hairdo.
He looked a lot like Cas. Mulls Singing Convention was on our TV every Sunday while we were getting ready to go to Sunday School and Church. If you knew to watch, you could see Mrs. Mull give J Bazzel a nudge whenever the TV turned on him. He was so blind, he couldn't see the lights.
Oh it was every Sunday in my house too. Preacher Mull, with that voice that sounded like he gargled with gravels, would say to Lady Mull (as he always referred to her) something like, “Who have we got now, Lady Mull.” And Lady Mull, with her Marge Simpson hairdo, would say in her soft voice ‘here’s the Happy Goodman Family with ‘I’ll Fly Away.” Perfect.
One other expression that my grandmother and aunts used when they heard some disturbing news was, and I’m spelling it the way I always heard them say it “Pom-my-word-noner.” As I got older it finally hit me that they were actually saying “Upon my word and honor.” But you sure couldn’t tell that by the way they spoke it. Anybody else ever hear that expression?
Oh Lord yes!!!

Also...Jeet? Interpretation: Did you eat?

LOL
A few more. I still have to catch myself from saying 'shore' for sure, and many times my 'tomorrow' sounds a lot more like 'ta-mar'. And of course 'tired' often sounds like 'tarred' and 'fire' sure sounds more like 'far'. As in, "I was too tarred to walk over and put out the far, I'm shore it'll be burned out by ta-mar anyway."
Anyone else familiar with the Piggly Wiggly ? That's where my mom grocery shopped when we were kids. Mom would say, "Come on kids, I've got to go to the 'Pig' ."
I have a T shirt that I bought on vacation. Piggly Wiggly used to be the only grocery store on Edisto Island, so my entire family got one and we had a picture taken with them. On the back of my shirt, it says "I dig the pig". :)
I know this one's pretty common in our little corner of the world but my grandparents would always say "gimme some sugar" when we were kids. 

I remember in the very first Andy Griffith episode, "The New Housekeeper," Aunt Bee said to little Opie, "COME GIVE ME
A LITTLE SUGAR."

Then Andy said, "GO ON, NOW.
GIVE HER A LITTLE SUGAR.

GIVE HER SOME GOOD. "
Oh definitely on the ‘Gimme Some Sugar.” And if you were in danger of a spanking you were about “to get some tea.” Now I don’t know if it was supposed to be spelled tea like the drink, or if it was just the letter t or what it meant exactly, maybe someone can clear that up.
I've never heard that expression!!! I HAVE hear, I'm gonna stripe your legs with a switch!! And I had to go break my own switch. LOL
(01-31-2021, 08:19 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: I've never heard that expression!!!  I HAVE hear, I'm gonna stripe your legs with a switch!!  And I had to go break my own switch.  LOL
I remember hearing that one many times and I remember fetching my own switch as well.
(01-31-2021, 09:25 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 08:19 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: I've never heard that expression!!!  I HAVE hear, I'm gonna stripe your legs with a switch!!  And I had to go break my own switch.  LOL
I remember hearing that one many times and I remember fetching my own switch as well.

Yeah, a switch was my granny's favorite method of punishment.  She would say "I'm gonna go cut me a switch."  Hoot,  did you ever fetch a switch that was too little to suit mom or granny and she made you go back and get something a bit more menacing?

Along the same lines, did anyone ever hear the phrase I'm gonna "tan your hide"  thrown your way as a kid?   Also, when my granny didn't feel like going out and cutting her a switch, she kept what she called a "razor strap" hung up by the bathroom door on a nail. It was just an old belt that she had cut off to about 16-18 inches. She would say, "if you don't behave, your gonna get the strap."
This is a little off thread, but it is about the way folks speak, and it drives me nuts, so I'll toss it in. I watch "The Bachelor" with my wife (and shhh, she thinks I like it, I watch for the ladies that are on, don't rat me out), but anyway, anytime they are alone having an 'intimate' conversation, the word like comes out of their mouths about every third word. "I'm, like, in this for, like, all the right reasons, and, like, if you give me a rose, I'll be like so happy because then. like, I'll get to be on tv for, like, at least another week!" And it's the men just as much as the women. I think that 20-35 age group can't have a conversation anymore without 'like, like, like' coming out. A fun drinking game for those that are so inclined. Watch an episode and take a swig for every like that's said. You'll be on the floor by 8:30.