Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OSH 's Classic Music Trivia Thread... Play Along !!!
Let's start with a video Daily Double for $1,000 , Alex.

The woman in this classic MTV music video (that I probably saw 1,000 times back in the day) has quite the voice.  I thought she was such a hottie.  Let's see what you know about her.

1.   Who is her sporty hubby?

2.   What well-known band was she invited to join as lead singer(she turned down the invitation)?

Let's make it a triple .

3.    "The Warrior"  was not her biggest charting single. That honor goes to "Sometimes Love Just Ain't Enough, " nominated for  a Grammy in 1992 , and performed as a duet with what legendary male artist ?

No googling ... Smile

That would be Patty Smyth, aka Mrs. John McEnroe. My favorite Scandal song was actually “Goodbye to You”, still love hearing it on the radio from time to time. Her duet was with the great Don Henley, but you’ve got me on what group she was asked to join. I’ve got a guess or two, but I don’t actually know.
(01-21-2021, 02:10 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: That would be Patty Smyth, aka Mrs. John McEnroe.  My favorite Scandal song was actually “Goodbye to You”, still love hearing it on the radio from time to time.  Her duet was with the great Don Henley, but you’ve got me on what group she was asked to join. I’ve got a guess or two, but I don’t actually know.

I love " Gbye 2 U"  as well .  Here ya go.   Supremely cheesy video but, my oh my, does Patty look good here!!!!   Always worth a view every now and then.

Wasn't it Meatloaf who sang" Two out of Three Ain't Bad"? Very well done, VH. As for the one that you didn't answer yet, I'd say take a good look in the mirror and finish what ya started.

It's hard to imagine there never being a Van Hagar , either  here on BGR  or in the annuls of rock music history. But that was almost the case. 

After DLR departed Van Halen , Eddie turned to his good friend Patty Smyth and offered her the gig of fronting the band.  Patty ended up declining the invitation, partly because of the band's proclivity towards alcohol consumption(she didn't drink) and partly because she didn't want to move from here hometown of NYC .  Also, she was eight months pregnant at the time and just felt the timing wasn't right.  However, if I'm not mistaken, she said recently that she regretted turning Eddie down for a long after he asked her to join the band.  

So, that's right, Sammy Hagar was not Eddie's first choice to replace Diamond Dave.  It was Patty Smyth.    I think the guy who they settled on did okay, though, don't you?  Not a bad second fiddle.

Wow, that’s mind blowing! Would have loved to hear what that would have sounded like. Apparently, Eddie had several folks in mind before he settled on Sammy, who I always thought was a perfect fit for a band that had matured some by the 90s. On an episode of Live from Daryl’s House, a great show on AXS TV where Daryl Hall welcomes guests from every imaginable genre to his own club to just jam with his band, Sammy was the guest one week, and Daryl told him a story of how Eddie had reached out to him to be the new singer after Diamond Dave had left. I really like Hall and Oates, but I’m not so sure that would have been a great fit.
Here's another trivia for classic rock fans out there in BGR-land.  Take a look at the picture of the two lovely ladies below. 

[Image: https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-O18u7spk2TI/X...3%2529.jpg]

The beautiful brunette on the right is , in my opinion, the best female rocker voice in history of the world. And I don't think it's even close!  

The band that these gorgeous gals would join in the 70's  was originally formed in Seattle in 1967 under the name The Army ,  later changed to White Heart. 

Question #1 :  When the lady on the right joined White Heart late in 1970 , the band changed its name again, this time  to  
  ________      ________     (sounds like something a "Magic Man" might chant, mama) .  

Question #2 :   In 1984 , the rock legend on the right joined up with Mike Reno of "Loverboy" to do a power ballad called "Almost Paradise,"  a song that was featured on the soundtrack of what motion picture?   ___________

Question #3 :  After the blonde on the left joined her sis in the band in 1974, the band changed its name again to the one that we know and love today and what followed was a string of hits in the 70's and '80's .  One of those hit songs was actually played at the 2008 Republican National Convention, without the permission of the two gals above.  Sarah Palin , the Vice-Presidential dunce(I mean, hopeful) had a nickname that was the same as the one-word title of the song.   Can you name that song?
Question 1 ????
Question 2 Footloose. Watched this movie earlier this week.
Question 3 Barracuda
Ann and Nancy Wilson from Heart. I saw them in concert in Louisville opening up for Def Leppard the last summerI lived in Kentucky. IMO the best band of the night.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(01-21-2021, 10:51 PM)Jarons Wrote: Question 1 ????
Question 2 Footloose. Watched this movie earlier this week.
Question 3 Barracuda
Ann and Nancy Wilson from Heart. I saw them in concert in Louisville opening up for Def Leppard the last summerI lived in Kentucky. IMO the best band of the night.

Good job Jarons.  Ann has the pipes, fo sho  !!!!

Question #1  was pretty hard unless you are a "Heart"  groupie.   When Ann joined the band, the name became Hocus Pocus .   Then in '74 when Nancy came aboard , the band was renamed  "Heart."

Ann is not underrated as a vocalist but Nancy is sure as hell underrated as a guitarist. She is crazy good. 

Ann's voice is simply spellbinding.

Crazy... Crazy on You!!!

Take a look at the picture of the young lady below.    What can I say?  Simply the best voice the universe has ever produced---no one even close!!!  The purest, most pitch perfect instrument of a human voice ever created.  This is the lady that I always wanted to sing me to sleep every night.

She had a personalized license plate that read "KAC3."  Let's see what you know about her.

Question #1 :   She and her brother famously performed for what President at the White House?     

Question #2 :   What musical instrument was she best known for playing?

Question #3  :   She died at only 32 years of age from a heart attack , brought on by physiological stresses to her system from what what disease?  ( She was the first celebrity to bring this disease into the forefront of the public consciousness)

Question  #4 :   The doorbell to her condo chimed to the first six notes of one of her most recognized , and possibly even her signature , tune.    Name that tune .

Question # 5 :    Her cover version of "(They Long to Be) Close to You"   was originally recorded in 1964 by whom?

Question # 6 :    She was very close friends with Olivia Newton-John .  Olivia recorded a single early in her career called        "Please Mr Please."  The lady in the picture below (along with brother)  had her 10th and last gold single with a song entitled       "Please Mr   _____."

[Image: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/image...w&usqp=CAU]