Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
54th District Draw
Leslie vs Hazard 
Perry vs Buckhorn 

Id say there are a lot of pissed off fans in Hyden right now.  Guess your coach should voted to seed the tournament like Perry and Hazard always want to do.  Leslie may pull it off though.
Way more often than not, Leslie and Buckhorn would be the 3rd and 4th seeded teams in the district so no, it would not be smart for either team to vote for seeding.

In the grand scheme of things, the luck of the draw is best for both teams and this year Leslie got bad luck. Hazard is the team to beat in region anyway so let’s go ahead and get the game out of the way and see what happens.
Gonna be a fun first round to watch.
Just my personal opinion who ever wins the Hazard Leslie game with win the 54th district and be playing for the Region Championship vs either Wolf or Knott.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 4ever witness's post:
  • MaroonPancakes
In my opinion Leslie cant beat Perry again but we may never get to find out unless both them can win. Good luck to both teams.
We'll have to play our best game to beat Hazard. Hope it stays close till the end
[-] The following 1 user Likes MaroonPancakes's post:
  • Basketballfan1992
This is a bad situation for hazard in my opinion. Leslie is the 2nd best team in the region behind a very good knott county team. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a Leslie and knott 14th region championship game with the eagles taking it in a close one.
Hazard normally plays really well at Perry Central. Just dont see the upset happening. But more power to the eagles if they can pull it off.
(02-25-2021, 02:19 PM)Huggy_Bear Wrote: Way more often than not, Leslie and Buckhorn would be the 3rd and 4th seeded teams in the district so no, it would not be smart for either team to vote for seeding. 

In the grand scheme of things, the luck of the draw is best for both teams and this year Leslie got bad luck.  Hazard is the team to beat in region anyway so let’s go ahead and get the game out of the way and see what happens.

Guaranteeing a game vs Hazard, Perry and Buckhorn at home is a big benefit financially.

I kinda see their reasoning, but leaving money on the table in favor of having a chance at a 54th District runner-up trophy every so often is also kinda lame.
(03-01-2021, 01:24 AM)zaga_fan Wrote:
(02-25-2021, 02:19 PM)Huggy_Bear Wrote: Way more often than not, Leslie and Buckhorn would be the 3rd and 4th seeded teams in the district so no, it would not be smart for either team to vote for seeding. 

In the grand scheme of things, the luck of the draw is best for both teams and this year Leslie got bad luck.  Hazard is the team to beat in region anyway so let’s go ahead and get the game out of the way and see what happens.

Guaranteeing a game vs Hazard, Perry and Buckhorn at home is a big benefit financially.

I kinda see their reasoning, but leaving money on the table in favor of having a chance at a 54th District runner-up trophy every so often is also kinda lame.

The runner-up trophy is 100% lame, I agree with that, but it’s the chance to go to region where anything can happen that makes it worth it.  But then again I’m not sure how many times the 54th district runner-up has won region.  I would like to see the stats on that and any district runner-up for that matter.

Definitely see your financial point.
(03-01-2021, 06:51 PM)Huggy_Bear Wrote:

The runner-up trophy is 100% lame, I agree with that, but it’s the chance to go to region where anything can happen that makes it worth it.  But then again I’m not sure how many times the 54th district runner-up has won region.  I would like to see the stats on that and any district runner-up for that matter.

54th District Runner Ups that won the 14th Region Title: Since 1998 Per KHSAA:
2001- Hazard
2009- Hazard
2016- Buckhorn

Other District Runners Up that won the 14th Region in same time frame:
2007- June Buchanan 53rd Runners up.
(02-25-2021, 03:40 PM)4ever witness Wrote: Just my personal opinion who ever wins the Hazard Leslie game with win the 54th district and be playing for the Region Championship vs either Wolf or Knott.
That’s funny..you are counting out breathitt smh..Wolfe and breathitt will be there..but don’t count out the bobcats..they will be ready
With the region at Breathitt, you can't count out the bobcats, they are young but talented and capable of beating anyone in the region.
Yep your are absolutely correct! I was just predicting that Wolf wins their district so Breathitt would have to play a Winner from a cross region being either Knott, (Leslie or Hazard.) Just an assumption. Breathitt more
Capable of winning district or region. Seen them plays multiple times who ever gets into the region with the best draw will make some noise
(03-01-2021, 06:51 PM)Huggy_Bear Wrote:

I can see that.
Every time the district runner-up has won region (since Perry Central was formed) it's been an all 54th District finals in the 14th Region championship game.

I think Buckhorn benefited from the draw in 2016, but they could've played with either Hazard or Perry (obviously) in a district tourney game.
In 2005 Leslie most likely made it to region because of the draw and then lost to Perry in the finals at Memorial Gym.

Those are the only years where I would argue the draw significantly benefited Leslie or Buckhorn in the grand scheme of things. I was talking to a local athletic director about district games the other day and he said they are your shortest drives and biggest gates.

But when it comes down to it every team does what they think is right for them. I went to the meeting this year and thought it was kinda funny that the argument made for the girls seeding by Cantrell was so they didn't have to tie up six games on the schedule and the argument to seed by head-to-head for boys was because you want those six games.
[-] The following 1 user Likes zaga_fan's post:
  • Huggy_Bear
Good points.

Also, it puzzles me that the girls choose to seed off of one mans opinion.
I think seeding is the best way to do things. If you go by records, Hazard is #1, Leslie #2, Buckhorn #3, and Perry #4. Leslie in my opinion has earned a trip to the 14th Region tournament this year. Seeding is the only RIGHT thing to do.
(03-03-2021, 12:39 AM)Huggy_Bear Wrote: Good points.

Also, it puzzles me that the girls choose to seed off of one mans opinion.

I think it's a just a computer ranking when it comes down to it.
Wait until they find out the state tournament is a blind draw...