Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4th 14th Region Rankings
Rankings reflect games from 2/1/21-2/7/21.

1.  Hazard - Looked good in the Mountain Classic.  Wade Pelfrey showing who the man is in the Region.

2.  Wolfe County - Played Knox tuff.  Had battle with Hazard.  Jazz Johnson showing hes just that good.

3.  Knott Central - Should beat Harlan County but didnt.  

4.  Breathitt County - Phi Slamma Jamma in Jtown running wild.  Most athletic team in the region.  VERY DANGEROUS TEAM.  Getting better and better.

5.  Leslie County - lost to Breathitt but just one of them nights.  Not the true Leslie team we all know.  

6.  Letcher Central 

7.  Buckhorn 

8.  Estill County

9.  Perry Central 

10.  Lee County
No way Estill is 8th. They only lost to Breathitt by 6 at Breathitt. Breathitt went on road and crushed Leslie. I also don't think Letcher is 6th.

Letcher beat Lee by 4 at Letcher.
Lee beat Buckhorn by 2 at Buckhorn.
Estill beat Lee both times by 15+

Other than that its pretty much spot on.
I think right now there’s 3 teams that can win the region.
Hazard
Wolfe
Knott

I think Breathitt and Leslie can on a given night beat any team in the region but don’t think they can put 3 straight quality games together in the region. Breathitt still has to prove they can play defense and score when the game slows down. They are by far the most athletic team in the region but I’m yet to see them be able to run offensive sets in a half court game. Leslie is playing really bad right now and seem to have some team chemistry issues, but they have to talent to be dangerous on any given night.
1. Hazard
2. Knott
3. Wolfe
4. Breathitt
5. Leslie
6. Estill
7. Letcher
8. Buckhorn
9. Perry
10. Cordia
My current top 5:

1) Hazard - The Dawgs just find a way to win, Pelfrey does a great job of running Al's gameplan and several players have really stepped up this year, Shoptaw and Max Johnson have been the big difference for Hazard and have put them in the #1 slot.
2) Wolfe - The Wolves have played a really tough schedule and won some, lost some, but they have all of the firepower needed to win the region. Jaz Johnson has been the best player in the region so far, in my opinion, and others are starting to hit shots and play D. The Wolves will be hard to beat in the tourney and are my pick to get hot and finish the season in Rupp
3) KCC - Knott goes as McGuire goes, Colby Napier has been great this year and Damron has played big as well, but the bottom line is that McGuire is a difference maker inside, and if he is scoring and rebounding well, the Pats are tough.
4) Breathitt - the most athletic team in the region, but just really inconsistent, which comes from their overall youth. The bobcats have everything needed to win the big one, size, speed, scoring and coaching; but depends on which team shows up
5) Estill - I would be them just above Leslie at this point, as they have played good teams in the region very tight and their system makes them a tough game. Dylan Long is an indicated big for the engineers and that have a couple of shooters in Click and Napier. If Leslie can get more consistency, the Eagles can beat anyone in the region, Trent Day can score.
Heard today that Perry Central had 2 new kids from out of state enroll today. Anyone know anything about them?
(02-08-2021, 11:23 AM)eky.sports.fan Wrote: My current top 5:

1) Hazard - The Dawgs just find a way to win, Pelfrey does a great job of running Al's gameplan and several players have really stepped up this year, Shoptaw and Max Johnson have been the big difference for Hazard and have put them in the #1 slot.
2) Wolfe  - The  Wolves have played a really tough schedule and won some, lost some, but they have all of the firepower needed to win the region.  Jaz Johnson has been the best player in the region so far, in my opinion, and others are starting to hit shots and play D. The Wolves will be hard to beat in the tourney and are my pick to get hot and finish the season in Rupp
3) KCC - Knott goes as McGuire goes, Colby Napier has been great this year and Damron has played big as well, but the bottom line is that McGuire is a difference maker inside, and if he is scoring and rebounding well, the Pats are tough.
4) Breathitt - the most athletic team in the region, but just really inconsistent, which comes from their overall youth.  The bobcats have everything needed to win the big one, size, speed, scoring and coaching; but depends on which team shows up
5) Estill - I would be them just above Leslie at this point, as they have played good teams in the region very tight and their system makes them a tough game.  Dylan Long is an indicated big for the engineers and that have a couple of shooters in Click and Napier.  If Leslie can get more consistency, the Eagles can beat anyone in the region, Trent Day can score.

Agree with this top 5. Estill is a dangerous team. Strong defensive team currently ranked 5th in the state for lowest points allowed per game. Long is a beast. Click is gaining confidence and has played well as of late. Napier is a legit scoring threat that has to be accounted for. 
Team can beat anyone in this region if they shoot well.  I think they have to figure out that they can't let themselves fall behind early because their style of play doesn't account for erasing a big deficit late in games. They have let 2 games slip recently that leaves one to wonder. You cant nurse a deficit at the end of games and expect to win. Press and foul earlier rather than later and they will be fine.