Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Russell 28 Ashland 20
Final
Final :devilflam
Ashland put up one hell of a fight. Congrats to both teams on a hard fought game. I didnt expect it to be near this close..
It use is a close game but i didn't think that it would that close great game by all that should of been the game of the week
Congrats
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
KENTUCKY WILDCATS
Did anyone listen to the Ashland post game show?
DevilsWin Wrote:Did anyone listen to the Ashland post game show?

no was it good :devilflam
Congrats Russell!
**Send me a pm if you have any questions or comments**

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
red_devils_rule Wrote:no was it good :devilflam

The Ashland broadcast crew suggested that Bill Heaberlin being both a Russell coach as well as the Assigning Secretary of officials for the KHSAA for that game was somehow inappropriate. Then to take it further, they suggested that Bill Sr being the time-keeper was suspect as well.

I am paraphrasing here but I heard it loud and clear. Make no mistake, these insinuations were made. I don't think that his opinion matters but it should have not been said.
Suprised by the final. Figured Russell would pull away in this one. Congrats Devils, and hopefully this will give the Tomcats some motivation.
Does anybody really care what Dicky Martin rambles on about?
what is ashlands record now?
dfblackcat53 Wrote:what is ashlands record now?

0-4

FBALL Wrote:Does anybody really care what Dicky Martin rambles on about?

Not really but he was unusually annoying about the whole Heaberlin issue. Especially about his dad running the clock. I don't see the problem because at the end of the game they put 10 seconds back on the clock so whatever was said was to Ashlands benefit.
Russell really dominated the first Half. The 14-0 score was not indicative of how dominating it really was.

Carter and Thomas carried the Tomcats to that 3rd quarter explosion. Both are so explosive. Teams cannot give them any open field to work with. Russell only ran 5 plays in the 3rd quarter thinks to those two, some sloppy tackling by Russell and a costly fumble on a kickoff return that led to Ashlands third TD. Ashland showed alot of heart coming out of halftime very determined after being dominated in the first half.

Russell then showed alot of heart and composure comming back and controlling the 4th quarter, scoring two TDs and eating up most of the clock despite Ashland stacking the box and blitzing to stop the run. A big part of that final drive (83 yards) with Jones injured and on the sidelines. Cordle did a fantastic job coming in late at QB.

It sure seems like Russell plays with alot more intensity and purpose once they feel threatened. Never take anything for granted.

Players of the game.

Rashard Carter for Ashland. He was like the energizer bunny. He just kept going despite take some monster hits from Jones and Abrams. Really showed some toughness. I'm not sure he knew who or where he was at the end of this game.

Tyler Jones for Russell. He is a hitting machine and don't try to arm tackle him. He is so strong. You may lose and arm. Also looked very good passing the ball. Something Russell could have done alot more of.

Honorable mention.

Drew Abrams and Adam Bates. Ran very hard picking up hard earned yards.

Also Russell's offensive line. Took control late in the game and looked to wear Ashland's defense down.

Other observations.

Both teams got hit with some stupid penalties. Russell and Ashland bothing picking up personal fouls for late hits and giving up field position.

Despite Dicky I thought the game was very well officiated.

The low turnout from the Ashland faithful was kind of suprise.

Yes it was a flop. There was not another player around him.
Easily the best game Ashland has played this season. Not coming up with the win in a great ballgame is always a heartbreaker, but the team showed a couple things they didn't do in the first 3 games.

1. The line actually opened up some holes and running lanes
2. Heart and emotion
3. Progression

This is the first week that this young team seems to have actually gotten better from one to the next. This was the biggest concern to most Tomcat faithful. The team never seemed to progress through the first 3 games until this week. This gives some hope to this young team over the next couple of seasons.

On a side note, how about the MASSIVE collisions from the QBs on each team. I counted 5 of the biggest hits of the year between Thomas and Jones with each having laid the lick in 2 while making a stalemate on a 5th.

Carter really anchored the defense and gave it his all making play after play. What a great game defensively. He was just flat worn out by all of the contact in the 4th quarter though.
Welcome to BlueGrassRivals

If you ever have any questions, problems, or comments, contact me at [email=tomcat6868@gmail.com]tomcat6868@gmail.com[/email] or via PM by clicking here [Image: http://www.bluegrassrivals.com/finalnewbanner3.png]
SCARY GAME....flashbacks of last year at Putnam...........Great entertainment,,,bad for the heart...Great Game Ashland. Great win for Russell.
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Big Congrats Russell!
Ashland is 0-4..The is mind boggling to me! I would like to find out when the last time Ashland started a season off 0-4.
PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Ashland is 0-4..The is mind boggling to me! I would like to find out when the last time Ashland started a season off 0-4.

PLAYBOY5 Wrote:Ashland is 0-4..The is mind boggling to me! I would like to find out when the last time Ashland started a season off 0-4.
It's not like they have lost to the little sisters of the poor. Raceland, Pikeville, Ironton and Russell. Thats alot of tradition and very tough early schedule for a young team. They should only get better from going through it.
Box Score (Final)
Ashland vs RUSSELL (Sep 14, 2007 at Russell)

Score by Quarters 1 2 3 4 Score
----------------- -- -- -- -- -----
Ashland............. 0 0 20 0 - 20 Record: (0-4)
RUSSELL............. 14 0 0 14 - 28 Record: (4-0,1-0)

Scoring Summary:
1st 10:00 RUSSELL - D. Abrams 2 yd run (J. Dolly kick), 4-70 2:00, AHS 0 - RUSSELL 7
01:47 RUSSELL - A. Bates 3 yd run (J. Dolly kick), 10-75 5:24, AHS 0 - RUSSELL 14
3rd 05:26 AHS - Josh Alber 1 yd run (Will Skaggs kick), 12-93 6:26, AHS 7 - RUSSELL 14
01:20 AHS - Matt Thomas 52 yd run (Will Skaggs kick), 2-55 0:34, AHS 14 - RUSSELL 14
00:01 AHS - Matt Thomas 11 yd run (Will Skaggs rush failed), 3-23 1:08, AHS 20 - RUSSELL 14
4th 08:42 RUSSELL - Ty. Jones 5 yd run (J. Dolly kick), 8-75 3:18, AHS 20 - RUSSELL 21
00:59 RUSSELL - AJ Cordle 2 yd run (J. Dolly kick), 13-83 5:51, AHS 20 - RUSSELL 28

AHS RUSSELL
FIRST DOWNS................... 14 19
RUSHES-YARDS (NET)............ 30-177 50-291
PASSING YDS (NET)............. 89 56
Passes Att-Comp-Int........... 11-7-1 4-4-0
TOTAL OFFENSE PLAYS-YARDS..... 41-266 54-347
Fumble Returns-Yards.......... 0-0 0-0
Punt Returns-Yards............ 1-21 0-0
Kickoff Returns-Yards......... 5-62 4-68
Interception Returns-Yards.... 0-0 1-16
Punts (Number-Avg)............ 3-34.7 1-35.0
Fumbles-Lost.................. 1-0 1-1
Penalties-Yards............... 7-57 6-52
Possession Time............... 19:42 28:18
Third-Down Conversions........ 1 of 6 7 of 10
Fourth-Down Conversions....... 0 of 2 2 of 3
Red-Zone Scores-Chances....... 2-2 4-4
Sacks By: Number-Yards........ 1-11 0-0

RUSHING: Ashland-Matt Thomas 12-87; Rashard Carter 12-69; Josh Alber
5-18; Drew Royalty 1-3. RUSSELL-D. Abrams 17-104; Ty. Jones 11-95; A. Bates
9-59; D. Bailey 5-17; AJ Cordle 7-16; TEAM 1-0.

PASSING: Ashland-Matt Thomas 7-11-1-89. RUSSELL-Ty. Jones 4-4-0-56.

RECEIVING: Ashland-Ryan Bonner 4-54; Corey Sparks 1-27; Adam Johnson
1-10; Rashard Carter 1-minus 2. RUSSELL-M. Dillon 1-19; J. Mitchell 1-15; D.
Abrams 1-13; D. Bailey 1-9.

INTERCEPTIONS: Ashland-None. RUSSELL-A. Bates 1-16.

FUMBLES: Ashland-Matt Thomas 1-0. RUSSELL-J. Mitchell 1-1.

SACKS (UA-A): Ashland-J. Nethercutt 0-1; JC Thompson 0-1.
RUSSELL-None.

TACKLES (UA-A): Ashland-Daniel McDaniel 3-8; Josh Alber 3-7; Rashard
Carter 3-6; Kyle Poplin 4-3; JC Thompson 3-4; J. Nethercutt 2-5; Ryan Bonner
4-2; Stephen Burns 1-5; Steven Carver 1-3; Josh Miller 1-1; Blake McCloud
1-1; Evan Holbrook 1-1; Cody Plank 1-1; Tyler Slone 0-2; Mason Fuller 0-1;
Corey Sparks 0-1; Matt Thomas 0-1. RUSSELL-Ty. Jones 5-7; D. Abrams 4-2; A.
Foster 1-5; J. Cornwell 2-2; M. Brown 2-2; W. Rice 2-2; AJ Cordle 2-2; A.
Bates 2-1; A. Roark 2-0; D. Fosson 1-1; M. Dillon 0-2; M. Rogers 0-2; G.
Bender 0-1; K. Smith 0-1; J. Moore 0-1; E. Boyd 0-1.
Congrats Russell
Congrats Russell...
DevilsWin Wrote:The Ashland broadcast crew suggested that Bill Heaberlin being both a Russell coach as well as the Assigning Secretary of officials for the KHSAA for that game was somehow inappropriate. Then to take it further, they suggested that Bill Sr being the time-keeper was suspect as well.

I am paraphrasing here but I heard it loud and clear. Make no mistake, these insinuations were made. I don't think that his opinion matters but it should have not been said.

No it shouldn't have been said and,, and he (Dicky) is always liek that when it comes to the ref's of a game if Ashland dose not win,,, And I think that I will call B98.1 and comeplan on him and see if they can do something about that!!! He just needs to keep his oppions to him slef, thats the bottom line,
Well all of the talk that ashland is horrable and all this. there not they came out ready to play especially the second half. and that ofensive line is pretty decent, but once they get their injuries cleared up and that offense starts clicking then they will be a good ball team. Not that they arent now.
Congrats Devils.
Russell has a ways to go if they think they can handle Belfry.
cooter Wrote:Russell has a ways to go if they think they can handle Belfry.

Care to elaborate as to why?
How is May and the other kid that came out of the Belfry game?????
Romans 14:11
It is written: " 'As surely as I live,' says the Lord, 'every knee will bow before me; every tongue will confess to God.' "
Midee1 Wrote:Care to elaborate as to why?
Russell struggled with Ashland...C'mon. Belfry is the king of this class this year. It will suprise me if they don't win a state championship.