Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Future WYMT Mountain Classic Field
I would love to see this field next year in the WYMT Tournament. It really highlights recent success and gives you the best teams in the mountains.

13th Region
Knox Central
Harlan County
North Laurel

14th Region
Hazard
Knott County Central

15th Region
Johnson Central
Pikeville
Shelby Valley
Pikeville, to my knowledge, has not been in the field since around 2007. Not sure which end isn’t excited about the Panthers being in the tournament haha. I would enjoy seeing Pikeville competing in this tournament soon.
Be hard for Pikeville or JC they're normally deep playoff fb runs and they won't time to get fb players back and settled in on time being the wymt is normally early December
That's a good field. I think a senior-dominated Harlan team could also be invited.
I think Breathitt has to be in there. They are gonna be really good the next 2 years.
I think Knott loses four starters - they probably don't make the field next year.
There’s no rule against it, but I don’t see Knott Central being left out of the tournament in their host year.

Especially after having a few years of low attendance. This would be the first time in 15 or so years Knott wouldn’t be in the tourney.

They may not want to be in it with them having a rebuilding year, but if they want to be in the tourney I’d say they’ll have a spot.
KCC shouldn't be given carte blanche for hosting tourney. Just as Perry County Central shouldn't.
(02-12-2021, 11:29 AM)UKisN1 Wrote: KCC shouldn't be given carte blanche for hosting tourney. Just as Perry County Central shouldn't.

I don’t disagree, but when you depend on them for a place to have the tournament and they’re guaranteed to bring a big crowd, you naturally make some concessions.

Perry Central has opted out of the tournament the last couple seasons and I know they were specifically asked to reconsider.

Like I said above, there is no rule for/against it and the committee will choose from the teams who apply as always.
With so many good teams in the 13th Region at this point, maybe it's time to move the tournament to Harlan or London, for at least one year anyway.
The last several years the basketball has definitely been better in the 13th.

For a while, it was Perry, Knott and Hazard dominating the tournament and it was really good for business with the tournament being held in the 14th.

I think if you had a tournament in London it would be well-attended with the right teams (maybe the highest attendance in several years). You would also open it up to the Rockcastle and Pulaski County teams in the coverage area. The problem there would be getting the 15th Region teams interested in making three trips across the parkway to play in the tournament. It would make WYMT's operating costs a little higher too.

I would love to see it happen though.
(02-10-2021, 05:40 PM)Panther Thunder Wrote: Pikeville, to my knowledge, has not been in the field since around 2007. Not sure which end isn’t excited about the Panthers being in the tournament haha. I would enjoy seeing Pikeville competing in this tournament soon.

They moved the tournament to December to try to get teams like Pikeville involved.

When the tournament was in January, it overlapped with the All A in the 15th and none of those teams were interested in the Mountain Classic.