Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clay County Basketball
I wouldn’t say they have been a force in the last few years and probably won’t be a contender for several years or longer the way things are going. Most kids(Clay boys and girls)that have real goals of developing will transfer if they have the means to do so. It has already happened with the Collins girl and you certainly can’t blame her or her parents. I expect it to happen more and more frequently at Clay. I guess if athletics isn’t a huge revenue producer it won’t matter anyway.
(04-05-2021, 05:49 PM)nedreader Wrote: I wouldn’t say they have been a force in the last few years and probably won’t be a contender for several years or longer the way things are going.  Most kids(Clay boys and girls)that have real goals of developing will transfer if they have the means to do so.  It has already happened with the Collins girl and you certainly can’t blame her or her parents.  I expect it to happen more and more frequently at Clay.  I guess if athletics isn’t a huge revenue producer it won’t matter anyway.

I know Corbin fans respect the heck out of Clay Co. and its incredible tradition. I, for one , hope Clay gets back to being what we've all come to expect from the Tigers. Like I said earlier, the region is better when Clay is really good.
Any update on if Gray will be coming back or not? I think it’s hard to believe he’ll be back with his guys graduating this year.
If Gray didn't come back, who do you guys think they would consider hiring to replace him?
(04-08-2021, 04:00 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: If Gray didn't come back, who do you guys think they would consider hiring to replace him?
Rumor I've been hearing is Glenn doesn't want to come back but the higher ups are begging him to.  I also heard that an assistant coach on the girls team is the one wanting it.
The asst coach from the girls team has likely interviewed for the boys job before. Pretty sure he has zero head coaching experience at the high school level and would likely be a train wreck but not sure anyone even cares anymore. There’s already been a lot of damage done over the last 4-5 years that will be hard to repair.
Do you all think they’d rather go with the girl’s assistant than Hibbard who’s already a assistant with the boys? I couldn’t imagine he’d come from Laurel County without eventually wanting the job
Hibbard would definitely be the best choice. He’s young and needs to be given time but the right choice doesn’t always happen
(04-10-2021, 10:45 AM)CatsFan99 Wrote: Do you all think they’d rather go with the girl’s assistant than Hibbard who’s already a assistant with the boys? I couldn’t imagine he’d come from Laurel County without eventually wanting the job
I'd bet this was discussed to get Hibbard over here......however he is not in the "CIRCLE" and I honestly believe he has no chance of being head coach as long as we have the same superintendent and board.
Any truth to Shannon Hoskins name being passed around in the "circle"?
Shannon would be a major upgrade to the Clay Program. Hed have a lot more athletes to choose from at Clay than where he is now. Hed be an excellent hire.
How many years of HS coaching experience does Hoskins have?
8 years at Perry Central. During those years they've won 5 District Championships, Region Finalists twice and have won two 14th Region Championships with one trip to the Elite 8 at the State Tournament.
(04-10-2021, 03:46 PM)nedreader Wrote: Hibbard would definitely be the best choice. He’s young and needs to be given time but the right choice doesn’t always happen

If your talking about Anthony Hibbard I also think he’d make an excellent HC and he’s also a very fine young man to boot.
(04-15-2021, 06:03 AM)TD Hounds Wrote:
(04-10-2021, 03:46 PM)nedreader Wrote: Hibbard would definitely be the best choice.  He’s young and needs to be given time but the right choice doesn’t always happen

If your talking about Anthony Hibbard I also think he’d make an excellent HC and he’s also a very fine young man to boot.
Hibbard will never get it.  Gray will be coach again next year and will continue to coach as long as the powers that be want him to!
(04-14-2021, 08:47 PM)clipperw Wrote: 8 years at Perry Central. During those years they've won 5 District Championships, Region Finalists twice and have won two 14th Region Championships with one trip to the Elite 8 at the State Tournament.

Pretty good resume. And with his ties to Clay County basketball, you'd think he'd be on the short list whenever Clay finds itself looking for a coach.

(04-16-2021, 12:01 PM)cchsfan4life Wrote:
(04-15-2021, 06:03 AM)TD Hounds Wrote:
(04-10-2021, 03:46 PM)nedreader Wrote: Hibbard would definitely be the best choice.  He’s young and needs to be given time but the right choice doesn’t always happen

Hibbard will never get it.  Gray will be coach again next year and will continue to coach as long as the powers that be want him to!

You may very well be right about Gray being back next year.
This is how bad the Clay County program has fell under the Gray era.........I heard from a very very liable source that Gray has reached out to schedule Owsley County next year. I mean when has Clay ever reached out to schedule Owsley County.........I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Owsley didn't beat them next year.
(04-21-2021, 12:16 PM)cchsfan4life Wrote: This is how bad the Clay County program has fell under the Gray era.........I heard from a very very liable source that Gray has reached out to schedule Owsley County next year.  I mean when has Clay ever reached out to schedule Owsley County.........I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Owsley didn't beat them next year.
The guy needs to give it up, the program will keep getting worse under  him. You just have to hate it for the kids that will have to play for him
I think you all may be a little bit alarmist about Clay. Sounds like Coach Gray  is not popular with some of the Clay contingent but I'm not convinced they will be as bad as some are thinking. I doubt if we will ever see anyone dominate again like Clay did in the seventies and eighties. Coach Keith spoiled the folks in Manchester for a long time.
(04-21-2021, 04:14 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: I think you all may be a little bit alarmist about Clay. Sounds like Coach Gray  is not popular with some of the Clay contingent but I'm not convinced they will be as bad as some are thinking. I doubt if we will ever see anyone dominate again like Clay did in the seventies and eighties. Coach Keith spoiled the folks in Manchester for a long time.
It has nothing to do with being dominate.......it has everything to do with being competitive and teams knowing there is a chance if we don't play our best Clay will take us out.  Since Gray has been coach that fear is gone.  Heck we had it when Robert Marcum was coach......We even had it when Mike Jones was coach......was Clay a dominate team then......NO......but you better believe they were feared and teams knew if they didn't play their best they were beat.  Clay will be terrible next year.......bottom of the region if you want my opinion......the point is Gray has let this program get this bad........and it is something that should never happen at Clay...Robert Marcum resigned and left Gray they keys to the kingdom with the talent he had and couldn't even get that talent out of the district 2 years.....Now I know people will say its up to the kids to play.....well if you watched the games you would see Gray made no adjustments and the other team did.....There is no way I would let my child suit up under his leadership......I'd be moving districts, schools, states or whatever it took.
Anything else been heard since schools out soon and summer ball starts up in a few weeks?
There is no summer ball at Clay Co anymore and hasn't been in a few years. Clay is now a baseball school...unless Gray is given the reigns to that sport too.
The curse of Robert Marcum.
its tough now having South and North in the region. For many years Laurel County was in the 12th Region, which kind of left it wide open for Clay, Corbin, Harlan.
It really has much more to do with Clay's decline than North & South coming to the 13th. For years, Clay would have beat the crap out of Laurel Co. and that's when there was only one high school in Laurel Co.
After assistant coach A. Hibbard's departure to be head coach at OBI, Clay has hired another Hibbard as an asst. Will this Hibbard be the top assistant? What will his role be and is Clay playing any summer AAU ball? Has there been any rumored transfers or departures for Clay so far this summer? Everything has been hush hush thus far...
Absolutely. Laurel County would have been good and won several regional championships, but they would have lost to Clay way more often than they would've won from the mid-70's to the mid-90's. Throw in Laurel County to the mix from the mid-80's to the mid-90's when the 13th was at it's peak and it would have been the best non-Louisville or Lexington regional in the state.
Saw clay play a summer ball game the other day, this team has no where near the talent across the board like they have in the past years, there is a lot of young player on the floor to get experience but watching the players as a whole and the problems with gray that is expressed in this forum, this is an awful place to be in as a tigers fan. I certainly hope something can change as the thirteen region is better when clay is competitive.
(05-25-2021, 11:49 AM)Bruiser Wrote: its tough now having South and North in the region. For many years Laurel County was in the 12th Region, which kind of left it wide open for Clay, Corbin, Harlan.
Clays downfall has nothing to do with North or South.  if you look at it when Marcum was coach North only had 2 wins against him and they had some really good teams then.  However Clay's downfall has everything to do with the Board, Superintendent, and people they put over the teams.  As long as Gray in in charge Clay has no shot.
(06-30-2021, 01:41 PM)cchsfan4life Wrote:
(05-25-2021, 11:49 AM)Bruiser Wrote: its tough now having South and North in the region. For many years Laurel County was in the 12th Region, which kind of left it wide open for Clay, Corbin, Harlan.
Clays downfall has nothing to do with North or South.  if you look at it when Marcum was coach North only had 2 wins against him and they had some really good teams then.  However Clay's downfall has everything to do with the Board, Superintendent, and people they put over the teams.  As long as Gray in in charge Clay has no shot.
I just cant believe how long this Clay stuff has carried on. I mean in all honesty they put mountain basketball on the map. If not they definitely highlighted it!!! I grew up watching them. Packed house all the time. Tiger t-shirts seen everywhere in town. Even the old tiger paw fan on a stick was commonly seen. Because it did get hot in the old gym. People need to get together and quit chopping the tail off the lizard. And go for the head it doesn't grow back. In a professional way. At this rate the people in control will be there till they decide to punch out.