Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
13th Region and Mountain Basketball Trivia
(03-09-2021, 03:33 PM)Corbin Wrote: I'm just an old lump of coal with a nagging wife and too damn much time on my hands. Big Grin

LOL !   I'm obviously not gonna stump you on any Corbin questions.
Back to Corbin's Marion Cluggish, who led Corbin to the state title in 1936. He was a very dominating presence in stature and performance on the basketball court. You didn't see too many  6' 10"  dudes with his skill set back in the thirties.  In leading the Hounds to the title in '36, he scored something like  61 points, which may not seem like a lot until you consider that games, especially state tournament games, had much, much lower final scores back then than they do now.  It wasn't unusual to have a game finish with both teams in the teens.  Marion scored close to 60 % of Corbin's points in their state tournament title run.  An exceptional athlete, "Big Clug" also played football for UK.
That's the state championship that y'all stole from Williamsburg, lol.  Cluggish started his career at Williamsburg, but wanted to play football and WHS didn't offer the sport until after WWII.  Williamsburg was really good during that period and would've been a contender for the state title had Cluggish stayed.
(03-10-2021, 04:56 PM)dodger Wrote: That's the state championship that y'all stole from Williamsburg, lol.  Cluggish started his career at Williamsburg, but wanted to play football and WHS didn't offer the sport until after WWII.  Williamsburg was really good during that period and would've been a contender for the state title had Cluggish stayed.

Damn, you must be older than dirt.   LOL   You're right, Wburg  had some good teams in the thirties and forties(not that I had first hand knowledge). I think both Corbin and Wburg were still in the 51st district in '36, the year Corbin and the Cluggish boys won the state title.

Interestingly enough,  Corbin beat Williamsburg in the 50th district title game in both '40 and '41, and in each of those years the Jackets went on to win the region, the only years Wburg won back-to-back region titles.   Btw, I may be an old school hound, but I am also a big fan of Williamsburg.
Getting older than dirt, but not that old!  Had uncles on the 41 and 46 teams and loved hearing their stories about those days.  Some great sports history in Whitley County.
Who is the only head coach to record 100 or more wins(a few as girls' head coach) at EACH of four different 13th region schools ?
(03-11-2021, 11:04 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Who is the only head coach to record 100 or more wins(a few as girls' head coach) at EACH of four different 13th region schools ?
I'm going to guess Roy Bowling?
(03-12-2021, 01:23 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:
(03-11-2021, 11:04 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Who is the only head coach to record 100 or more wins(a few as girls' head coach) at EACH of four different 13th region schools ?

The coach I am referring to was a girls coach for his first two yrs as a head coach and a boys head coach the remainder of his career.  He won 662 games as a head coach, all but 49 as head coach of boys teams.

Coach Bowling was a legendary head coach at Laurel County, winning four girls state titles, including three in a row from '77-'79.  He also coached at Louisville Mercy(five years) and North Laurel(five years).
(03-12-2021, 02:38 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

The coach I am referring to was a girls coach for his first two yrs as a head coach and a boys head coach the remainder of his career.  He won 662 games as a head coach, all but 49 as head coach of boys teams.

Coach Bowling was a legendary head coach at Laurel County, winning four girls state titles, including three in a row from '77-'79.  He also coached at Louisville Mercy(five years) and North Laurel(five years).
Last guess was it Mike Jones?
(03-12-2021, 04:36 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:
(03-12-2021, 02:38 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Last guess was it Mike Jones?

BINGO!!!  Nice job, @BDB  .

Cawood  - 134 wins ( 85 boys,  49  girls)

Harlan   -   205 wins

Clay Co.  -  125 wins

Harlan Co.   118  wins

(Coach Jones also had 63 wins in three seasons at Jackson Co. and 17 wins at one season at Todd County Central)
What multi- star athlete finished his HS career with more than 3,000 points scored(33rd all-time) and more than 12,000 passing yards(4th all-time)?
(03-16-2021, 01:13 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: What multi- star athlete finished his HS career with more than 3,000 points scored(33rd all-time) and more than 12,000 passing yards(4th all-time)?

Tim Couch
(03-17-2021, 04:28 PM)Big Daddy Bull Wrote:
(03-16-2021, 01:13 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: What multi- star athlete finished his HS career with more than 3,000 points scored(33rd all-time) and more than 12,000 passing yards(4th all-time)?

Tim Couch

Yessir.  Good job.
Who's the only player in Sweet Sixteen history to be named MVP of the tournament, despite playing on a team that didn't win the  championship?
Richie Farmer-‘88
(03-19-2021, 06:42 PM)nedreader Wrote: Richie Farmer-‘88

Absolutely!!!   

Richie with  51 points in the title game.   I just wish he had gotten 1 more in regulation.
Well, that WAS in regulation. The year before when Clay won the title was the OT game.

And how about this for a run of excellence? Clay won 7 straight regions from 84-90, then after Corbin won in ‘91, won again in ‘92. During that stretch they never lost a home game, and got as high as third nationally in the USA Today rankings (in 1988). Here’s how those seasons went.
84-Elite Eight, lost to MC Napier
85-one-point loss to Hopkinsville in state finals.
86-Four-point loss in first round to eventual champion Pulaski Co.
87-state champion.
88-state runner-up to Ballard.
89-lost in first-round to Marshall Co., entered tournament unbeaten.
90-final four, lost to champion Fairdale.
92-Final Four, lost to Lex. Catholic.

That’s a run that will be hard to ever duplicate.
(03-19-2021, 07:42 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Well, that WAS in regulation. The year before when Clay won the title was the OT game.

And how about this for a run of excellence? Clay won 7 straight regions from 84-90, then after Corbin won in ‘91, won again in ‘92.  During that stretch they never lost a home game, and got as high as third nationally in the USA Today rankings (in 1988).  Here’s how those seasons went.
  84-Elite Eight, lost to MC Napier
  85-one-point loss to Hopkinsville in state finals.
  86-Four-point loss in first round to eventual champion Pulaski Co.
  87-state champion.
  88-state runner-up to Ballard.
  89-lost in first-round to Marshall Co., entered tournament unbeaten.
  90-final four, lost to champion Fairdale.
  92-Final Four, lost to Lex. Catholic.

That’s a run that will be hard to ever duplicate.

That's right, Van .  '87 was the OT game.  Damned Allan Houston.   I think the '88 team was probably better than the championship team the season before. If I recall the '88 team had a close call against Knox Central in the regional final .
I thought the ‘88 team was appreciably better than the ‘87 team. We will never know, but if the format had been like it is now, where Clay had had a full nights rest instead of just a few hours after their epic semifinal win over PRP, I think they still would have won that title. But Ballard was fantastic, so you never know.
That was an epic run for Clay. Very few runs like that ever.
I've learned to never say never because who knows fifty or sixty years from now, but I doubt there will ever be the kind of run Clay and Keith put together in the 13th region. Just like I can't see anyone coming close to doing what UCLA  did in the sixties and seventies under Wooden.  

Btw,  Clay's win over Corbin in the '92 regional final was their  111th  straight win on their home floor.  Their homecourt winning streak is also another streak that will be hard to eclipse.

Who is the only coach to have beaten a Tony Pietrowski-coached Corbin team four times in  a single season?
As good as Clay was in that run, the region was pretty strong and gave them some tough games.
I think Bell lost in overtime in the 84 finals. Cumberland lost a very close game in 85 and Cawood had the lead and the ball in the final minute of the 86 finals.
(03-20-2021, 12:06 AM)HCS Wrote: As good as Clay was in that run, the region was pretty strong and gave them some tough games.
I think Bell lost in overtime in the 84 finals. Cumberland lost a very close game in 85 and Cawood had the lead and the ball in the final minute of the 86 finals.

HCS , do you still have bad dreams about that game?     I know I still think about Corbin's 3 OT loss to Jackson Co. in the opening round in '94.  

The '85 Cumberland team was very, very good. The '84 Bell-Clay game, I think, went into multiple overtimes.
Yes, that one was very tough. The 83 loss to Middlesboro and 81 and 76 losses to Clay were also very close.
I think it was 3 overtimes in 84, but I didn't have time to look it up.
(03-19-2021, 09:20 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: I've learned to never say never because who knows fifty or sixty years from now, but I doubt there will  ever  be the kind of  run Clay and Keith put together in the 13th region.  Just like I can't see anyone coming close to doing what UCLA  did in the sixties and seventies under Wooden.  

Btw,  Clay's win over Corbin in the '92 regional final was their  111th  straight win on their home floor.  Their homecourt winning streak is also another streak that will be hard to eclipse.

Who is the only coach to have beaten a Tony Pietrowski-coached Corbin team four times in  a single season?
Williamsburg's Patrick Robinson beat Coach P and Corbin four times during the 2014-15 season, the same year the Burg went to Rupp!
(03-19-2021, 06:50 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-19-2021, 06:42 PM)nedreader Wrote: Richie Farmer-‘88

Absolutely!!!   

Richie with  51 points in the title game.   I just wish he had gotten  1 more in regulation.

Was in Freedom Hall for that one. My guess was going to be King Kelly Coleman. I thought he won MVP one year without winning the title? I guess im wrong plus his team wasnt in the 13th