Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
13th Region and Mountain Basketball Trivia
(02-20-2021, 08:33 PM)Corbin Wrote:
(02-20-2021, 01:42 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: A 13th Region school won back-to-back All-A State Titles, with the same player receiving the MVP awards both years.  What school and what MVP?

Bonus:   What two opponents did they beat in  the title games in winning those back-to-back titles?
Harlan and Lex Cath and UHA

(02-20-2021, 08:33 PM)Corbin Wrote:
(02-20-2021, 01:42 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: A 13th Region school won back-to-back All-A State Titles, with the same player receiving the MVP awards both years.  What school and what MVP?

Bonus:   What two opponents did they beat in  the title games in winning those back-to-back titles?
Harlan and Lex Cath and UHA
Charles Thomas I would imagine although Michael Jones could be a sneaky answer.

Does anyone have access to old state top 25 rankings? I know Corbin and Harlan for the biggest part of 94 and 95 held the #1 spot depending on the week. However I seem to recall a poll that had Corbin, Harlan, Clay, Jackson County, and Knox Central all in the top 15 during the same season. I’ll never forget those Corbin/Harlan battles. The crowds were electric and I’ve never seen the atmosphere matched since but dang the 13th was loaded in those days.

The Corbin Redhounds enjoyed one of the most remarkable three-week stretches in Kentucky high school basketball history in December 1993.  Billy Hicks' squad went 12-1 over a 20-day period, including a noteworthy week where they won six contests in seven days in Clearwater, Florida and Louisville.  The Hounds played in Florida on December 17, 18, and 19, where they were runners-up at the prestigious Clearwater Checkers Invitational.  CHS flew directly to Louisville, where they knocked off Boyle County, Bryan Station, Montgomery County, and Christian County in three days to claim the Derby City Invitational of Champions title. After a four-day break for Christmas, the Redhounds polished off Oneida (TN), Lithia Springs (GA), and Clay County to win their own Cumberland Falls Invitational Tournament.  Eventual Mr. Basketball finalist and current CHS head coach Tony Pietrowski was named the MVP at all three December tournaments.  Double figure scorers Kerry Sipple, Jason McDaniel, and Donnie Allen provided plenty of help for the Redhounds.  The torrid stretch would put Corbin atop the Louisville Courier-Journal's Litkenhous Ratings on January 5.  The Redhounds went on to finish the campaign with a sterling 31-4 mark but were upset in the 13th Region tournament opening round by Jackson County.

Here's the LIT ratings on Jan. 5, 1994 :

[Image: https://scontent-ort2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t...e=6060DD53]
Messages In This Thread
RE: 13th Region and Mountain Basketball Trivia - by Old School Hound - 02-27-2021, 12:59 PM