Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collins from North Laurel to Knox Central
What's the backstory on this move and how does it affect the hierarchy in the 13th region?
For folks that don’t know who you are talking about, Collins is a tremendously good 8th grader who led North in scoring and rebounding. This happened a week ago. She played for North last Saturday, then played (and had 27 points and 17 rebounds) for Knox Central on Monday. Not sure how that works.
Anyway, North is still the favorite in the region I believe, although the margin has now shrunk considerably. They did hammer a previously unbeaten Whitley Co. team their first game after losing Collins. Now most folks around here believe Collins is only going to be at KC for the rest of this year, then will land at South next year. If she had transferred to South now, by Laurel County rules she wouldn’t have been eligible for a year. This way she can theoretically be eligible as soon as school starts next year.
Adding Collins and the Mabe girl, another super talent who is redshirting this year, to what South will have coming back will make them the favorite for next season. We will see how it plays out.
(01-31-2021, 05:42 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: For folks that don’t know who you are talking about, Collins is a tremendously good 8th grader who led North in scoring and rebounding. This happened a week ago. She played for North last Saturday, then played (and had 27 points and 17 rebounds) for Knox Central on Monday. Not sure how that works.
  Anyway, North is still the favorite in the region I believe, although the margin has now shrunk considerably. They did hammer a previously unbeaten Whitley Co. team their first game after losing Collins.  Now most folks around here believe Collins is only going to be at KC for the rest of this year, then will land at South next year. If she had transferred to South now, by Laurel County rules she wouldn’t have been eligible for a year. This way she can theoretically be eligible as soon as school starts next year.
  Adding Collins and the Mabe girl, another super talent who is redshirting this year, to what South will have coming back will make them the favorite for next season. We will see how it plays out.
It’s my understanding that the girl’s mom is from Knox County and graduated from Knox Central. And she now lives in Knox County. She may go to South next year as you believe but that’s to be seen. Sometimes those home county loyalties are hard to overcome.
(01-31-2021, 09:48 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
(01-31-2021, 05:42 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: For folks that don’t know who you are talking about, Collins is a tremendously good 8th grader who led North in scoring and rebounding. This happened a week ago. She played for North last Saturday, then played (and had 27 points and 17 rebounds) for Knox Central on Monday. Not sure how that works.
  Anyway, North is still the favorite in the region I believe, although the margin has now shrunk considerably. They did hammer a previously unbeaten Whitley Co. team their first game after losing Collins.  Now most folks around here believe Collins is only going to be at KC for the rest of this year, then will land at South next year. If she had transferred to South now, by Laurel County rules she wouldn’t have been eligible for a year. This way she can theoretically be eligible as soon as school starts next year.
It’s my understanding that the girl’s mom is from Knox County and graduated from Knox Central. And she now lives in Knox County. She may go to South next year as you believe but that’s to be seen. Sometimes those home county loyalties are hard to overcome.

Hey, I hope you’re right. If she stays, KC will be in the mix next few years.
Losing Collins weakens North quite a bit. They’re still good, and might continue on and win the region, but it’s difficult to lose your leading scorer and rebounder and not feel the repercussions. Collins would make any team she plays for about 30-40% better. She’s that good. I’ve been following her progress since she was a 5th grader. She’s one of those players that only comes along once in a decade or so. And she’s only eighth grade!

Pump  the brakes on the 365 rule for a second.  The double move to avoid the Laurel County 365 has been tested previously and denied by admin a couple of times in the past.  The logic previously used was that if you left a LC school you could not move to another for 365 regardless of "path" taken.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gunit24's post:
  • Van Hagar
I just saw a post by a family member that Collins suffered a broken leg tonight in the Corbin game, hopefully it's a quick recovery and she gets back quick, she is a tremendous athlete for such a young age.  Many Prayers.
(02-01-2021, 10:50 PM)Oldtiger Wrote: I just saw a post by a family member that Collins suffered a broken leg tonight in the Corbin game, hopefully it's a quick recovery and she gets back quick, she is a tremendous athlete for such a young age.  Many Prayers.
I hate to hear that king of news. Collins is one of the best young players in the state and has such a bright future. I hope it’s an injury that will heal quickly and doesn’t have any lasting effects.
(02-01-2021, 10:36 PM)Gunit24 Wrote:

Pump  the brakes on the 365 rule for a second.  The double move to avoid the Laurel County 365 has been tested previously and denied by admin a couple of times in the past.  The logic previously used was that if you left a LC school you could not move to another for 365 regardless of "path" taken.
You’re right, and I have found that out since my original post, so sorry for the confusion. Jared Grubb, who wound up being a great player at South, actually tried that path once and was denied, not sure who else. And really sorry to hear about Collins, honestly I understood her decision, hope she makes a quick, full recovery.
OK let me see if I understand this 365 rule, so it would mean a transfers to South next season were to happen, she won't be able to play until the first of February 2022? Isn't she an eighth grader, she's never been enrolled in North, so would she still have to sit out the first 1/3 of the season?

Prayers foe Halle's quick recovery and to keep a positive attitude, prayers for her parents that they are making the best decisions, do not let any aspect of these conversations overshadow this is a child, who in all likelihood has had very little to do with the situation.