Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15th Region Pre-Season Discussion
You have your top tier teams. 
Lawrence County 
Paintsville
Pikeville 
Johnson Central 

After those 4 you really just don’t know with the lost season last year. I think overall talent 1 thru 9 you have to give it to Paintsville. Lawrence County and Pikeville are right behind them. Johnson Central won’t be the JC of old but never count them out. Paintsville has a few arms but none proven yet. LC has 2 arms that have proven they can get it done on the HS level. Pikeville has one proven stud. Pitching will be JC’s question mark. Offensively Paintsville and LC both will put runs up not sure about Pikeville and JC. 

1)Paintsville 
2)Lawrence County 
3)Pikeville 
4)Johnson Central
5)Belfry 
6)Pike County Central
7)Shelby Valley
8)Magoffin County 
9)Floyd Central
10)Prestonsburg 
11)Betsy Layne 
12)Martin County
13)Phelps 
14)East Ridge
15)Jenkins 

Thoughts?
No discussion? Let’s hear it folks.
I think Paintsville will be the team to beat. However, I think Pikeville will surprise some people. Lakin should anchor down the pitching staff with 2-3 more lefties. They have several talented underclassmen in Hensley, Birchfield, Thompson, Hall and Wright that I have watched play for last several years.
I'm excited to see what Coach Ratliff can do at Prestonsburg in his first year.

Junior IF/P Peyton Burke will almost certainly be the teams premiere player. They'll need a lot from seniors Braydon Slone and Owen Greene as well. Have some nice sophomores and freshman to work with also.

I think they have enough talent to get to the region tourney. Just gotta handle their business against Betsy Layne and Floyd Central.
(01-26-2021, 01:46 AM)fewfirstchoice Wrote: You have your top tier teams. 
Lawrence County 
Paintsville
Pikeville 
Johnson Central 

After those 4 you really just don’t know with the lost season last year. I think overall talent 1 thru 9 you have to give it to Paintsville. Lawrence County and Pikeville are right behind them. Johnson Central won’t be the JC of old but never count them out. Paintsville has a few arms but none proven yet. LC has 2 arms that have proven they can get it done on the HS level. Pikeville has one proven stud. Pitching will be JC’s question mark. Offensively Paintsville and LC both will put runs up not sure about Pikeville and JC. 

1)Paintsville 
2)Lawrence County 
3)Pikeville 
4)Johnson Central
5)Belfry 
6)Pike County Central
7)Shelby Valley
8)Magoffin County 
9)Floyd Central
10)Prestonsburg 
11)Betsy Layne 
12)Martin County
13)Phelps 
14)East Ridge
15)Jenkins 

Thoughts?
It’s Pikeville, Paintsville, JC, Lawrence world the rest of us just get to live in it. Sad but true.
(03-08-2021, 01:07 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I'm excited to see what Coach Ratliff can do at Prestonsburg in his first year.

Junior IF/P Peyton Burke will almost certainly be the teams premiere player. They'll need a lot from seniors Braydon Slone and Owen Greene as well. Have some nice sophomores and freshman to work with also.

I think they have enough talent to get to the region tourney. Just gotta handle their business against Betsy Layne and Floyd Central.
Is Ratliff's son playing for his dad this year or staying at Paintsville? Would be interesting if he's at Paintsville and his dad at Pburg and they had to play each other. Assume he'd want to watch his son play also.
(03-08-2021, 12:20 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 01:07 AM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I'm excited to see what Coach Ratliff can do at Prestonsburg in his first year.

Is Ratliff's son playing for his dad this year or staying at Paintsville? Would be interesting if he's at Paintsville and his dad at Pburg and they had to play each other. Assume he'd want to watch his son play also.
Baron stayed and will play for Paintsville.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fewfirstchoice's post:
  • BlackcatAlum
Think Paintsville has the batting, the pitching and the defense.
(03-09-2021, 06:39 PM)Eagleland Wrote: Think Paintsville has the batting, the pitching and the defense.
Poe and Hyden not playing will hurt but Paintsville still has plenties of individual talent. Paintsville D should be great in the OF and good on the infield. Their offense should be pretty good. 

Lawrence County has the best arm in the region by a good margin but that’s not their only arm. People will be very surprised IMO. LC defense will be great. Their D will be very very good. Catcher, first, 2nd, SS, 3rd, and CF will all have plus defenders. LC sticks will be good. Will they be as good as Paintsvilles? Not sure but they will hit the ball well.
(03-09-2021, 09:28 PM)fewfirstchoice Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 06:39 PM)Eagleland Wrote: Think Paintsville has the batting, the pitching and the defense.
Poe and Hyden not playing will hurt but Paintsville still has plenties of individual talent. Paintsville D should be great in the OF and good on the infield. Their offense should be pretty good. 

Lawrence County has the best arm in the region by a good margin but that’s not their only arm. People will be very surprised IMO. LC defense will be great. Their D will be very very good. Catcher, first, 2nd, SS, 3rd, and CF will all have plus defenders. LC sticks will be good. Will they be as good as Paintsvilles? Not sure but they will hit the ball well.
LC may have the best arm in the region but don't think it's a wide margin. JC has a couple good ones and Lakin from Pikeville is pretty good as well.
(03-09-2021, 10:12 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:

LC may have the best arm in the region but don't think it's a wide margin. JC has a couple good ones and Lakin from Pikeville is pretty good as well.
Lakin is probably the closest to Blevins when he’s healthy. JC has Lemaster who is solid other then him I can’t think of anyone they have close to Blevins. Belfry got a transfer from Mingo Central that’s pretty good. If every pitcher in the region pitches their best game no one is close to Blevins. That’s just a fact. Now these are HS kids and they will have off nights and they will get beat.
(03-09-2021, 10:36 PM)fewfirstchoice Wrote:

Lakin is probably the closest to Blevins when he’s healthy. JC has Lemaster who is solid other then him I can’t think of anyone they have close to Blevins. Belfry got a transfer from Mingo Central that’s pretty good. If every pitcher in the region pitches their best game no one is close to Blevins. That’s just a fact. Now these are HS kids and they will have off nights and they will get beat.
lol
(03-12-2021, 12:06 AM)jetpilot Wrote:

lol
You and everyone else on here can “lol” at the comment if you want. Facts are (it’s been proven, shot in fact Blevins was voted most outstanding pitcher in the whole entire Midland summer organization last summer that includes their 18u club and if you know anything about that organization you know what that means) if Blevins and every other pitcher in 15th pitch their best games Blevins is the best pitcher by a good margin in the 15th. That’s not saying he can’t have a off game and be beat. Their kids they all have off games. But if everyone is at their best Blevins comes out on top. Not saying they’re not other really good pitchers in the 15th because they are. But Blevins is #1 until proven otherwise, Not sure how this is even a argument?
lol
How do you feel Blevins matches up with the recent top pitchers in the region like Kelly from JC, Hamilton at Pikeville, and Sheppard at LC?
(03-12-2021, 12:47 AM)fewfirstchoice Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 09:28 PM)fewfirstchoice Wrote: Poe and Hyden not playing will hurt but Paintsville still has plenties of individual talent. Paintsville D should be great in the OF and good on the infield. Their offense should be pretty good. 

lol
You and everyone else on here can “lol” at the comment if you want. Facts are (it’s been proven, shot in fact Blevins was voted most outstanding pitcher in the whole entire Midland summer organization last summer that includes their 18u club and if you know anything about that organization you know what that means) if Blevins and every other pitcher in 15th pitch their best games Blevins is the best pitcher by a good margin in the 15th. That’s not saying he can’t have a off game and be beat. Their kids they all have off games. But if everyone is at their best Blevins comes out on top. Not saying they’re not other really good pitchers in the 15th because they are. But Blevins is #1 until proven otherwise, Not sure how this is even a argument?
Just curious.....they played thru Covid last summer?  I know a few teams attempted to play some here in Central KY...but not many.
(03-12-2021, 08:20 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:
(03-12-2021, 12:47 AM)fewfirstchoice Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 10:12 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: LC may have the best arm in the region but don't think it's a wide margin. JC has a couple good ones and Lakin from Pikeville is pretty good as well.
lol
Just curious.....they played thru Covid last summer?  I know a few teams attempted to play some here in Central KY...but not many.
Yes, Midland didn’t miss a game last summer. Ohio Elites national squad didn’t miss any time last year either. Many summer team programs operated at almost normal levels last summer.
I don't really know what to expect from this year. I think Paintsville has the best bats in the region but Lawrence probably has the deepest pitching. I think they have to be the two favorites going into the season with everything they return. Pikeville and JC could both beat either of those teams on a given day.

JC loses a ton from the team they would have had last year. It was disappointing to not see that team compete. I had seen a lot of JC teams with premier pitching talent but this was the first year that I thought the bats were some of the best in the state.