Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Paintsville vs. Johnson Central (15th Region Championship)
Thoughts on this one?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Should be an absolute war. The emergence of Conner Fugate of late has been the difference in Paintsville. He was a monster tonight. I couldn’t pick a winner but I can’t wait to watch it.
(03-26-2021, 11:26 PM)SouthEast18 Wrote: Should be an absolute war. The emergence of Conner Fugate of late has been the difference in Paintsville. He was a monster tonight. I couldn’t pick a winner but I can’t wait to watch it.

You hit the nail on the head. Connor Fugate playing so well has made Paintsville a different animal the last two weeks. 

Biggest key for JC is to play tougher than they did in the district championship against Paintsville. JC has to take open 3s that are available but they can’t settle for 3s every possession. Isaiah May and Cory Vanhoose have to take the ball strong to the basket and be ready for a lot of contact.
JC 56
Paintsville 45
I’m going with Johnson Central in this one, but I expect it to be a great game.
Paintsville will control every aspect of tonight’s game and will win by 10 plus. Central can’t play against a zone defense and can’t guard enough to stop the Fugate brothers and Braxton Tharp.
(03-27-2021, 02:11 PM)Ralph Furley Wrote: Paintsville will control every aspect of tonight’s game and will win by 10 plus. Central can’t play against a zone defense and can’t guard enough to stop the Fugate brothers and Braxton Tharp.
You may be right but history suggests otherwise. JC owns two wins against the Tigers and lost one game in double OT. It sure does not seem like Paintsville is a heavy favorite to win tonight's game to me. It sounds like the two teams are pretty evenly matched. 
This one coming from a completely basis person is incredibly difficult to make a decision on.

I always go with who has the most momentum and that is definitely Paintsville and then I always say go with the best player and that’s Colby Fugate and his brother is making a push to be the second best player in the region.

But history tells us to not pick against JC in the region and the best coach in 15th region history.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(03-27-2021, 04:25 PM)Spud6 Wrote: This one coming from a completely basis person is incredibly difficult to make a decision on.

I always go with who has the most momentum and that is definitely Paintsville and then I always say go with the best player and that’s Colby Fugate and his brother is making a push to be the second best player in the region.

But history tells us to not pick against JC in the region and the best coach in 15th region history.
If Paintsville comes out on top tonight would that put Slone as currently the best coach in the 15th?
(03-27-2021, 05:28 PM)Blue_Bird96 Wrote:
(03-27-2021, 04:25 PM)Spud6 Wrote: This one coming from a completely basis person is incredibly difficult to make a decision on.

If Paintsville comes out on top tonight would that put Slone as currently the best coach in the 15th?

Not in my opinion
#BBFL

History?
(03-28-2021, 07:27 PM)Blue_Bird96 Wrote:

History?
Kinda hard to argue Spud from my view point on that. Now, I’m not historian but in my 40 years watching 15th basketball he’s 1 or 2. Idk if I could say he’s better than BMR because of the state title but he’s won a dang lot of region crowns. I would love to know all time 15th region leaders as far as titles in coaching if anyone knows that.

(03-28-2021, 08:30 PM)SouthEast18 Wrote:

History?
Kinda hard to argue Spud from my view point on that. Now, I’m not historian but in my 40 years watching 15th basketball he’s 1 or 2. Idk if I could say he’s better than BMR because of the state title but he’s won a dang lot of region crowns. I would love to know all time 15th region leaders as far as titles in coaching if anyone knows that.
Well neverrrrrrmind lol. Did a little research I think Bill Mike Runyon has 8 15th region titles to go along with the state title. Yea that’s clear number 1. McKenzie has to be in the convo for 2 though

History?

History?
Well neverrrrrrmind lol. Did a little research I think Bill Mike Runyon has 8 15th region titles to go along with the state title. Yea that’s clear number 1. McKenzie has to be in the convo for 2 though

Fair enough. I ain’t old enough to have seen BMR coach
#BBFL
(03-28-2021, 08:43 PM)Spud6 Wrote:

History?

History?

Really? He was still coaching at Paintsville in 2016 so you must be even younger than me and I am in my early 20s.

I would put Tommy pretty high up the list. He always seems to find ways to win close games in the tournament. This next year is going to really show his coaching ability because the cupboard is going to be pretty bare compared to what most of the teams in the region have coming back. He has a couple of decent guards but when you lose 7 out of your top 10 players in the rotation its going to be tough.
(03-28-2021, 09:39 PM)Mister D Wrote:
(03-28-2021, 08:43 PM)Spud6 Wrote:

History?

(03-28-2021, 07:27 PM)Blue_Bird96 Wrote: History?

Really? He was still coaching at Paintsville in 2016 so you must be even younger than me and I am in my early 20s.

I would put Tommy pretty high up the list. He always seems to find ways to win close games in the tournament. This next year is going to really show his coaching ability because the cupboard is going to be pretty bare compared to what most of the teams in the region have coming back. He has a couple of decent guards but when you lose 7 out of your top 10 players in the rotation its going to be tough.

Fair enough. I should have said I wasn’t old enough to see Paintsville under BMR in their prime. I’m mid 20s and went to Betsy Layne. So Johnson Central and Lawrence County were always the teams that beat us out of regions so Mckenzie was the man and those teams were great.
Would you put Jason Booher in that conversation? He wasn't in the 15th region long but SV was dominant under him and did win it all in 2010. Also had success at Holmes when he left SV.
(03-28-2021, 11:07 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: Would you put Jason Booher in that conversation? He wasn't in the 15th region long but SV was dominant under him and did win it all in 2010. Also had success at Holmes when he left SV.
I wouldn’t for a couple reasons.
1. he did it really with one set of kids an amazing group of talent. Obviously still hard but to me it’s about longevity too 

2. Valley won the regional title the year after he left.