Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Clay Clevenger Out At Danville
Danville fires head coach Clay Clevenger. Thoughts?
Hes better off, Danville is not a very well run school district, case in point.
I think they will regret this decision for a long time. The school system just keeps making terrible decision after terrible decision. Whoever takes this job better know what they are getting in to.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BEChargers's post:
  • Hatz
Danville is UT of Kentucky high school football. Think they are still relevant
This is a big loss for Danville. I would be surprised if they get anyone even close to the coaching ability of Coach Clevinger.
One step closer to a merger with Boyle County,  just wait and see.  I'm hearing the district is in terrible financial condition,  and the merger will happen at some point.  The administration wanted to cut the athletic budget and spend money they didn't have on un needed property and building next to the High School.  I agree education should come first, but they are destroying a historical Football Program needlessly.  I went to Danville and pay Danville School taxes.  It is time the citizens of Danville stand up and demand an explanation, other than they wanted to move in another direction.
Danville football will always be relevant!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Footballfan33's post:
  • Hatz
Thad Elmore the new principal is ruining that place. Also, the district staff cares NOTHING about Danville athletics and the long history it has!
is he joining the Whitley County staff? Smile
As of today around 2:45 Clay Clevenger was told by the superintendent and principal that they were not renewing his contract and they wanted to go in a different direction. Clay played for Danville and won I think 1 state title maybe 2. Coached in 2 state games winning 1. He’s coached at the college level at Cumberlands. He coached at Lincoln as OC and the HC and Henderson Co. 

I wish coach the best.  Crazy times in 2020-2021  Woah
What have done for me lately...don't understand this decision. Played in one of the toughest district in the state.
(01-29-2021, 08:11 PM)E's Army Wrote: Danville is UT of Kentucky high school football. Think they are still relevant
So State title in 17 and runner up in 16..hmm...when did UT win anything in past 2 decades. Big Grin Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes UKisN1's post:
  • Hatz
That's a head scratcher. Is there anyway Sam Harp would take the job?
This is obviously revenge by administaration due to Clevenger complaining about the cuts and problems they have at 
Danville imo. Out of curiousity I looked up some history of the principal. Check it out. Controversy has followed him. He was fired at Marion County in what seems to be shady circumstances. Also look at the admin at DHS and district level. It is like most places. They don't really care about kids. They care about what affects them and their big salaries imo. I think the Super made this decision based on the board members. The principal is a puppet and just wants to keep his job for a few years. This coach has not done anything to warrant this. If you are a coach don't ever fall under the belief that you can truly trust an admin. If they feel pressure they will fire you or try to make your situation so miserable that you quit. They might take some time to come up with reasons but they will stick it to you. That is Kentucky high school athletics in a nutshell imo. The reason they won't regret this decision at the admin level is becasue it is likely none of them will be around in 4 years. That is also how it is in the admin carousel job market. If an admin stays around more than 4 to 5 years it is more and more rare. The kids and Danville football will be the only ones that suffer. Whoever is hired will be this admin's boy. He will need to shine very bright because the admin and some board members are banking on it so they don't lose their positions.
[-] The following 2 users Like Future's post:
  • Iam4thecats, SCHS98
Highlands where you at?
I'm still reeling from this awful decision, but what is the hiring shortlist for this job? With the way Clevenger was dismissed I can't think of a lot of people that want to step into this job, especially with cuts made to the program over the last few years and an apparently unsupportive administration.

Alumni of Danville have got to start flexing their muscles in the community at all levels of the school system because the ship is in danger of sinking for good. If stuff doesn't improve in the next five years, a merger with Boyle will have to happen.
Coach Chirico would be an awesome hire IMO!!!!
(01-29-2021, 08:11 PM)E's Army Wrote: Danville is UT of Kentucky high school football. Think they are still relevant

Ridiculous statement.  Back to back state title appearances just 4-5 years ago.
(01-31-2021, 04:54 PM)BEChargers Wrote:

Ridiculous statement.  Back to back state title appearances just 4-5 years ago.
Agreed!! There are tons of programs that have never even been to a single championship game in program history, let alone win 1 of 2 in the last 5.
However while Danville is still historically a top program for now, they must make a great higher to not let it slip away and end up like UT.
Chirico the man for the job
(01-30-2021, 07:20 PM)DanvilleFan Wrote: I'm still reeling from this awful decision, but what is the hiring shortlist for this job?  With the way Clevenger was dismissed I can't think of a lot of people that want to step into this job, especially with cuts made to the program over the last few years and an apparently unsupportive administration.

Alumni of Danville have got to start flexing their muscles in the community at all levels of the school system because the ship is in danger of sinking for good.  If stuff doesn't improve in the next five years, a merger with Boyle will have to happen.

I agree.  Who would want to come into this dumpster fire of a proud program right now?  

The only hope I can see is if the Board stands up to the Super and I think that odds are that isn't happening.  So that means a new board needs to be voted in when the time comes.  

As to merger, fiscally speaking it is past time for that to happen.  Danville doesn't have the tax base in the city to support the school system of 2021 and continue doing so.  Pride is a great thing until it ignores the practicality of what is.
Come to Whitley County Smile
(02-01-2021, 11:09 AM)Hatz Wrote:
(01-30-2021, 07:20 PM)DanvilleFan Wrote: I'm still reeling from this awful decision, but what is the hiring shortlist for this job?  With the way Clevenger was dismissed I can't think of a lot of people that want to step into this job, especially with cuts made to the program over the last few years and an apparently unsupportive administration.

Alumni of Danville have got to start flexing their muscles in the community at all levels of the school system because the ship is in danger of sinking for good.  If stuff doesn't improve in the next five years, a merger with Boyle will have to happen.

I agree.  Who would want to come into this dumpster fire of a proud program right now?  

The only hope I can see is if the Board stands up to the Super and I think that odds are that isn't happening.  So that means a new board needs to be voted in when the time comes.  

As to merger, fiscally speaking it is past time for that to happen.  Danville doesn't have the tax base in the city to support the school system of 2021 and continue doing so.  Pride is a great thing until it ignores the practicality of what is.

While I would be open to a merger at this point - because I think it's hard to justify how Boyle County is a top 10 school while Danville's academic ranking has sunk over the past decade - if Burgin can keep its district going I think Danville can find a way to make it work.  What that looks like, I have no idea, but Bob Rowland left the district in great shape around 2009 or 2010 and things haven't gone well since.

And I have to think from a political perspective, Boyle wouldn't really love a merger with Danville.  It'd be great for athletics but Boyle's academic profile would change in a big way too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanvilleFan's post:
  • Jack Lambert
(01-31-2021, 07:06 AM)Budsqueezer Wrote: Coach Chirico would be an awesome hire IMO!!!!

After what happened to Coach Clevenger it’s gonna be hard to find anyone else of a high caliber. Coach Chirico is supported by the Paintsville admin, and community, he’s not leaving that to get second guessed and fired when he can’t perform a miracle.
I honestly don’t get letting him go. They were state runner up ‘16, undefeated state champs ‘17. Then 2 down years and 5-3 last season with a messed up season for all due to covid. What am I missing here and what school will land Clevenger next?
(02-01-2021, 09:30 PM)fansville Wrote: I honestly don’t get letting him go. They were state runner up ‘16, undefeated state champs ‘17. Then 2 down years and 5-3 last season with a messed up season for all due to covid. What am I missing here and what school will land Clevenger next?

Whitley County. Come on Colonels. Reel him in.
(02-01-2021, 09:30 PM)fansville Wrote: I honestly don’t get letting him go. They were state runner up ‘16, undefeated state champs ‘17. Then 2 down years and 5-3 last season with a messed up season for all due to covid. What am I missing here and what school will land Clevenger next?

Has nothing to do with X's and O's. This is a Super who cares nothing about athletics and doesn't like being told she should. She cut the athletic budget and Coach stood up and voiced his opposition to it at a board mtg. She is in year 3 of a 4 year contract and will not get another one when it expires. It became personal for her with Coach Clevenger and this is the result. I could honestly see him leaving and coming back in a couple of years. Depends on where he ends up and who Danville brings in. It's going to be a mess for whoever takes the job. A real mess !!
[-] The following 1 user Likes BEChargers's post:
  • Hatz
I hope that RB for Danville just transfers. I don’t want to see a talent like him wasted another year
This is a dumb comment. They won the state championship and had Mr. Football three years ago. They are still relevant.
This firing doesn't make much sense. Why fire an alum that won the state championship three years ago?